Getting blown at

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
U could sit there a couple hours and kill a nice buck if it picked up on their trail and say he was a 1/2 hour to hour behind on finding their scent and goes to following it. Deer blow at many things.
It’s what deer do. Blow at things. Stomp and run off. They say the train of thought on say blow at u. Then run off is about 15 minutes. By then it finds something else to investigate what it is. They sharp at finding danger.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've had deer standing under my stand blowing at something off in the woods more than once, and the other deer around them pretty much ignoring them.

B. White

Don’t worry about it. Keep hunting as if it didn’t happen. Deer blow at all sorts of things.

I hunted one place that didn't hold many deer, but had a couple of old does. Bucks would come from all around after about the 2nd week of the season. I could listen for blowing and move my portable to that to hunt later in the week and would always see lots of chasing.

Lindseys Grandpa

I used to believe because I was told by other hunters getting blowed at ends your day . That's one of the biggest false beliefs on deer hunting . I was hunting an apple orchard one time and had several deer feeding up wind of me when I got busted by a doe who came in downwind . She blew at me for several minutes . The other deer looked up when she first blew , some were close enough I could see them testing wind with the noses . When they didn't see or smell nothing they went right back to feeding .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Several years ago I was hunting and watching several doe’s feeding. A skunk decided to invade their feeding spot.
There was a considerable snort fest and the skunk ambled on off.
10 minutes later a big 9 pointer showed up. That was the last snort fest he attended.

4jag

I have personally seen several deer after walking in and having deer blow at me as I get to the stand. Doesn’t seem to affect them in my opinion. Also heard a deer blowing one morning and was getting closer to me and come to find out there was a stud 8 point chasing her. So I don’t feel like it ruins the hunt.

HermanMerman

Just last weekend I got busted by a buck that blew a good 10-15 times before running off. Less than a minute later, another buck strolled right by like nothing happened.

Blackston

My first shoulder mount as an adult 120” ( I thought I had killed a booner lol ) when I was goin in I crossed the creek in dark placed my hand on stand and Deer started blowing everywhere!!! I climbed up discouraged, I was dragging my GIANT ( hahaha ) out an hour later

GSUQUAD

Ive had deer in front of me and had deer blow out of sight and the ones i can see never paid it much attention, look up then go back to feeding
This happened to me a few days ago, it alerts them but it’s not a clear out for days signal. I have no idea what the deer in the drain 150 yards away was blowing at but it didn’t bother the deer I was watching much at all.

The biggest concern you have is if that doe pegged you, she will look for you next time again, and again, and again in that same spot. Her fawn will look for you too. Then the other deer around her will start looking for what she’s looking at. It’s education. I hate shooting does but if I have a problem one like that I might make meat out of it to rid myself of the aggravation. If it’s peak rut and cold I’d let her sit there all morning after the shot and still hunt.

buckpasser

This happened to me a few days ago, it alerts them but it’s not a clear out for days signal. I have no idea what the deer in the drain 150 yards away was blowing at but it didn’t bother the deer I was watching much at all.

The biggest concern you have is if that doe pegged you, she will look for you next time again, and again, and again in that same spot. Her fawn will look for you too. Then the other deer around her will start looking for what she’s looking at. It’s education. I hate shooting does but if I have a problem one like that I might make meat out of it to rid myself of the aggravation. If it’s peak rut and cold I’d let her sit there all morning after the shot and still hunt.

Don’t you love having that old girl walking around staring at the sky?

bhouston

I would first try to figure out why she busted you (movement, scent, daylighted, etc.) and fix that. Then stay where you are, in 10 minutes other deer that never heard her blow will wander into the area.