Your Best "Trophy"?

Your Best "Trophy"

• Total voters

GobblingDawg

What would you consider to be your best "trophy" that you have ever killed or caught? Give a few details about it, too.

I guess mine would probably be the old state record for spur length turkey that I killed back in 1991. A close second would be my 230 pound black bear that I killed with my bow about 7 years ago. Let's hear about yours!!

:pop: :pop: :pop: :pop: :pop:

Go Dawgs and come on turkey season,
GobblingDawg

GeauxLSU

Timberdoodle

I'll probably post the smallest thing... :eek:
It's a woodcock I shot when I was about 12. My dad and I jumped it on a fence row while roaming some woods in the country we spent many days and hours in when I was growing up. It was just he and I. I had never even seen a woodcock until then. When it jumped I swung on it but didn't pull the trigger since I wasn't sure what it was. It landed not far away. My dad said "That's a woodcock. It's a 'high class' bird and is good eating. They're in season now so let's see if we can get it." I walked to the end of the fence row where it joined with some woods and jumped it again. It scared the youth out of me and I swung on it and dropped it quick with one shot from my 20. I walked over and picked it up and studied it. My dad came over and said "Great shot!! That's a beautiful bird. We should mount it." My dad worked his rear off and mounting something like a woodcock was an expense that you didn't take likely at that time. That bird is in a case at home today. Still looks great and will probably always be my favorite 'trophy'.
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

coon dawg

GONetwork Member
4 -way tie

5 1/2 year old ten point taken on National Forest in WVA, 5 1/2 year old 10 point taken with my bow in Georgia, on a heavily hunted club........4 1/2 year old 8 point off Flint River WMA, and another 5 1/2 year old 8 point taken off a heavily hunted Georgia club. :) :)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
the 10 I shot last year with my rifle is my first measurable trophy...but many, many deer before him were trophys that I will noever forget.

Jim

Racor

Don't think mine would be a single "trophy". When I was 19 I headed out on a little fishing trip with a friend of mine. Once at the lake we started to fish for "white bass".

We were fishing an old road bed and started to see some activity. Well we fished there for about two hours and caught well over 100 fish each. At one point I caught 25 bass in 25 casts (my friend caught 18 in 18 casts). Was one of the best days of fishing (if not the best) I think I've every had! We still compete with each other and refer to that day some 20 years ago. The fish were all in the 1-2lb class and was a blast to catch!

I remember actually shaking the fish off the line so I could get that lure back out there!

Who knows...maybe it was just the day, the fish, the fun or whatever but it will always rank high on my outdoor fun scale! Had one good fish fry that weekend! ;)

If one could have a "trophy moment" then I'd have to say this was it. :)

Victor DeVine

My Top Three

Penfield Gobbler (called in by Gobbling Dawg) :eek:

Fat old Terrell Co 9 point that I saw from 300+ yards crossing a powerline, then cut it off at the pass :shoot:

9.5 lb (on a piece of junk hand scale...I bet he is over 10 ::; ) Tift county largemouth that I put back after seeing the disappointment on the landowners face :( :cry: :( :banginghe :banginghe :banginghe

I was only 18, I should have took that fish and run :banginghe

Limb Hanger

Its a toss up b/w two whitetails that I've taken with a bow. The first was a 5 1/2 yr old 7 pointer that I killed in Raleigh NC during school he grossed 134 5/8. The second is a 4 1/2 year old 13 point that I killed in KS he grossed 174 and some change. The KS deer dwarfs the 7 but the 7 still is hanging right beside him!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I shot my first two deer with a bow this past year. Both rank at the top of the list. The very first one was the smallest deer I've ever shot but you couldn't get the smile off my face.

Perhaps at the top of the list is the first dove I ever shot. I had a single shot .410 that I was using for the first time. My dad got up and walked over to talk to my grandfather and I stayed sitting. A dove flew over and I pulled the hammer back and shot. When that dove fell the looks on their face was a picture I will NEVER forget. I think that day is the reason I like dove hunting more than anything else. Now that my grandfather has died it makes that day even more special knowing that he passed the tradition to my dad, who passed it on to me.

Handgunner

My 8 point (avatar) taken with a rifle two years ago... Would be my favorite trophy.

Next would be my 450lb canadian black bear...

Arrow3

I have a 10 lb largemouth and a 13 point Whitetail on the the wall....They have to play second fiddle to my 4 bearded gobbler I killed in Wilkes County in 2003. :cool:

Arrow Flinger

My favorite trophy is one I don't think I will ever top. It was a 80 pound 4 pointer killed by a very excited 7 year old .

E

Etter1

1. 275 lb archery black bear

2. 7 pointer killed at cedar creek (thanks again tommy)

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
I voted Bow/deer. That was my first OTG deer with a bow and no blind.

In retrospect, being at the helm off of Cape San Blas with a 44" and a 46" redfish as well as a 40 pound Jack hooked up, controlling the boat and assisting in landing all of these fish simulatiously was probably the most awesome experience I've had while hunting and fishing and the photos that followed are among my favorite trophies.

Briar

GONetwork Member
Mine was this year , my son killing his first deer a 4 point and I got it on video and he won his GONetwork district and his SEEDS district . See GON March issue district 50. Now what would be the icing on the cake would be that new truck !!!!

Dog Hunter

Ole Tom I took back in 87 that would have rank #1 at the time if I had him scored. 26.5 pounds, 13.25" beard and matching 1.675" spurs. He was a sure nuff hoss.

Trizey

Dog Hunter said:
Ole Tom I took back in 87 that would have rank #1 at the time if I had him scored. 26.5 pounds, 13.25" beard and matching 1.675" spurs. He was a sure nuff hoss.

Got a picture? I'd like to see those hooks! :cool:

Dog Hunter

I've got one picture left but it is at about 20 yards. You can't tell anything about him. Didn't know much about taken pictures at the time for memories. I think the spurs are still at my parents house, I will have to look next time I am there.

Duff

Probably a 10 pt I got in Schley Co in 2000. It is the biggest I ever killed but the shot was just as special. One of those last second and last chance deals thru a softball size hole in the brush.

Limbhanger and Coondawg my hat is off to ya'll. I taken a couple of 4 1/2 yr old bucks both on private land. Take 4-5 yr old bucks consistantly, now that is a hunter.

Latest posts