Atheists and ghosts?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
No. I'll look into it.
Basically, there's a theory that humans haven't always thought like we do now, and that up until about 3,000 years ago, folks' brains were more split into two separately operating parts; and they heard voices in their heads telling them what to do, which they attributed to deities.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Basically, there's a theory that humans haven't always thought like we do now, and that up until about 3,000 years ago, folks' brains were more split into two separately operating parts; and they heard voices in their heads telling them what to do, which they attributed to deities.
Does it give any indication of what percentage of *people that have never evolved from that?

* this is a joke meant for entertainment purposes only. No people in here were thought of as examples and no one was harmed during the typing of this.

Capt Quirk

They medicate you heavily for that now.

Capt Quirk

You've never talked to yourself? Subconsciously or otherwise? I think there could be something to it, admittedly I've only read the wiki article on it.

I know you were being facetious, but it makes a good segue.

I like Graham Hancock's idea of consciousness arising from psychedelics. Hancock posits that primordial "man" developed consciousness through the accidental (at least at first) use of psychedelic substances. At some point we were able to disssociate our selves from the world around us. If we can do this for our selves, doesn't it stand to reason we could do this for the rest of the natural world? Could we not create an image of a god? Perhaps in our own image?
Of course I talk to myself... But I have never answered myself. Shut up! He wasn't talking to you!

:rolleyes:

WaltL1

You've never talked to yourself? Subconsciously or otherwise? I think there could be something to it, admittedly I've only read the wiki article on it.

I know you were being facetious, but it makes a good segue.

I like Graham Hancock's idea of consciousness arising from psychedelics. Hancock posits that primordial "man" developed consciousness through the accidental (at least at first) use of psychedelic substances. At some point we were able to disssociate our selves from the world around us. If we can do this for our selves, doesn't it stand to reason we could do this for the rest of the natural world? Could we not create an image of a god? Perhaps in our own image?
Not sure this is going to make sense but.....
I think, in a way, we talk to ourselves constantly. I see it as basically when we think (about anything) we are, in effect, "talking to ourselves".
When you talk to someone else we use our voice so they can hear us. But we already had a conversation/compared options, worked out in our head what it is thats going to come out of our mouth.
We "hear" our own thoughts but just in a different way than speaking them out loud.

And if that doesnt make a lick of sense Im blaming it on the psychedelic substances that I took as primordial man. Otherwise known as the '70s :rofl:

Last edited:

WaltL1

That theory strikes me as making a lot of sense.
I also think we still do it but often attribute it to other things and for some its deities.

Capt Quirk

That theory strikes me as making a lot of sense.
I also think we still do it but often attribute it to other things and for some its deities.
Unless it can be recorded, or heard by others, yeah... it's likely just in your head. If it is recorded, that makes it harder to deny.

660griz

Talking to ones self and hearing 'voices', in my opinion, are not the same thing.

WaltL1

Talking to ones self and hearing 'voices', in my opinion, are not the same thing.
I get the point you are making but I think they can be the same thing at times.
I often think about my grandfather. I "hear" his voice perfectly. I can even smell him. Garlic and sweat from him working in his garden.. Sounds gross but for me its the most comforting smell in the world.
He's not there. Its my brain producing the conversation, his voice, his smell, the whole shebang. Its me talking to me about how much I miss him etc.
I would imagine the vast majority of the "God talked to me" folks are doing the exact same thing. The difference is whether we recognize its us talking to us or not.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I often think about my grandfather. I "hear" his voice perfectly. I can even smell him. Garlic and sweat from him working in his garden.. Sounds gross but for me its the most comforting smell in the world.
He's not there. Its my brain producing the conversation, his voice, his smell, the whole shebang. Its me talking to me about how much I miss him etc.
I would imagine the vast majority of the "God talked to me" folks are doing the exact same thing. The difference is whether we recognize its us talking to us or not.

I can smell my grandfather too, viceroys and Aqua Velva, but it takes a conscious effort on my part.
But I can not prove that either.

WaltL1

I can smell my grandfather too, viceroys and Aqua Velva, but it takes a conscious effort on my part.
But I can not prove that either.
I'm not sure which is worse - garlic and body odor or Viceroys and Aqua Velva :rofl:

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm not sure which is worse - garlic and body odor or Viceroys and Aqua Velva :rofl:

They are fond memories yet not so clear anymore. It is was Old Spice and Viceroys. Not sure how I got that confused.

Dialer

I’m NOT an Atheist, but have to say that I don’t understand. Spirits, scents, and sounds experienced along with a near death experience from an entity that matched the description of a lady that committed suicide in our home in early 70’s. My mother was nearly suffocated by the entity the night before we left the house. A personal investigation proved a lady had killed herself in the north bathroom in July of 1961. When we moved in, that bathroom was neatly boarded up, and we were warned not to open it up. We did open it, and thats when entities began appearing from all eras.
I was told by Georgia Haunt Hunt team that this was a simple case of opening a “portal” to the dead. Wandering spirits could come and go thru this portal since it had been disturbed and opened during renovations. Seemed to be exactly what was happening. We left....

