*Update*Tractor help

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I haven't looked at JD because I've always heard you pay more for green and the parts cost more.

You definitely do. We have a JD 5045 on our family farm in South GA. It doesn't do the job any better than less expensive tractors. IMHO I got more bang for my buck with my New Holland.

Trigabby

My blue diesel tractor, when changing the fuel filter (or running out of fuel), will self bleed itself and start up. The Kubotas (and people can correct me where I am wrong), involve a few tools and a little more experience to do the same job.

Had this experience not too long ago.. At least on the 2012 and newer Kubotas, it's just a simple twist of a knob and about 30-45 seconds of cranking and it bleeds itself...

Pretty easy.. I did have that happen on a 1997 tractor and that was, let's say, a bit more work, lol...

Trigabby

What is the "sore thumb issue"?

On the one hand, why would you disconnect it if it ain't broke? On the other, 4 quick-connects, & you can back away; biggest issue is hooking back up, where you have to line it up straight to latch it back.

I would never buy a tractor without a FEL, unless I already had others that had one. Anybody with one machine will find many, many uses for a FEL. But if your tractor is too small, you will many times curse it for being unable to do what you are trying to accomplish.

I think what elfii meant is getting the quick-connects connected, disconnected... I know after sitting in the sun (even on a cold day) they are a real pain because you have to relieve the pressure with a nail and hammer (in the connect, not the hose, lol) I love using my FEL, and love taking it off... I HATE putting it back on. Takes me 3-5 minutes to remove.. a while longer to put back on.. facepalm:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I think what elfii meant is getting the quick-connects connected, disconnected... I know after sitting in the sun (even on a cold day) they are a real pain because you have to relieve the pressure with a nail and hammer (in the connect, not the hose, lol) I love using my FEL, and love taking it off... I HATE putting it back on. Takes me 3-5 minutes to remove.. a while longer to put back on.. facepalm:

:bounce::cool: Sometimes I think I'd rather be beat with a football bat.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

cr00241

Here's an idea....keep what you have now to handle the bigger equipment and use the Kubota for your other needs. I wish I had 2 tractors, you can keep different things hooked up and don't have to keep changing implements. It comes in real handy when planting...put the harrow on 1 and the planter/spreader on the other. The FEL is a handy item to have but as everyone has said already it can get in the way when it's not being used.

Best of luck in your decision!!

The Ford 3000 is my Father-in-Law's and I am tired of bumming it when I need to do something. He has been talking about selling it so I figured I better start looking now. I want to pay my land off soon so after I do that I might see if he will sell it to me to keep around too.

These new tractor prices are steep but I feel I rather spend the money on a nice one that should last my lifetime. The Kubota dealer I talked to said anything under 100hp doesn't require DEF yet.

Lindseys Grandpa

Unless you have a definite need for a loader i would go w/o. About once a year go rent you a bobcat to handle loader needs.

lonewolf247

Maybe you don't need a FEL? You said you have access to a dozer, which is better for pushing and clearing, anyhow. Unless you really have a need for lifting and using the front bucket?

I've been doing food plots and using tractors, for over 30 years and never owned a front end loader. I'm not saying it's necessary a bad thing. However, if you don't need it, you could put that extra money towards horsepower and 4-wheel drive. Buy a Kubota in the 50-60 horsepower range.

cr00241

Maybe you don't need a FEL? You said you have access to a dozer, which is better for pushing and clearing, anyhow. Unless you really have a need for lifting and using the front bucket?

I've been doing food plots and using tractors, for over 30 years and never owned a front end loader. I'm not saying it's necessary a bad thing. However, if you don't need it, you could put that extra money towards horsepower and 4-wheel drive. Buy a Kubota in the 50-60 horsepower range.

I actually just sold the dozer since I finished doing everything I needed to do with it. I needed that cash to help get a tractor.

I think the 50-60hp range is where I am going to keep looking at.

Forest Grump

I actually just sold the dozer since I finished doing everything I needed to do with it. I needed that cash to help get a tractor.

Excellent choice; that is a very good HP range for running most equipment. Ideally, look for machines with 2 open remotes in the rear; then you can run anything. Pick your color: green, blue, red or orange, use a dealer close by, even if it costs you a few bucks, because if you hunt a deal, that guy will take it out of you on service calls...

Just a tip, based on some stuff I have read in prior posts, let's say you are in some tight quarters... (you own your dirt, so if you have an annoying tree in the wrong place, cut it down or move the road over! :D)... But for the folks who lease: if you raise your front end loader up as high as it goes, your tractor is NO longer than it would be if you didn't have one... If you need to wiggle down a crooked break, raise the bucket. Otherwise, bravo for buying a dozer, using it until you are done then selling; just got one for exactly that purpose. Will sell it for what we paid or more, no cost to use it for a year.

In terms of having a FEL: rarely do I use a tractor that I don't use the FEL; pushing fallen logs out of the road/plot, smoothing off some hump, filling a hole, carrying extra seed or ferilizer to refill the spreader/drill.

Last edited:

Stroker

This will make hooking any hydralic remotes easy. As soon as you disconnect the hydralic hoses take each male QD fitting and press the ball end against a hard surface to release a small amount of hydraulic fluid which will eliminate the thermal expansion issue. When hooking back up shut the tractor off, operate all hydralic controls to release any trapped pressure, then those remote QD's will hook right up

lonewolf247

Ok then, you might opt for the FEL after all. The extra cost will prolly be worth it.

I'd definitely opt for the more horsepower though. You will be glad you did.

SlipperyHill Mo

50 hp Kubota M5200 FEL 4WD with HST hydrostatic transmission. I just bought one 2 weeks ago. Only put 12 hours on it so far. Buckets does get in way have to get used to it. This tractor is very maneuverable. Thought about smaller but glad it didn't. Bucket pushes over trees and briars while bush hogging. This is nice. Don't think I will regret it. Should last me the rest of my life.

BriarPatch99

Many of the front end loaders now have quick disconnect buckets ... pull a couple pins ... lower the boom and back away ... this leaves a much shorter part of the FEL sticking out to be in the way ....

We have a 100 hp JD four wheel drive .... we do this to make it more suitable for close quarters work .... nothing but a plate sticking out ....

grouper throat

I second that I wouldn't consider a tractor without 50+ hp, FEL, and 4wd. We have mostly green and blue on the farm but the features are more important than brand these days with the compacts IMO. Also think more about what you will use it for as most of us can give all our opinions yet use these for different tasks that you might not.

cr00241

After all the great input from here and using the equipment we already had, ended up getting a Kubota M6060 4x4 with a FEL. Decided more horsepower was worth it to not get a cab. Maybe will add one down the road.

Attachments

• kubota.jpg
    kubota.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,021

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
Very nice!!!!!