401(K) recovery!!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
After everything gets back to a more normal Country after the Corona is under control! That is if it can be controlled!
How long do you thing your wealth will return.
Hypothetical number Say you had 100,000 and lost 1/2.
How long do you think it will take to get back the 1/2 you lost. ?

sghoghunter

Last Monday I downloaded the app for our retirement and 11 days before we had our benefit dinner and I met with our financial guy. In them 11 days I lost $56894.38. I’ve tried not to look at it much but it hard not to when there’s that kind of money involved. I’ve actually thought about buying some on the side away from my regular 401 but don’t have a clue how to go about doing it

NUTT

Open a Schwab SB1 account and link your checking account to it. Easy to do on their website. Bargains out there now.

ucfireman

TD Ameritrade, same as above. All offer free trades now, just get in .

Some Hx, I started the FD in 2006, had about 20K in 2008 when things crashed, lost about 50%, Things were slow to get rolling again.
From 2010 till Feb 2020. Went from around 12K in savings to 415K. Now that was maxing out my Roth and putting from 15-25% into my 457 (7-10K/yr) and the city matches with 6.5% of salary. Plus aggressive investing.
So in 10 years I was able to save 400K, incredible when you think about it.
I am single, no kids and have a modest house and paid for truck.
Just got to start and do it. And time is on your side.
Lord willing I plan on retiring at 55 in 2027.

work2play2

Banned again & will band again soon
Things will be just fine. Now is the time to invest more because it’s like you are buying stocks on sale. When it goes back up you will make even more. Everyone thinks trump is the reason it has done well. Everyone forgets that the dow never had not 1 negative year under Obama administration. And yes I’ll be voting for trump, again.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Things will be just fine. Now is the time to invest more because it’s like you are buying stocks on sale. When it goes back up you will make even more. Everyone thinks trump is the reason it has done well. Everyone forgets that the dow never had not 1 negative year under Obama administration. And yes I’ll be voting for trump, again.
I know it will be just fine.
My question was.
What you have lost. How long do you think it will be before it returns. After everything returns to about normal.
1year ?
2years ?

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I moved mine into a cash account around the first of Feb, so only lost about 5%. Pure luck...just had a feeling. Plan to jump back in sometime in the next couple weeks, if things don't get any worse.

livetohunt

I'm guessing around 2 years to get back to where we were before. Assuming corona doesn't come back again next fall.

Baroque Brass

My wife and I are down about 35%, I’ve not looked at actual numbers because I prefer not to know at this point. We lost 48% in the 08 crash, it took years to recover. We moved a good bit to bonds before we took a big hit with this downturn. Our financial guy says unlike 08, this recovery should be much quicker. I hope so, we are both in our early 60’s and don’t have time for a long recovery period.

Buford_Dawg

Alot of ifs, ands and buts with the answer your looking for. Could be a 18 months, could be years from now. Depends on how quickly we can get over this virus and how quickly people start getting back to normal life. Then we have the election to take into account and how that plays out. If Trump wins, I do think it will be much quicker to rebound. If he does not, then it may take 5 years or more. If you listen to financial advisors, most are predicting a short term recovery, say less than 3 years, I hope so, that would about match up with me retiring. Definitely a frustrating time we are living right now.

B. White

I know it will be just fine.
My question was.
What you have lost. How long do you think it will be before it returns. After everything returns to about normal.
1year ?
2years ?

I would have "lost" a bunch of thousands, if I had sold or traded anything. I don't consider it lost, since it will go back up and I am not doing anything to move it and take the loss. My rate of return is down 22% from a year ago, but I am down about 2.2% from Jan. 2019 to date and about 8% in the positive since Obama left office.

I expect it to come back quickly and steadily compared to other events once folks are turned loose, but we are all just guessing. I was on the work until I die plan during the obama era. As of a couple of months ago I was close to my goal to retire early. I would guess this put me 1-2 years further back than what I was rocketing toward, but still much better than the work til your dead plan.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I would have "lost" a bunch of thousands, if I had sold or traded anything. I don't consider it lost, since it will go back up and I am not doing anything to move it and take the loss. My rate of return is down 22% from a year ago, but I am down about 2.2% from Jan. 2019 to date and about 8% in the positive since Obama left office.

I expect it to come back quickly and steadily compared to other events once folks are turned loose, but we are all just guessing. I was on the work until I die plan during the obama era. As of a couple of months ago I was close to my goal to retire early. I would guess this put me 1-2 years further back than what I was rocketing toward, but still much better than the work til your dead plan.
Mine was here with what I was wanting to do. Over 30ty years.
Not fun thinking u may have a few more years now.
Also if company’s go under with stocks u have. Well all that’s GON.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
I am hoping that it will recover in the next year. My managers are buying
now as a good time for bargains, and above all I refuse to look, I know its
a lot but we are retired.

Geffellz18

No ones really lost anything if you haven’t pulled any funds out. I purposefully hadn’t looked at my account until this evening to transfer a significant amount of funds to invest.
My “loss” if you will is currently in the 6 figure range, but based on my age and long term track record of the investments I’m in, it’s a buying opportunity right now IMO and a very good one if you have the ability to do so.

It’s hard to say how long it may take for your “loss” to return, but I feel confident that the markets will rebound nicely once this “epidemic” stabilizes(I’m not implying this isn’t an important issue, but it IS being politicized a bit excessively!)
Much different scenario, but for perspective in 2008, my investments declined by over $50k. Since then, prior to this recent decline, they had grown nearly $200k from that low point.
That’s just my 401k through work and not including my Roth and other personal investments.
These investments surprisingly are weathering the storm much better than I had expected. One fund I have money invested in is actually up over 20% right now!(healthcare related fund).
I don’t do single stocks btw.

Last edited:

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
One of ours is Proctor & Gamble stock. It's fluctuating some, but still strong.

Mako22

BANNED
I just got in back in January and my advisor says this is a great time to get into it. I just started getting a disability from the VA and every penny of it is going into a Roth IRA.

BeerThirty

I only initially lost about 12-15% because I re-diversified my portfolio late last summer to an extremely more conservative approach based purely on a gut feeling :huh:. The economy was rolling too good for too long, and with all the trade turmoil that Trump was stirring up, I just felt like we were long overdue for a crash. When the DOW hit 18k I put about 25% of my investment back into a stock index fund and I am only down about 7-8% total now. I need some more good news and I'll probably put another 25% into the same stock fund.