Yotes affecting deer population?

hunterb

Predator-prey relationships between the white-tailed deer and the coyote have been extensively studied. The coyote is a significant predator of deer fawns. Studies in Texas have shown that the coyote’s diet consists of 70% fawns during June and July. Sheep predation by coyotes is known to drop drastically when fawns are born around the first of June. The synchronous birth of fawns in June allows the numbers of fawns to overwhelm the predators, and although a large number of fawns are taken during the first month of the fawns’ lives, they become relatively secure after about one month. During winter predation again picks up and deer again become the main diet of coyotes. Although the coyote takes healthy adult deer during the winter, winter killed and wounded deer as well as carcasses and offal from hunting season probably make up the bulk of the winter diet.

hunterb

The introduction of coyotes into eastern forests adds a new twist into the management scheme of eastern fish and game departments. In the west coyotes are hunted from helicopters to protect antelope populations. In area’s where coyote populations are not controlled the antelope were wiped out by predation. This form of management is not an option for the east because of the terrain. It’s very difficult to trap coyotes and they soon learn to avoid the traps. Poisoning them is simply unethical and absolutely not an option either. That only leaves the hunters. In Arizona predator hunters harvest about 1700 coyotes a year and it does not even put a dent in the population. Predator hunting has not caught on in the east, but to maintain whitetail deer populations as a plentiful resource it will have to.

lefty

Question for the trappers ?

Are the pelts you get off coyotes and bobcat in the southeast anygood? I've seen a coyote coat from pelts that came from the upper west/midwest and it was really something to look at. I'm sure the Appalachians produce some good fur but have always wondered what the piedmont produces.

Dixiesimpleman32

GONetwork Member
Ive seen some with nice coats.seen some black ones but ive seen some rough mangey looking jokers to.Fish on.

GaHunter19

Just so you know...QDMA wildlife biologist Joe Hamilton will be hosting a special think tank session on the predator impact of deer herds during the national convention in Chattanooga TN May 31-June 3. If you're really interested, it may be worth going to.

ol mike

I've been hunting fox and coyotes for years and have did my share of scouting.
I've seen coyotes trailing deer many times and never pass up a shot -period..

I have also did alot of internet coyote hunting:bounce: and seen coyotes working full grown mule deer over.
The deer here in N. Fla. are small and a coyote would have no problem taking one down.I'd bet a mother deer wouldn't try to defend a fawn very much do to the instinct of knowing she'd be no match for a coyote.