*Update*Tractor help

cr00241

I am looking into buying a tractor. I want a FIL, 4x4, and a cab with a/c, heat. I have found a good deal on a Kubota L3540. My issue is all the implements we have I don't think the tractor could handle.

I am using a Ford 3000 now, I know that this tractor has more horsepower but it is a 2wd. The bush hog is 6ft and the disc harrow is 10ft. Judging by the lifts the L3540 should be able to lift it but I don't know about actually using the implements. I feel like the 6ft bush hog might be too much for the L3540 and the disc might be too much for it even if I use it in 4wd low.

I am trying to decide whether I should jump on this deal or wait a while and find something with more HP. I definitely do not want buyers remorse.

I want the tractor to last a very long time and don't plan on getting rid of it since I bought my own land.

Any advice for a newbie would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Forest Grump

In my opinion, that is not enough tractor for the implements you listed. Kubota lists the gross hp @ 37, but the pto hp is 26-29, depending on configuration.

I think if you get that one, even in 4wd, you will soon be wishing you had a little more tractor. The only time somebody wishes they had a smaller tractor is when they have to move (haul) it. JMO...

That's a big disc even for a 3000 though, so I'm guessing maybe it's not a heavy, box-beam style? Remember when considering lift capacity, when you are using a harrow & lift it out of the dirt, you have not only the weight of the implement, but also friction & some soil you are lifting initially. Plus, you don't want to max your machine regularly or the wear & tear on it will be excessive.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
In my opinion, that is not enough tractor for the implements you listed. Kubota lists the gross hp @ 37, but the pto hp is 26-29, depending on configuration.

I think if you get that one, even in 4wd, you will soon be wishing you had a little more tractor. The only time somebody wishes they had a smaller tractor is when they have to move (haul) it. JMO...

That's a big disc even for a 3000 though, so I'm guessing maybe it's not a heavy, box-beam style? Remember when considering lift capacity, when you are using a harrow & lift it out of the dirt, you have not only the weight of the implement, but also friction & some soil you are lifting initially. Plus, you don't want to max your machine regularly or the wear & tear on it will be excessive.

This. ^ The L3540 isn't even close to being enough tractor for your discs and barely enough for the bush hog especially with an FIL hanging off the front end. Fill the tires with anti freeze for traction and you're riding a lead sled.

If you want to continue to use those implements you need a tractor with > 50 HP and 50 HP minimum at the PTO.

Like Forest said, whatever you get you'll wish you had gone bigger. I know this to be true from experience. I love my little New Holland TC35D but I wish I had gone bigger because some tasks are a struggle with it.

Compact tractors are all that plus a basket of chips for light duty like smaller foodplots and mowing roads etc. but if you want to do more than that you need something with more oomph.

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
This. ^ The L3540 isn't even close to being enough tractor for your discs and barely enough for the bush hog especially with an FIL hanging off the front end. Fill the tires with anti freeze for traction and you're riding a lead sled.

If you want to continue to use those implements you need a tractor with > 50 HP and 50 HP minimum at the PTO.

Like Forest said, whatever you get you'll wish you had gone bigger. I know this to be true from experience. I love my little New Holland TC35D but I wish I had gone bigger because some tasks are a struggle with it.

Compact tractors are all that plus a basket of chips for light duty like smaller foodplots and mowing roads etc. but if you want to do more than that you need something with more oomph.

Blue tractors have 0% financing on them now :biggrin2: 50 hp minimum for what you want. Be sure that you really want a front end loader. They are like a sore thumb, sometimes.

cr00241

Thanks for the advice and direction. I think I would be wanting more HP. I got a quote on a L4760 and they have 72 months no interest.

The Ford 3000 picks the disc up easy, I just don't want to get too big of a tractor where I can't maneuver it in the woods and trails I want to keep cut.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I just don't want to get too big of a tractor where I can't maneuver it in the woods and trails I want to keep cut.

And there's your problem. I have the same one. Compacts have a short turn radius which is good for tight spaces so if you go with something bigger you might have to get real good at just backing up.

Decisions, decisions.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Be sure that you really want a front end loader. They are like a sore thumb, sometimes.

Once you disconnect one and reconnect it you'll find out why. :bounce:

cr00241

[/QUOTE]Decisions, decisions

I wish I could test drive a couple on my land first and see how big I can get around with!

maker4life

JD 5065E big enough to do what you want and small enough to go where you want.

Forest Grump

Once you disconnect one and reconnect it you'll find out why. :bounce:

What is the "sore thumb issue"?

On the one hand, why would you disconnect it if it ain't broke? On the other, 4 quick-connects, & you can back away; biggest issue is hooking back up, where you have to line it up straight to latch it back.

