Carrying a fixed blade knife in the woods?

Artfuldodger

I did have a fixed blade knife as a kid. It was a sharpfinger and I really enjoyed it. To bad the new old timer stuff is made in China. What I liked about it was the big handle and small blade. Broke the tip off separating a hip socket and never replaced it. Muskrat is one traditional design I have never had. I see the appeal of a second identical blade if you were doing repetitive tasks away from a stone.

I remember the Sharpfinger. It was a pretty popular knife.

Artfuldodger

When I was researching the Case Sodbuster I found out a lot of companies made one. The yellow handled Case with the CV blade is one of the most popular ones.

Rough Rider makes one comparable in size to the Jr. The RR718 Work Knife.
Kissing Crane and Robert Klaas make the KC2134 a medium sodbuster the size of the Jr. The German made ones are supposedly better.

There is a German Eye brand. Boker makes one. Schrade makes one.

One that I ran across that really gets good reviews but cost about $60.00 is the Great Eastern Cutlery(GEC), Farm & Field, Bullnose Sodbuster, #71 with 1095 carbon steel.

Boy what a name!

This is a longer knife though. It's 3 13/16" long. The Case Jr is 3 5/8" long.

https://www.collectorknives.net/sho...sodbuster-farm-field-od-linen-micarta-715118/

Hillbilly stalker

I have a "kissing crane" sod buster also. It is no where near the quality of a Case. It's sad, they used to be one of the better companies, not now.

Artfuldodger

I have a "kissing crane" sod buster also. It is no where near the quality of a Case. It's sad, they used to be one of the better companies, not now.
This is true with a lot of the knife manufacturers that were great in the 70's-90's.
I just bought a Case Sodbuster Jr CV on ebay tonight. Looking for a smaller pocket knife with only one blade. Less that $24.00 total.

I think had I not bought that one I would have went with the Rough Rider RR718 Work Knife.

GEC>Case>Rough Rider

Last edited:
You made the right call. I would prefer not to buy from China, but the quality of the rough rider stuff is scary good for the price. First time I saw one I understood why all the budget American brands were going under. Rough rider sells a stockman for six bucks that is every bit as good as what Schrade was making domestically at five times the cost.

Last edited:

georgia_home

I guess my experience buying cheap folders when I was young and the associated "bite" while using them really turned me off folders.

The smaller buck skinner and the buck described above, rubber, gut hook, are fine. The larger fixed buck is just a little too big imho, when skinning. Forget the mode number. Beautiful knife though. It stays in the safe.

The gut hook and regular versions, buck vanguard I think is the name, used to be the BPS fall sale loss leaders @19.99. A friend and I bought several.

DrK

The only time I find the need for a larger fixed blade knife is when I hunt on the ground and set up a blind with just natural foliage. An eight to 10 inch knife is perfect for cutting down sapplings and palm fronds.

Artfuldodger

When my friends and myself were all around 14, we all took machetes camping or for a walk in the woods. I'm not sure why we all thought we needed one of those. Then we all got a "hunting" knife as they were called. We'd wear them on our belts.
I bought one of those Swiss Army camp knives. It even had a fork and spoon on it. It was a knock-off and pretty much useless even for a 14 year old.
I do have a Victorinox without all the extras.

Then in the early 80's I bought a "survival" knife. Just a plain one with a stacked leather handle like a KA_BAR. It didn't have a hollow handle for needle & thread or a compass on the end. I always wanted a Randall knife but out of my price range.

I started backpacking and just went with various folders ever since then.

I do like a lot of those smaller fixed blade knives. Maybe one around 7" would be nice.

Artfuldodger

You made the right call. I would prefer not to buy from China, but the quality of the rough rider stuff is scary good for the price. First time I saw one I understood why all the budget American brands were going under. Rough rider sells a stockman for six bucks that is every bit as good as what Schrade was making domestically at five times the cost.

I have a Rough Rider two bladed Trapper, 4 1/8" long. I wou d definitely put up against the American brands made in China. I was reading a review where the guy said, "if you are going to buy a knife made in China, buy a Rough Rider. They are made better and don't cost as much." I think mine was around $10.00.

What sold me on the Case was the non-stainless option. Not that it's plain old carbon steel but not stainless either. Plus being made in America.

Last edited:
CV is great to sharpen. I use old hickory knives in the kitchen with a very similar steel. I have a few higher end whittling knives made by Queen that use D2, one of the super steels. Whatever you gain in edge retention you loose in ease of sharpening. I spend a lot of time sharpening and stroping whittling knives and every other steel feels sticky in comparison. You can roll the truck window down and bring that CV blade back to shaving sharp on the edge of the glass.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The only stainless blade I own that I actually like is on my ancient American-made Gerber Gator. I hate stainless.

Hillbilly stalker

If a man is set on toting a fixed blade and likes good carbon steel, you cannot go wrong with a mora knife. Usually under $20 and sharper out of the pack than any other. They have a big selection of stainless also. I tell you stainless has came a long way in the last 5-10 years, better not smirk at it any more. I like old carbon now, and have several .....but the stainless steel is a lot better now days.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Mora knives are among the finest made of "factory" knives. I like the Scandinavian grind on the blades too.

Artfuldodger

If a man is set on toting a fixed blade and likes good carbon steel, you cannot go wrong with a mora knife. Usually under $20 and sharper out of the pack than any other. They have a big selection of stainless also. I tell you stainless has came a long way in the last 5-10 years, better not smirk at it any more. I like old carbon now, and have several .....but the stainless steel is a lot better now days.

I collect kitchen knives, small collection of Russell, Henckel, Sabatier, Wusthof, etc. I don't have any really expensive Japaneses, Global, or MAC's.

I would like to pick up a Mora Classic. The handle reminds me of a cheap putty knife handle but they are suppose to be a really good knife. I know they make a lot of kitchen and outdoor knives.
Here is the style I want. It's a Utility knife so I guess you could use it inside or out;

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Cla...46&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=mora+classic+knife

This one is a little more modern looking, stainless with a plastic handle;

https://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Cra...535757110&sr=1-11&keywords=mora+utility+knife