Would you shoot one off the roost?

Would you shoot a bird off of the roost?

• Total voters

jgates12

I have only killed birds on the ground but I might under certain circumstances. Ole M. Wadell shot one of the limb in a video that I actually re-watched last week. He called and worked the big gobbler well after sunrise and he flew in limb to limb right above him looking for the hen. If that was to happen, I would shoot him, no questions asked.

silvestris

I have only killed birds on the ground but I might under certain circumstances. Ole M. Wadell shot one of the limb in a video that I actually re-watched last week. He called and worked the big gobbler well after sunrise and he flew in limb to limb right above him looking for the hen. If that was to happen, I would shoot him, no questions asked.

And you would have earned him as well in my opinion.

I've never shot a gobbler off the limb in my 17 years of turkey hunting... But I am not going to sit hear and say i will never do it...

It is perfectly leagal as long as it's leagal shooting light...

If I have went the whole season with out killing me a gobbler and I've about reached my point of frustration with chasing Pressured Gobblers... I may very well smoke one off the limb... I am not talking about purposly sneaking up to one on the roost and waiting for enough light to see him and then punking him off the limb..

I'm saying if I have gotton lucky enough to get in the woods and by some crazy odds I happen to set up within 30 yards off a roosted gobbler and i see him up on his limb gobbling his brains out... I prob will put his butt to sleep...

Say what you will... I am honest and aint ashamed to tell it like it is...

One thing you will get from me is the truth and nothin but the truth... I'm not like 90% of the people on these forum that act like there holier than thow and when there all by them selfs there punking birds out of fields and off the sides of roads from there truck... I don't live in a make believe world...

Oh and Im not a attorney either...

Wow, 90% that is 9 out of 10 of us. Don't say much for anyones integrity, morels or principles here.

You mentioned frustration. I hope no one kills out of frustration.

23% say they would, interesting

I think Shawn Mills understands.

BPR

I'm not like 90% of the people on these forum that act like there holier than thow and when there all by them selfs there punking birds out of fields and off the sides of roads from there truck... I don't live in a make believe world...

Got a link for that study? I must have missed that one.

Or did you just make it up? :huh:

silentK

nah....i've had the opportunity a few times....my last was the last day of our fall season this year....saw 12 gobblers in a feild bout 1 1/2 hourz before dark...got set up & kalled...they kame in to about 50 yards & started flying up for the night....a few landed in trees not 30 yards from me....i ate tag soup

Sterlo58

One thing you will get from me is the truth and nothin but the truth... I'm not like 90% of the people on these forum that act like there holier than thow and when there all by them selfs there punking birds out of fields and off the sides of roads from there truck... I don't live in a make believe world...
Oh and Im not a attorney either...

Speak for yourself brother. I would wager that the vast majority of folks on here are good honest ethical folks. ::ke:

WaltL1

No I would not shoot a bird off the roost. In this world or a make believe one.

ThatredneckguyJamie

I always thought I would...til I had the chance this year during deer season. Had 2 nice toms fly up and roost about 50 yards from my treestand one evening but it just didnt seem right.

blong

I hunted one for 4 or 5 days late season once that would squat and peek out of the grass when called to. I called his hens up and he did not want to follow but finally gave in. When he got 60 yds or so from the woodline, he flew up above me to try to find the calling hen(me) and I helped him back down to the ground. He had a spur hole thru his toe and bones were sticking out. Guess that is why he was sneaky because he couldn't fight.

doghuntin

never shot one off the roost, got to much $$$ in calls and other gadjets to wait under a tree for the sun to come up and blast him out

jigman29

If you could sneak up on a mature buck that was bedded down you would brag and be a great hunter,but if you do the same with a turkey who probably has better eyesite you would be looked down upon by your peers.I think each person has to decide for themselves what they should do as long as its legal.I for one will blast one in a minute if it happens to work rhat way,I love to call them but I love to eat them as well so I have no shame for taking an animal legally.To me it's worse to catch a bass off the bed and wipe out a whole family than to kill one turkey off the roost.

The Arrow Guru

Okay so.........

I am going to be really honest here. I have shot one gobbler out of a tree. This is the way it went down. A buddy and me had scouted some birds and every time we watched them they would be roosted in some pine trees accross a small field. They would pitch into the field and walk through a gap in a fence into some smaller clearings. So one day we set up on the edge of the field and waited. The sun came up, and we waited. It got a little later and we waited....nothing. By this time we were figiting around and talking about what was going on, well whispering. All of a sudden I heard a really loud cluck to my left. It sounded like it was on the ground and I turned to look. I thought I was about to see a turkey come through the gap into the field. Then I caught movement, there was a big ol' tom standing on a pine limb 20 yards from me that was MAYBE 12 feet high. He obviously seen me and I could not believe he had not flown off. I turned and shot him. I was proud of him and didnt feel bad about it. He made some mean turkey fingers! However I will say that I have never and will never go out to shoot one off the roost. This is the only time that I did, and do not really know if I would agian or not. My intention every time I go turkey hunting is to call him up. In fact I never really even thought about wiehter or not I would or would not shoot one off a limb. If it is legal and a person does shoot one off a limb, I really do not think it says anything about his ethics. :huh:

MCNASTY

I put I dont know because If I hunted a particular bird over the course of the season and he got to bothering me and it come to a the circumstance where it just happened I just may let him have it. But I would never intentionally go out and try to set up under a roosted gobbler on purpose. NOT HOW I ROLL!!

Kinda worries me guys would change their standards out of frustration or empty tags late in the season.

Fanfare

Banned
Its "legal" to shoot turkeys in Texas with a rifle... and under a feeder...but not much sport to that "legal' style of turkey hunting.....:huh: