Honest Question 2

sportsman94

If there was a deadly disease that deer carried that could be passed to humans, would you still hunt? Say the chance of a deer carrying it was 50%. Would you hunt, process, and wait to eat until the deer tested negative? Would you only shoot mature bucks and give up eating them? I know CWD hasn’t jumped to humans yet, but I’m a little worried about prion diseases. More so for my family than myself even. I haven’t decided what I would do, but I have been pondering what happens when it is confirmed here and if it were to ever jump species

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If there was a deadly disease that deer carried that could be passed to humans, would you still hunt? Say the chance of a deer carrying it was 50%. Would you hunt, process, and wait to eat until the deer tested negative? Would you only shoot mature bucks and give up eating them? I know CWD hasn’t jumped to humans yet, but I’m a little worried about prion diseases. More so for my family than myself even. I haven’t decided what I would do, but I have been pondering what happens when it is confirmed here and if it were to ever jump species
If it became unsafe to eat deer meat, no, I would no longer deer hunt.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’d probably still hunt for only a trophy buck and wait for it to be tested I guess before I fed it to my family . I’d for sure hunt more for turkey , hogs and fish a lot more . Also if deer wasn’t on my mind so much I’d probably find more time to pursue my first Ga black bear .

basshappy

BANNED
I would continue to hunt, and I would test every deer by sending samples to two different labs. I would pay twice for peace of mind of the meat before feeding to my fellow humans. And if I hunted now this season near the border of a neighboring state with positive CWD I would test that deer before consumption.

It makes me sad but I think CWD is coming into GA by virtue of neighboring states with positive CWD. And because GA allows for bait stations / feed troughs / feed piles when CWD arrives it will spread more rapidly in those areas than it would otherwise.

cowhornedspike

And because GA allows for bait stations / feed troughs / feed piles when CWD arrives it will spread more rapidly in those areas than it would otherwise.
Not proven but seems logical at first glance. Charlie Killmaster has stated this several times on here and I feel that if it were proven then the state will make the changes needed if CWD shows up here.

cowhornedspike

To answer the original question. I'd keep hunting but would not eat any deer that tested positive.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Id Have it tested for sure, but I’d keep on hunting. I obviously wouldn’t eat anything testing positive and wouldn’t even put a knife on anything sickly looking……I don’t do that now though.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
isn't there a huge chance of injury and death for cape buffalo hunters but they still do it!

I'd still hunt, then I'd go to @Railroader testin facility.

Latest posts