JBowers

precedent the decrepitude

Attachments

• ADF4374C-C5A7-41F9-B44C-02109CD8ACD4.jpg
    ADF4374C-C5A7-41F9-B44C-02109CD8ACD4.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 127

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
The shear folly! You don't think they could actually kill a deer without corn, do you?!?!:huh:

They also didn't have a government telling them how, when or what to hunt..

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
?!?!?! Those fellers forgot to paint their 'Fool's Gold' in their picture!!!

The shear folly! You don't think they could actually kill a deer without corn, do you?!?!:huh:

If you look around the edges you will see a LOT of "Fools gold" in the picture.It was in the rocks they didn't even have to paint it into the picture.Must have been a way of life back then..:bounce::cheers:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
They also only killed what was needed for sustenance, not for trophies. :D:pop:

Pretty sure they used deadfalls and snares and ran whole herds off of cliffs. Killed them swimming rivers too.

Browning Slayer

They also only killed what was needed for sustenance, not for trophies. :D:pop:

So, they didn't use or display antlers back then? I've killed a ton more deer than what I have hanging on my walls. Deer heads are only a bonus! I hunt cause I love meat! Steak is my favorite food!

Browning Slayer

Every part of the animal was put to use. Nothing went to waste, unlike the modern day hunter.

They had too.. I don't.. I have gun powder and I only eat the good stuff.. :D

Browning Slayer

You are probably one of those "catch and release" miscreant fishermen too. :bounce:

I don't think you realize how much I love to fish.. If I kept all the fish I caught, I would put a major hurting on my fisheries.. :D

Browning Slayer

Do you fish for trout with corn?

Nope. But it's legal to trout fish with corn so if I can't hunt deer over corn, why should we be able to fish with corn. :biggrin2:

shdw633

So, they didn't use or display antlers back then?

No, evidently they didn't have taxidermists back then and had to draw their trophies on the wall. They also did use bait in deadfalls and snares like Throwback stated.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I'm certainly no wildlife biologist so I beg some leniency in this discussion. Logic dictates that if tainted protein enhanced food that caused an outbreak of BSE was identified as the cause then the same prion proteins could exist in the same type supplemental feed / baiting programs implemented on deer, causing CWD. Since both TSE's seem to be highest in concentrated populations in penned areas, ie. Cattle farms and high fence trophy deer operations, then it also seems to reason the source of the cause could be narrowed down.

The secondary concern of spreading the disease would come from deer sharing the same feeders, since they don't actively engage in mouth to mouth activities like humans do, but will actively spread saliva and even urine on bait spread over the ground. Or in trough conditions saliva in the feeder.

If no effort is concentrated on a root common cause then it would reason the secondary concern of containing the spread would be an exercise in futility. Cattle farmers were certainly able to nail down the cause in a manner effective enough to stop the causation, it is just peculiar to me that no effort in that same area has been expended on CWD with the deer population.

If this cause is not studied for the potential of a common denominator then how does one outside of the high fence business ever expect to get a clearance certification from the USDA APHIS program once it is determined to exist in a States wild cervid population?

Again, no wildlife biologist here, but highly curious as to why the logical steps haven't been even put up for scientific case study.

You certainly make a good point. While I am a biologist, I'm certainly no disease researcher so I made a call to one to find out more info. I'll let you know what I find out. What I do know is that FDA banned mammalian protein from being used in feed for ruminants in 1997, so that's one big reason the feed is really unlikely to cause disease.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You certainly make a good point. While I am a biologist, I'm certainly no disease researcher so I made a call to one to find out more info. I'll let you know what I find out. What I do know is that FDA banned mammalian protein from being used in feed for ruminants in 1997, so that's one big reason the feed is really unlikely to cause disease.

Ask them about any links between the protein TDP-43 and CWD/Mad Cow/Alzheimers

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master

Good info, thanks for following up. The more I read the more I see how this has to be a monstrously frustrating undertaking for you guys. Thanks for all your hard work.

Killdee

I did read last week that a confirmed case of CWD showed up on a club in Mississippi. If I can find it again I'll post up a link.

Just google it, plenty of stories on it, they banned feeding in 6 counties around it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty sure they used deadfalls and snares and ran whole herds off of cliffs. Killed them swimming rivers too.

You forgot the deal where they would set the woods on fire and then waited at the other end and shot whatever ran out. :D

No, they used antlers, when they got them, for tools and weapons. Every part of the animal was put to use. Nothing went to waste, unlike the modern day hunter.

Don't lump all modern day hunters. I usually save and use hides, sinews, antlers, and sometimes bones. When I get done with a deer, it usually looks like the buzzards been on it. :)