You Know You”e Old When…

Redbow

My Grandma used to wash us grandkids in a # 2 tin tub that she sat out in the sunshine early in the day so the wash water would be warm when she gave us a bath in the early evening, most of the time just before supper.

Redbow

You know you are old if you can remember when the milkman delivered your milk to your house every morning.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
You know you are old if you can remember when the milkman delivered your milk to your house every morning.
Or the Watkins Man stop'n by once a month to peddle his salve and other wares.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Because of this thread...

The taste of green stamp glue came back to mind.

And Blue Horse notebooks.

I still like perked coffee.

Now, as for The Boyz Floatin', I will have to try that one, 'cause it's been 20 years since I took a tub bath... ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I remember when a man came by each month to pick up Daddy’s life insurance payment. He had a little pouch that hung on the front porch that Mama would put the money in. Southern Life I think it was.
In our case it was a neighbor who worked for the insurance company as a side job. He was also a deputy.

Redbow

I also remember the Fuller broom man stopping by every now and then. The guy who worked our area where I was raised made his living from the back of his old station wagon selling Fuller brooms.

TJay

I also remember the Fuller broom man stopping by every now and then. The guy who worked our area where I was raised made his living from the back of his old station wagon selling Fuller brooms.
I remember the Fulller brush guy. Mom would tell me to be quiet and we'd pretend no one was home.

Triple C

...when you come up on a small ditch while walking in the woods that you would have easily jumped over 10 yrs ago. But now, start looking either way to determine the best way to cross without jumping.

...Jumping from the tail gate to the ground. Never again.

Redbow

You know you are old if you remember when you had to draw all the water that your family used from a well with a pulley a bucket and a rope.

DOUG 281

working mules and horses was the way of life it still goes on around here but not much. MY Dad had a horse named him Tom Dad said he was a fine work horse

Redbow

working mules and horses was the way of life it still goes on around here but not much. MY Dad had a horse named him Tom Dad said he was a fine work horse

I haven't seen anyone working a Mule or Horse in the fields in many years. That would bring back lots of memories for me.

Hillbilly stalker

You know you are old if you remember when Ford cars with flathead engines were on the road.
My daddy still has a couple flatheads, that’s what he cut his teeth on. Used to say a flathead was a mans best friend. If you could get 80 mph out of one you were a fair to middlen mechanic. He’s got one in a ‘47 Ford pick up.

Hillbilly stalker

I haven't seen anyone working a Mule or Horse in the fields in many years. That would bring back lots of memories for me.
Plenty of people still work a team back home in Wv and SE Kentucky. Mules and horses. We used to go down to Paintsville Ky to the pony pulls….now that was a big time.(y)

oldfella1962

"The power was turned on at our farm when me and momma came back from my birth at the hospital. Kerosene lamps before that."

How did you light the Kerosene lamps in the dark? :unsure: My "night vision" is so bad I would burn down the house trying to do something like that in the dark!

Redbow

If you remember when the Lone Ranger programs were on the radio then you are old.

A lot of people on this site probably do not know who the Lone Ranger was or that he was on the radio before TV. We had no TV back in those days but this morning I watched the Lone Ranger on TV for the first time in many moons. That program was from 1952.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member

Take a trip over to the Amish area of west central Ohio. We did that a few years ago and really enjoyed watching farmers using draft animals. The stores, restaurants, etc are interesting too.

Redbow

Take a trip over to the Amish area of west central Ohio. We did that a few years ago and really enjoyed watching farmers using draft animals. The stores, restaurants, etc are interesting too.

Yeah I have seen the Amish quite a bit working farm animals on TV. I would enjoy watching them work in person but that won't happen now at our age here. No long trips for us anymore, to arthritic, to far gone and just don't have the energy or even want to anymore.

Hillbilly stalker

If you remember when the Lone Ranger programs were on the radio then you are old.

A lot of people on this site probably do not know who the Lone Ranger was or that he was on the radio before TV. We had no TV back in those days but this morning I watched the Lone Ranger on TV for the first time in many moons. That program was from 1952.
We used to listen to the Lone Ranger (still remember the opening music) and the Invisible man. I’m just 55, but WV is about 50 years behind everywhere else.