Rookie made a mistake.

Welp I guess this is my intro post. I’m new to hunting, so new I’ve actually never been. I live in Atlanta and plan to hunt public land for now till I can gain access to private property. None of my family hunts but I’ve always had a slight Intrest but never made the move. It’s harder than I thought to find veteran hunters to take you out and teach you so I’m diving in solo.

With that said I planned all week to head over to allatoona wma in Sunday for my solo intro hunt. The wife (8 months pregnant) agreed I could use the alone time and I accepted. I received my scope in the mail from vortex today and decided I’d go ahead and get everything mounted for the range on Friday. Well that’s the kicker; my scope rings for my ruger don’t fit my tikka t3x light. With only a few days left before I head out there’s no time to order online so I have 2 options. Cancel my first ever hunt or spend significantly more money than I want to in mounts local. Unfortunately I dont have much extra cash after picking up the other standard gear that I may have to cancel. I’m super upset but I guess that’s the way it goes. So i guess if anyway has some ring mounts that will fit a tikka and your kind of close to Atlanta please let me know. Even if I can just barrow them for the weekend that would be awesome.

anyway here I am still excited for what ever is to come for me. I look forward to meeting experienced hunters and learning from this forum.

ugajay

Welcome to the forum!! Not being smart and not sure you know, but when reading that I was wondering if you knew you had to sight in the rifle after mounting the scope before taking it out hunting

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
Welcome to the board!

Do you still have the ruger? Just use it if you do.

First off.
Its going to be tough. The deer have been pressured for weeks already. Just dont get discouraged. You may want to consider this a warm up for next year.

You didnt say if you have already done some scouting. If you havent, you should. If you dont get the rifle ready. Use mid day to do some scouting.

"For me"
Hunting public land is about scouting. Lots of public land will have little to no sign. If i dont find some fresh sign i keep moving.

For deer:
Fresh droppings, rubs, scrapes and tracks.

For hogs:
Fresh rooting and droppings.

The search button is your friend. ( make sure you study up on public land etiquette)

Theres info on here for any topic you wish to study. Feel free to ask questions. This is a discussion board after all.

Gator89

Welcome to the forum!! Not being smart and not sure you know, but when reading that I was wondering if you knew you had to sight in the rifle after mounting the scope before taking it out hunting

OP does mention going "to the range on Friday" in the post.

Yes I’m aware of that. Planned on going back to clybel Friday before work to zero in

Welcome to the board!

Do you still have the ruger? Just use it if you do.

First off.
Its going to be tough. The deer have been pressured for weeks already. Just dont get discouraged. You may want to consider this a warm up for next year.

You didnt say if you have already done some scouting. If you havent, you should. If you dont get the rifle ready. Use mid day to do some scouting.

"For me"
Hunting public land is about scouting. Lots of public land will have little to no sign. If i dont find some fresh sign i keep moving.

For deer:
Fresh droppings, rubs, scrapes and tracks.

For hogs:
Fresh rooting and droppings.

The search button is your friend. ( make sure you study up on public land etiquette)

Theres info on here for any topic you wish to study. Feel free to ask questions. This is a discussion board after all.

Thanks. yes I still have the ruger but it’s a ruger precision rifle which is a bit heavy to be lugging around all day and almost overkill for ga public land as far as distance. Plus I’d need expandable too ammo for that which for what the 308 ammo cost I should just buy the mounts. lol.
Also thanks for all the additional info. I’m not really expecting anything this weekend but i just want to get in the woods

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Spending $1500 In the past few weeks on gear and expecting in a few weeks yeah the extra is a little tight. The goal was to use as much preowned stuff I had as possible so this wasn’t budgeted in. If that makes me not suitable for this hobby then so be it. But I’d lean more to you being negative than anything sir fat stacks

Hunting can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be brother. And remember, the written word is very often mis-interpreted. I don't know tad1 but honestly don't think he was trying to be smart or negative. Toona is tough with all the ** that goes on up there so like Thunder Head said, don't get discouraged. Enjoy the time outdoors and consider it an extra treat if you happen upon whatever game it is you're looking for. When your little bundle gets here, your outdoors time will be limited. It is what it is. I have some rings that may fit your base. Not 100% sure but you are welcome to them. PM me if interested.

Hunting can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be brother. And remember, the written word is very often mis-interpreted. I don't know tad1 but honestly don't think he was trying to be smart or negative. Toona is tough with all the ** that goes on up there so like Thunder Head said, don't get discouraged. Enjoy the time outdoors and consider it an extra treat if you happen upon whatever game it is you're looking for. When your little bundle gets here, your outdoors time will be limited. It is what it is. I have some rings that may fit your base. Not 100% sure but you are welcome to them. PM me if interested.
Thanks. Most hobby’s tend to be that way. I have saltwater tanks and it’s the same. The good stuff is pricey the average stuff is more affordable. I’m not expecting much if I go but I did decide to atleast try since it’s “fair game” on bear, deer, foxes, coyotes, bobcats, and hogs. Seems like plenty of options to go after. Obviously I’m not gonna pull the trigger for the sake of pulling it but there are options if i do see something

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Welcome! Congratulations on entering deer hunting & congratulations on becoming a new father!
I've hunted all my life & still learning. That's part of the fun. Learn all you can because in a few years you'll become the teacher to your child.
Good luck! You've joined the right place. A lot of knowledge on here.

