Carrying a fixed blade knife in the woods?

I have about come to the conclusion that the sod buster jr. is the perfect knife. It's easy to sharper, open, and hang onto. It serves me well in the garden, shop, camping, game cleaning and fishing. I like the idea of carrying a fixed blade knife, I just don't see any utility in it for me. What do you guys carry to the woods? What are you using the large fixed blade knives like the buck 119 for? Talk me into one. I could be convinced. KIMG1272.JPG

Hillbilly stalker

You can spend a lot more money, but you aint gonna buy more knife. Mine has served me well.
image-jpeg.938799

Artfuldodger

Well Now my interest is sparked for a Sodbuster. Just briefly looked on the net. I'd want an older one made in the US. Preferably not stainless. I did see you can get a new US made Chrome Vanadium one.

I saw some with 10 dots and some with 4 dots. Hillbilly stalkers has 10 dots. Judging by it's use, I'd say the dots represent the period it was made.

I saw the 10 dots between Case XX and USA like on Hillbilly stalker's and I saw the 10 dots under USA on one.

This knife has quite a following.

I looked some more on the net. Maybe none of these were made in China like I thought. You can buy a new US made chrome vanadium one for less than $25.00 and that includes shipping.

Case "CV" steel is an alloy steel, non-stainless. It is not carbon steel, as it has small additions of Chromium and Vanadium, whence the name "CV". These additions to the alloy give improved properties to the steel. Those improved properties include finer grain size and improved uniformity in tempering. As a user, the finer grain size leads to the capability to take a very fine edge.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

I can't say I'd ever carry a something as large as a Buck 119. Maybe a Buck 101 which is a fixed version of the 110. Still though I'd rather have a folder I can carry in my pocket.

For some reason I don't like things on my belt. I rarely clip folders to my belt. In fact I take the clips off if I can get them off.

I bought a Rough Rider two bladed folder upon recomendations for a cheap good Chinese knife. My problem with it is it's just a little big to carry. It's a little over 4" closed with a 3 1/4" blade.

I think I would like something just a little bit smaller, maybe 3 5/8 closed and only one blade.

A sheath knife would also not be wearable while backpacking. I usually just put a folder in a side pocket of my pack and put it in my pants pocket after arriving in camp.

Artfuldodger

More on the dots from knife forums;

"Think I see 7 dots (at least), meaning it's 1973 vintage. If eight dots, it'd be a 1972. Case's 1970s-vintage blades started with 10 dots in 1970, subtracting one dot for each following year, finishing with only one dot visible in 1979. Their 1980s blades used the same 'dot dating' convention, though the 'CASE' and 'U.S.A.' marks would've been in a different, more angular/blocky type-style, with the trademarked 'lightning S' in the 'CASE' name. The steel on your knife is the predecessor to what Case now calls their 'CV' steel (non-stainless). Not certain if it's exactly the same makeup, as Case didn't actually start using the 'CV' designation on their carbon steel until later (think late '80s or early '90s). Still some decent & simple-to-live-with carbon steel though; sharpens up very easily."

Also read a 10 dot 1970 and a 10 dot 1980 are more popular with collectors.

Hillbilly's is from 1980 or later 80's depending on the dots. It has a lightning "S" in Case and USA. Also the dots are between Case XX and USA.
The 1970's decade had the dots under USA.

I can't see Bobby's well enough to tell. Here is a guide to dating Case knives from 1970 foward;

https://www.casexx.com/Library/Secret.asp

I have 3 and they are all CV. It's just a great size. I find I use it for food prep more so than I would a stockman style. It's like a 30-30, it just punches above it's weight.

I still remember as a boy the thrill of going to the hardware store and looking at new pocket knives. I never really got over that. I've carried about all the traditional patterns from stockman's to Jack's. I just love the simple design of the sod buster. It's enough knife without being to large in the pocket. KIMG1280.JPG

JackSprat

My all time favorite knife. I have custom made knives, but the sodbuster jr. is my go to, all the time knife. Steel is little soft, so you can bring the edge right back up with a couple of licks on a rock.

What I really like is that it is easy to open one handed.

Historical note - they used to come with with a lock, that was dropped in the late 80's, for economy I assume. Case probably saved $1.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have carried the same Old Timer OT77 Muskrat Skinner folding knife since I was 16 years old. I would feel absolutely nekkid without it. It's what I skin deer, clean fish, and such with. With that said, a big fixed-blade knife comes in handy for rougher stuff-anything from splitting kindling to stabbing hogs. :)

K80Shooter

I cant carry a pocket knife, no telling how many I've lost. If I do carry a folder it's in a sheath on my belt.

As far as what I carry into the woods, I have a John I. Shore that I really like, I have a Scott Davidson's that I also like, I also have a Buddy Gaines knife that I think would be great (just haven't had a chance to use it yet). They are all fixed blades and all feel great in the hand.

I also have a friend that started making knives a couple of years ago, I have one of his fixed blade knives made with cpm 154 and ironwood handles. I use this as my everyday carry knife. (David Phillips Knives)

None of the above knives are over 7" overall and made with very high quality steel, ATS-34 & CPM-154

I also have a R.A. Matt knife which I have never used and doubt that I ever will. He made some very beautiful knives before he passed away.

I have talked to other makers and for one reason or another I guess I fell through the cracks with them, I never heard back from them after I told them what I wanted.

red neck richie

I like my buck fixed blade with a gut hook and rubber handle. The gut hook opens em up like a zipper and the blade is strong enough to cut through the breast bone which makes it easier to cut the esophagus and lungs out. With the rubber handle give you a better grip and your hand wont slip when it gets wet.

K80Shooter

I like my buck fixed blade with a gut hook and rubber handle. The gut hook opens em up like a zipper and the blade is strong enough to cut through the breast bone which makes it easier to cut the esophagus and lungs out. With the rubber handle give you a better grip and your hand wont slip when it gets wet.

I have one of those without the gut hook, they are pretty good knives. You need to take the grip cap off and clean out the inside of the rubber handle ocasionally, there can be some pretty funky stuff in there sometimes.

Artfuldodger

I have one of those without the gut hook, they are pretty good knives. You need to take the grip cap off and clean out the inside of the rubber handle ocasionally, there can be some pretty funky stuff in there sometimes.
I was just thinking one advantage of a fixed blade over a folder is the handle wouldn't get full of gunk and stuff.
Well at least not like a folder which can get full of dirt and mud. I usually just wash it out with water and blow it out with air if I got some.

I could see how that particular Buck might need cleaning out after gutting a few animals.

I did have a fixed blade knife as a kid. It was a sharpfinger and I really enjoyed it. To bad the new old timer stuff is made in China. What I liked about it was the big handle and small blade. Broke the tip off separating a hip socket and never replaced it. Muskrat is one traditional design I have never had. I see the appeal of a second identical blade if you were doing repetitive tasks away from a stone.

onedude

I have one of the big sod busters I bought in 1976 for $5 used. I like it, don't carry it much, a little too big, wish it was a jr.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Me too. Fixed w/ gut hook to zip a deer and snatch it through the sternum. I know it can be done other ways But thats my way. Plus there's no crevices and hinges for meat and grime to collect in.

delacroix

BANNED
I have worn a Spyderco Bill Moran horizontally on my belt, most days, for about the past ten years. A fixed blade carried that way will be out and cutting while you're getting the folder out of your pocket. And you get a lot more blade to work with that way.