Winchester 71 Takedown

pacecars

My dr said no shooting for the next month after my recent back surgery so I have had ample time to peruse the internet which may be a bad thing or at the least an expensive thing. I have been talking to Lee at The Arms Room about converting my Model 71 to a takedown and adding a Ruger No 1 quarter rib to it to mount a scout scope. Do I need a takedown? No, not really but I have always wanted one and they just look cool. I think the Ruger rib will look a little better than just a picatinney rail on it. I will use the Alaska Arms QD rings on it and maybe a Vortex or Leupold scout scope. The rifle is not a collector grade and has extra holes so I am not mutilating a pristine example. It ain’t cheap but it is a lot less money than I thought it would be.

Dub

My dr said no shooting for the next month after my recent back surgery so I have had ample time to peruse the internet which may be a bad thing or at the least an expensive thing. I have been talking to Lee at The Arms Room about converting my Model 71 to a takedown and adding a Ruger No 1 quarter rib to it to mount a scout scope. Do I need a takedown? No, not really but I have always wanted one and they just look cool. I think the Ruger rib will look a little better than just a picatinney rail on it. I will use the Alaska Arms QD rings on it and maybe a Vortex or Leupold scout scope. The rifle is not a collector grade and has extra holes so I am not mutilating a pristine example. It ain’t cheap but it is a lot less money than I thought it would be.

Heal up well and get past the back repairs. :cheers:

Now does sound like a great time to take on a project to look forward to. Fun from the sidelines will be good until you can get back in the game.

GAHUNTER60

Aside from the difficulty in obtaining ammo and reloading components in .348 Winchester, a Model 71 in good condition is one of my bucket list firearms! And the very thought of a takedown version is the stuff of dreams!!!

It's just as well that I don't buy one though, as even if I could afford the rifle and ammo, I could never afford the Yukon moose hunt I would have to book, while wearing my Pendleton wool huting duds, circa 1937!

pacecars

I may never traipse through the Alders in search of Moose or bear but this rifle has been on my mind for a long time so I figured now is the time.

Dub

I may never traipse through the Alders in search of Moose or bear but this rifle has been on my mind for a long time so I figured now is the time.

I understand that well.

I just acted on a rifle using the same thought process.

pacecars

Reactions: Dub

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
The J Frame brothers I just bought were for the same reason...Go do it!

Reactions: Dub