What's in your poop?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hard to say for sure from the pic. Maybe hawthorn berries?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Killer Kyle

The seeds are from highbush blueberries
Professor...when was the photo taken? That matters a great deal. Also, is this bear scat from the mountains, middle, or south Georgia. I have spent a significant amount of time prying through bear droppings to learn more about their dietary habits throughout the year. Even found the remains of a snake in a pile before! Tell me the time of year the photo was taken, because I'd like to offer my insight, but would like to know the time frame first. I'd also like to know if the scat was anywhere near a food plot. Those key pieces of information can give us clues. When you find a pile like that and are curious, the best thing you can do is scoop it up, put it in a zip lock bag, and take it home to dissect or plant. The seeds have been scarified by stomach acid and should sprout very readily in the spring after you stratify them in a refrigerator or in a pot with dirt outside. This method will unquestionably remove all doubt.

Killer Kyle

Also, what brought you to the conclusion that these are high bush blueberry seeds? Just curious.

Professor

I took the picture on Thursday in the north georgia mountains. I believe it is high bush blueberries because I found a good supply very near the scat. I think these are high bush blueberries. I certainly could be wrong, but the seeds are a match

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191208-190326_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20191208-190326_Photos.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 45