CWD

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hopefully this might help with perspective. I pulled these numbers from a study on mad cow disease. To date there has never been a single instance of CWD causing disease in humans, but I'm using this as a hypothetical example.

This is mad cow disease NOT CWD!

Approximately 10 million people are believed to have been exposed to mad cow disease by eating contaminated beef from 1980 to 1996. Of those, they believe approximately 32,000 (0.32% of the population) were genetically susceptible to mad cow. The total number of people that contracted the disease was 232 (0.00232% of the total population, all died from it). While this was obviously a terrible tragedy for those who died, the risk to the individual was very low.

if I see or kill a “Rank” hog, I won’t bother putting my knife on it. I’ll take the Same approach with a deer. If it’s rank looking, I’ll call DNR on it, but won’t put my knife on it. Make your own definition of rank, but to me it just looks like it shouldn’t be eaten. I’ve been fortunate that I’ve only encountered a few pigs that were rank and they weren’t even big ones. I’m gonna enjoy eating game and not worry about this stuff if it looks like it wants to be eaten.

P6smSKC

Thanks again for all the answered questions Killmaster.

It is just my opinion, but I really think they should not allow deer farming at all since that seems to be what spreads CWD throughout the country. One would think its time to just pull the plug on that to slow down the spread to the rest of the areas that still don’t have it yet.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the info!
Nc has already passed a law that you can’t bring bone-in meat or a whole deer head from any other state.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Thanks again for all the answered questions Killmaster.

It is just my opinion, but I really think they should not allow deer farming at all since that seems to be what spreads CWD throughout the country. One would think its time to just pull the plug on that to slow down the spread to the rest of the areas that still don’t have it yet.

That would entail shutting down hundreds or thousands of small businesses (country-wide, not GA), so I doubt that will ever happen. I think if USDA had put a moratorium on transportation or at least stopping movement across state lines until a good live animal test and/or vaccine was developed we would be in a lot better shape. I believe our lack of a breeding industry for whitetails in GA has a lot to do with us not finding it here thus far.

TheWildLife

I can attest to Mr. Killmaster's information about the DNR being responsive to sampling of deer. Yesterday evening I made my usual rounds on property. Was extremely surprised by a buck on the ground unable to hold it's head up or get up to run off. The buck had not eaten in a while and was emaciated. The deer had green flies on it's hind quarters and around it's antler bases but no external injuries. I contacted Stanley Kirby, Rum Creek WMA, as our local ranger has retired and I don't know who is replacing or has replaced him. After sending video to Stanley and discussing it with him, it was advised to put the deer down. DNR was at my house first thing this morning to take samples, but it wasn't necessary. His right antler had broken off with skull fragments still attached to the pedical and some pretty nasty fluid coming out. Cranial abscess was diagnosis. This was the first time I had witnessed something like this in 40 yrs of deer hunting and it had me worried a bit. Definitely appreciate the DNR and their capabilities.