WWYD - Historic Window Question

SarahFair

The bottom rail on one of my back windows is rotted and needs to be rebuilt.

Someone in previous years painted (and sometimes caulked) the windows shut and cut the sash cords.

The windows have aluminum weatherstripping that is very annoying to take on and off (and take the window shashes in and out), butnI guess they serve their purpose :rolleyes:

I've already replaced sash cords in several windows, but in order to do that I have been having to cut small access doors on the side jambs (I, meaning the unenthused SO).

In this particular room I believe I can take off the side casing without ripping the wall up and access it all, but Im not sure and I don't want to go creating more problems.

Either way, Im going to have remove the windows from the weather stripping to tie off the sash cords (if there is a simple way to do this without removing one of the strips prior, I'm all ears!)
Would yall try through the casing or cut access doors?

20230919_105902.jpg
20230919_105924.jpg
20230919_105936.jpg

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Historic windows or historic house?

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Is it on the historical registry?

GeorgiaBob

I realize it sounds like a lot of work but it would probably be easier to remove the window completely and rebuild it. Then you have all of the original pieces available to show you how to build replacement parts. It is also a lot easier to do a clean functioning install of the rebuilt window, which can be a perfect match to the old.

Even if all you can reuse is the glass, you still have a historically accurate window. Homes and buildings that are national treasures do it this way!

SarahFair

I realize it sounds like a lot of work but it would probably be easier to remove the window completely and rebuild it. Then you have all of the original pieces available to show you how to build replacement parts. It is also a lot easier to do a clean functioning install of the rebuilt window, which can be a perfect match to the old.

Even if all you can reuse is the glass, you still have a historically accurate window. Homes and buildings that are national treasures do it this way!
I've already removed the window and am planning a rebuild as soon as I can get to my dad's, my question is about removing the casing to access the sash cords

GeorgiaBob

I've already removed the window and am planning a rebuild as soon as I can get to my dad's, my question is about removing the casing to access the sash cords

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant remove the entire box frame of the window opening. The window was built as a unit. The parts, with the glass, are only the moveable parts of the window. The rest is probably shimmed in several places to make it square, nailed to the studs and crosspieces of the opening, and grouted or puttied to fill the gaps.

It may require cutting back the sheet rock to see the window structure nailed into the wall. Your window sill may be part of the window structure, or it could be a board just nailed over the bottom of the frame. Take a look and try to see a box frame.

something like this:

the modern Anderson window probably isn't much different from what they put in your home.

bany

Take off the side casing. I call it dissecting because of all it takes to not destroy or mess it up. Have fun!

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Not sure what your referring to when you say sash cords. Do they have window weights in the walls? You should be able to take the sash and panes out and replace with new fairly easy. Cost would probably be $200-$300 per window but you’d have insulated windows. I work in Walton county and could direct to a supplier if needed.

SarahFair

Not sure what your referring to when you say sash cords. Do they have window weights in the walls? You should be able to take the sash and panes out and replace with new fairly easy. Cost would probably be $200-$300 per window but you’d have insulated windows. I work in Walton county and could direct to a supplier if needed.
New what?
Modern day windows?

And yes, the window weights are what I'm trying to access with as little invasion as possible.

earlthegoat2

I know this isn’t an answer to your question but I have a bit of experience with this job. I have a house built in 1900 and if the windows weren’t original they were pretty close.

I tore out one window to rebuild it. I have experience with this too and all the tools required. I got it rebuilt and then asked myself what my goals were. My goals were to seal up the house and get rid of the leaky windows.

After I did just the one, I called a window and door contractor and got new double paned single hung windows installed. 19 of them. They were sympathetic to the period of the house but not perfectly so.

They insulated and sealed all around them and the house is way quieter and less drafty than it was. My electric bill was cut by half.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
New what?
Modern day windows?

And yes, the window weights are what I'm trying to access with as little invasion as possible.
Are there not an access panel on the sides of the window? All that I have repaired had one on each side of the window.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Are there not an access panel on the sides of the window? All that I have repaired had one on each side of the window.
The side trim on the inside and center of doubles and triples and such has a chase to access the weights and chords. I would replace them all with modern windows if it were me. Maybe just start with the broken ones first if money was tight.

bany

The side trim on the inside and center of doubles and triples and such has a chase to access the weights and chords. I would replace them all with modern windows if it were me. Maybe just start with the broken ones first if money was tight.
I was thinking the same but that metal balance or sash pc is kinda queer to an old window with rope and weight

SarahFair

I won't be replacing the windows with modern ones for several reasons.

There are no access panels in the windows, we've had to cut the ones we've repaired and the SO has said he's not cutting any more :mad:
(He's going to be cutting more, but the less I have to force on him the easier it will be :biggrin2:)
That's what I'm contemplating taking off the side casing/trim. I'm left handed with right bladed circular saw and certain types of cuts freak me out due to the way I have to lean over to see, and these cuts being at face level...