Yamaha impeller size- help!

FishingAddict

Hey all,

I have a 2001 15 hp 2 stroke Yamaha outboard that I’m replacing the impeller on. Ordered one that said it would fit on Amazon. Got it, and it was too big by a shade.
Since then, I’ve started to pay attention to how big the seller says the impeller is (duh!). But every one that I’ve found that says it will fit my motor says it’s 52 mms, when the housing is around 46 mm (roughly- I’m close enough to know 52 won’t fit).

Anyone have any suggestions? I’ve looked on Yamaha’s site but that hasn’t been much help.

Thanks!

Jim Baker

Staff member
The fins on the impeller compress a little when you put the top of the water pump on the spindle. The impeller is a little larger than the top of the water pump. You have to work the top of the water pump on to the impeller.

I have never changed a Yamaha but have changed 9.9 and 15 mercs.

Look it up on youtube

FishingAddict

Thanks Jimbo! Does that mean the fins have a bit of a bend to them? The one I got was 1/4 inch larger than the housing. I’ll look it up.

tr21

you have to hand turn the shaft as you push the impeller housing on the impeller to bend the fins.

Jim Baker

Staff member
The shaft is offset in the water pump housing allowing the impeller fins to open up to pick up water and then close to push it out to the engine. This is what makes it hard to push the impeller into the housing.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Make sure the "cup" in the blades is in the direction it rotates. Otherwise it will not pick up water.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Makes sense. Thank you!

Another couple of tips that may help:
If the gear selector on the tiller and lower unit are in neutral (or what ever gear) when you take off the lower unit, make sure they both are still in the same position when you reinstall it.
It's real easy to either move the shift rod or the tiller gear selector and not realize it. May save you having to remove the lower unit again to shift it correctly.

FishingAddict

Update:

Thanks for the advice y’all. The first video didn’t I watched when I thought I got the wrong impeller size left out the part about rotating the shaft as it was installed.

Super easy to put it in after y’all’s advice. Thanks again!