I would never buy a tractor without a FEL, unless I already had others that had one. Anybody with one machine will find many, many uses for a FEL. But if your tractor is too small, you will many times curse it for being unable to do what you are trying to accomplish.

southernman13

50hp M series kubota w shuttle shift. That's a real nice tractor. I have one hehe. I also have a 45hp 2wd Massey without FEL. It's very strong and smaller than the kubota I have. It'll get around in tight areas better than the M5040 I have and it'll pull one of them smaller tractors like the L35 size kubota backwards even if it is 4wd. I love that Massey doubt I'll ever sell it but it just won't do as much as my bigger kubota. If you can swing it get at least 50hp and the shuttle Shift is a really nice feature. I like it better than the hydrostatic and far better than the standard shift. No matter what though they're all good. Good luck

Lilly001

I agree with Forest on the loader. I wouldn't own a tractor without a loader and 4wd.
And Maker4life is dead on with the Deere 5065e.
I can do about anything I want with mine. Including clearing an old drag trail through a dryed up creek bottom where I had my rear tires rubbing trees on both sides. It's an incredibly strong yet maneuverable machine. And I think Deere still has 0% for 60 months.

Canuck5

A FEL is a great tool, that can do a lot of things. Handy to have to move around dirt, rock, stone, firewood, tools, etc.. Make a list of things you want or think you can do with it.

If you've got tight corners, small plots, narrow roads, and you're not using the FEL, it's one of those things that can just get in the way. Some of the timber properties we've had, would make life difficult with a 6 foot bush hog on the back and a FEL. We'd have hit a lot of things.

I'm just saying that if you have lots of wide open spaces and truly know what you're going to use it for, get it, it's a great tool. Getting fluid in your rear tires, might also be a consideration, if you truly will use the FEL a lot and not be driving on the road with it a great deal.

My experience comes from hauling manure out of cattle feed lots, for many years ...... LOL, I've hit my share of things.

Let me also suggest that getting rear hydraulic remotes, whether you think you need them now, or not, is a good thing.

Take a look at other brands of tractors too and ask questions before you buy new. Kubota's are great tractors, but a couple of things I don't like on them are the little "site glass" on the back, to show your hydraulic/transmission oil level. I prefer a dip stick.

My blue diesel tractor, when changing the fuel filter (or running out of fuel), will self bleed itself and start up. The Kubotas (and people can correct me where I am wrong), involve a few tools and a little more experience to do the same job.

"Plastics" (knobs, handles, gitchees) on tractors are real nice when they are new, but they just don't stay that way real long, when under use. My preference is wire forms and metal.

Some of the new tractors have a "special" pollution control device on them now a days. Similar in function to a catalytic converter on your car. Ask about that and understand what it does and what to expect in it's "cleaning" process.

If you plan to use the FEL a lot, get a hydrostatic transmission.

Not bashing Kubota's, because I think they are a good tractor! Lots of good small tractors out there now! With shorter wheel base, lighter tractors and a FEL, you will want 4WD.

Consider where the nearest dealership is, in relation to your property.

Just my 2 cents ...... LOL

cr00241

I pushed roads out with my dozer that are 8-12ft wide all the way around. I should have enough room with the FEL to get around. The biggest factor to Kubota is the dealership is less than a mile from my land. So if I do buy new, warranty work would be easy to get too.

I haven't looked at JD because I've always heard you pay more for green and the parts cost more. I know thats like the argument between Chevy and Ford.

A lot of good information here and I am glad I posted on here before I bought that 3540.

mossyoakpro

Here's an idea....keep what you have now to handle the bigger equipment and use the Kubota for your other needs. I wish I had 2 tractors, you can keep different things hooked up and don't have to keep changing implements. It comes in real handy when planting...put the harrow on 1 and the planter/spreader on the other. The FEL is a handy item to have but as everyone has said already it can get in the way when it's not being used.

Best of luck in your decision!!

southernman13

Kubota parts are expensive as well. I would imagine most anything that has to come from any dealer would be expensive. For me I wouldn't be concerned with warranty issues. I've never bought a new tractor and have had many used tractors of all kinds and ages. In my experience these things are very reliable and durable. I've never had to fix anything that would have been a warranty issue. I think all smaller tractors like less than 75hp. Or so are imported even the Deere 5065. I believe it's made in India. I'd go test the ones you can and then decide. Some just feel better than others. God luck.

Canuck5

I pushed roads out with my dozer that are 8-12ft wide all the way around. I should have enough room with the FEL to get around. The biggest factor to Kubota is the dealership is less than a mile from my land. So if I do buy new, warranty work would be easy to get too.

I haven't looked at JD because I've always heard you pay more for green and the parts cost more. I know thats like the argument between Chevy and Ford.

A lot of good information here and I am glad I posted on here before I bought that 3540.

A close by dealership, would get my vote!!!

Canuck5

Here's an idea....keep what you have now to handle the bigger equipment and use the Kubota for your other needs. I wish I had 2 tractors, you can keep different things hooked up and don't have to keep changing implements. It comes in real handy when planting...put the harrow on 1 and the planter/spreader on the other. The FEL is a handy item to have but as everyone has said already it can get in the way when it's not being used.

Best of luck in your decision!!

Something to be said, for that logic!!

Canuck5

Kubota parts are expensive as well. I would imagine most anything that has to come from any dealer would be expensive. For me I wouldn't be concerned with warranty issues. I've never bought a new tractor and have had many used tractors of all kinds and ages. In my experience these things are very reliable and durable. I've never had to fix anything that would have been a warranty issue. I think all smaller tractors like less than 75hp. Or so are imported even the Deere 5065. I believe it's made in India. I'd go test the ones you can and then decide. Some just feel better than others. God luck.

Yeah, most of that size or smaller are imported. New Holland and Case-IHC are the same tractors, except for the color.