Yellow flower weed in clover - herbicide experts?

Dean

I believe it is Bitterweed also called sneezeweed.

Awesome stand of clover trying to 'nurse' through the Summer. Plan is to over-seed the standing clover, either drill or throw and mow in early Fall for hunting plot. Anyway, mowed about a month ago, but the plot has been taken over by this yellow flower pasture weed. Typically spray clethodim for grass weeds. Haven't experience with 2,4DB - broadleaf typically haven't been a major problem.....but this yellow flowering weed is.

I am hesitant to spray a light mix of glyphosate, just because of the thick clover, but may if that's a last resort. Anyway, any suggestions for controlling/getting rid of this yellow flower pasture weed in clover plot?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
It doesn't appear that 2,4d-b will kill it. Doomtrpr might have a better suggestion .... you could send him a pm.

doomtrpr_z71

24db would kill it before it flowers but I'm doubting a low dose of glyphosate will do it either. You'd have to mix dicamba with it now which won't be doing you any favors. You could try basagran mixed with 24db but you're probably going to loose 35% of your clover. Metribuzin might would work, it should be tolerated by the clover and kill the bitter weed but I'd test a small section first.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Resident expert! ^^^^

Now, if your darned deer start complaining about a few weeds in your plot .... choot'em!

Ihunt

What about Raptor? Would that get it?

Dean

Yes, it has flowered. Clover plot was bush hogged little over a month ago, grasses and this bitterweed jumped right back. Hate to knock back clover, even 35%. Bush hog again in next week or so probably, then spray clethodim grasses, then maybe a dose of 2,4DB for broadleaf. Goal is to overseed for Fall plantings, fertilize, then hunt!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Make sure of temp requirements. When I have sprayed and temp was to hot. I killed /stunted my clover.I think 90 degree for 3 days is the cut off point.Make sure you read the complete label to make sure about time after spraying for planting.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Hate to knock back clover, even 35%.

Then your best bet is to live with it until early next Spring and catch it coming out before it flowers. I have the same problem with Milk Thistle. It's taken two years but I finally got it beat back. Hope to finish it off next Spring.

Birds are your enemy. One bird flying over dropping one seed in their poop on your food plot begats the horror story. A flock of crows and you're in it up to your neck.