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I’m NOT an Atheist, but have to say that I don’t understand. Spirits, scents, and sounds experienced along with a near death experience from an entity that matched the description of a lady that committed suicide in our home in early 70’s. My mother was nearly suffocated by the entity the night before we left the house. A personal investigation proved a lady had killed herself in the north bathroom in July of 1961. When we moved in, that bathroom was neatly boarded up, and we were warned not to open it up. We did open it, and thats when entities began appearing from all eras.
I was told by Georgia Haunt Hunt team that this was a simple case of opening a “portal” to the dead. Wandering spirits could come and go thru this portal since it had been disturbed and opened during renovations. Seemed to be exactly what was happening. We left....
Sooo many questions but no way to give or get the right answers.
Very Intriguing, I would love to be on a case like that.

Capt Quirk

Sooo many questions but no way to give or get the right answers.
Very Intriguing, I would love to be on a case like that.
Hauntings are often like mystery car issues, they never happen when the mechanic is there. But, just wait till you buy "one of those" houses. Interesting stuff for sure.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Hauntings are often like mystery car issues, they never happen when the mechanic is there. But, just wait till you buy "one of those" houses. Interesting stuff for sure.
In the story above regarding evil ghosts that can do physical things in the physical world, Why would a wall or door, or boards be able to contain something or things that do not operate within our laws of physics and time/place constraints?
A woman committed suicide in a bathroom. The bathroom is sealed off by less than magical means. All is good until the physical barrier is opened and then the dead lady and a host of other ghouls are now suddenly freed to run amok in the physical world and they actually have powers to interact and cause physical harm to the living? But those powers didnt work for many many many years because of some sheetrock?

Like I said, I cannot think of a legitimate answer for any of it. Nobody will be able to explain it using any sort of evidence.
So I wish I was there to witness it to compare my experience with someone else who was also there.

As of right now we have,: a dead lady's spirit locked away in a closed room and unable to escape because ?____? Is suddenly released because ?____? and also before her release somehow more bad spirits got in there because ?___? and they were also trapped in there because ?____? And they could get in there but couldn't get out because ?____? But once they got out they are all of a sudden able to use powers, which they could not use previously, to cause harm to people who are not dead...
Simply saying that a portal was opened is a claim or an assertion that has no proof. It is an excuse. I have a hard time being convinced that the sectioned off room became a gathering spot for numerous spirits who did not have the powers to defy physics and logic to get beyond a wall, then all of a sudden can defy physics and logic once the room was opened.

Dialer

In the story above regarding evil ghosts that can do physical things in the physical world, Why would a wall or door, or boards be able to contain something or things that do not operate within our laws of physics and time/place constraints?
A woman committed suicide in a bathroom. The bathroom is sealed off by less than magical means. All is good until the physical barrier is opened and then the dead lady and a host of other ghouls are now suddenly freed to run amok in the physical world and they actually have powers to interact and cause physical harm to the living? But those powers didnt work for many many many years because of some sheetrock?

Like I said, I cannot think of a legitimate answer for any of it. Nobody will be able to explain it using any sort of evidence.
So I wish I was there to witness it to compare my experience with someone else who was also there.

As of right now we have,: a dead lady's spirit locked away in a closed room and unable to escape because ?____? Is suddenly released because ?____? and also before her release somehow more bad spirits got in there because ?___? and they were also trapped in there because ?____? And they could get in there but couldn't get out because ?____? But once they got out they are all of a sudden able to use powers, which they could not use previously, to cause harm to people who are not dead...
Simply saying that a portal was opened is a claim or an assertion that has no proof. It is an excuse. I have a hard time being convinced that the sectioned off room became a gathering spot for numerous spirits who did not have the powers to defy physics and logic to get beyond a wall, then all of a sudden can defy physics and logic once the room was opened.
All I remember is that the bathroom in question was always ice cold and implemented a distinct sense of dread. It is well known that the renovation process somehow “disturbs”, or “awakens” the portal, almost shining a light that has just been switched on, to the other dimension where lost souls wander, perhaps not aware of their death... The lady that killed herself was a retired RN that was 77 years old at death. Not necessarily the soul or spirit that appeared face to face that had no eyes and dressed in a long flowing gown. I could write a book, but who has time?

Capt Quirk

You are asking the wrong person, I don't have the answers, just more questions.

660griz

I don't think of hearing voices you are familiar with and hearing 'voices' are even close to the same. No one could be familiar with the voice of God or their dog, etc.
:)

ambush80

All I remember is that the bathroom in question was always ice cold and implemented a distinct sense of dread. It is well known that the renovation process somehow “disturbs”, or “awakens” the portal, almost shining a light that has just been switched on, to the other dimension where lost souls wander, perhaps not aware of their death... The lady that killed herself was a retired RN that was 77 years old at death. Not necessarily the soul or spirit that appeared face to face that had no eyes and dressed in a long flowing gown. I could write a book, but who has time?

No eyes as in empty eye holes or no eye holes?