Rook, I think you took tad1 the wrong way, and starting out new on a forum calling people names will get you nowhere quick. That being said, welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks on here with a yuge wealth of knowledge if you just ask the right questions and know when to just listen.

Hunting, like most things in life, (babies anyone?), takes patience. If your weapon is not ready due to unexpected expenses, and you are not familiar with the landscape, take the time to scout as already mentioned. You will be much better prepared for when your weapon is ready. There are still a few weeks of deer season left and if you have a rimfire rifle you can small game hunt for a couple more months after that. Also, there is no season or limit on hogs and they are a lot of fun to shoot...and eat.

Good luck, be safe, exercise patience. You will need it.

Thanks. I don’t have a rimfire at this time. I have my rpr, ar15, tikka 6.5, and a couple hand guns. Though it will all be figured out. Just trying to take advantage of what free time I have before baby 2 gets here. I guess if it’s meant to be it will happen

Whitefeather

Management Material
Welcome to the board and congrats on the upcoming birth. Having said that....
If you’ve never deer hunted before and are planning to go to a public place to do it for your 1st time then, I’d recommend you wait until next year. Take the time to get your gear together, and familiarize yourself with it, and maybe find a piece of private property to learn it.
If you’re tromping around on public ground without a clue of what you’re doing and where you’re going then you’re probably not going to have a good time. There are gonna be other people out there that won’t be too kind if you come tromping by them. The first thing to learn is to be respectful of your fellow hunters.
Now others on here will bash me, and that’s there right, but I’m offering you some sound advice. If it upsets you then get used to the forum because everyone on here has an opinion on something.
You might even get an invite from someone on here to take you out for the first time and show you the basics. If I still had my place I’d do it myself, but hunting public land for your very first time is a bad idea. Good luck to you and your wife on the upcoming birth.

If you’ve never deer hunted before and are planning to go to a public place to do it for your 1st time then, I’d recommend you wait until next year. Take the time to get your gear together, and familiarize yourself with it, and maybe find a piece of private property to learn it.
If you’re tromping around on public ground without a clue of what you’re doing and where you’re going then you’re probably not going to have a good time. There are gonna be other people out there that won’t be too kind if you come tromping by them. The first thing to learn is to be respectful of your fellow hunters.
Now others on here will bash me, and that’s there right, but I’m offering you some sound advice. If it upsets you then get used to the forum because everyone on here has an opinion on something.
You might even get an invite from someone on here to take you out for the first time and show you the basics. If I still had my place I’d do it myself, but hunting public land for your very first time is a bad idea. Good luck to you and your wife on the upcoming birth.

Thanks. Yeah I’m hoping to get a chance to hunt with someone more experienced. Though I’m not gonna never go if I never get invited. Just have to Weight what the real value is to hope and wish for an invite. I appreciate the advice and time will tell.

Last edited:

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Come on guys. ANY time you can squeeze in a hunt is a good time to hunt. The man already said he has a baby on the way. And to be fair, tad1's comment could have very easily been taken as arrogant and condescending although I'm sure it wasn't intended to.

If your that quick to call people names I wouldn't look for a invite anytime soon. Welcome to the forum ?
If your that easily offended I wouldn’t want an invite.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

On a side note I picked up some new mounts this morning and the rifle is all ready to go. Even made a quick ripcord sling with my down time. I look forward to getting in the woods Sunday. I’d like to think I understand The basics of hunter to hunter respect and I shouldby upset to many people. If so I’ll have to accept it as a learning experience.
I read something that this hobby/lifestyle has lost over half it’s hunting population in the past 50 some years. And over 2 million hunters in the past like 5 years. Sure the selfish side would say great more animals for yourself but the reality is those funds are needed for Maintnance of these properties and the wildlife conservation as a whole. So correct me if I’m wrong welcoming new hunters weather it’s today or next season are of value to you and everyone else.

I don’t mind being wrong and me thinking Sunday is a good day might be just that .... wrong.. what I’ll do is take mental notes and use that to better myself On the next few hunts. As long as I don’t get shot It will be a successful day for me.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Thanks. yes I still have the ruger but it’s a ruger precision rifle which is a bit heavy to be lugging around all day and almost overkill for ga public land as far as distance. Plus I’d need expandable too ammo for that which for what the 308 ammo cost I should just buy the mounts. lol.
Also thanks for all the additional info. I’m not really expecting anything this weekend but i just want to get in the woods
Thanks. Yeah I’m hoping to get a chance to hunt with someone more experienced. Though I’m not gonna never go if I never get invited. Just have to Weight what the real value is to hope and wish for an invite. I appreciate the advice and time will tell.
Im in ONF right now for about a week.
Bring your rifle and meet me in camp.
All you need is a gun and bullets.
Might have a few 308’s with me.
I’ll show you some spots and we’ll have a good time learning together.

Whitefeather

Management Material
Im in ONF right now for about a week.
Bring your rifle and meet me in camp.
All you need is a gun and bullets.
Might have a few 308’s with me.
I’ll show you some spots and we’ll have a good time learning together.
Good things come to good people. Classy move Mr Lungshot.