What's the purpose behind the different colored lures?

ringorock

Seems like the only ones that I can get to work are similar in color to the shads I pull out with my cast net. When is it appropriate to use colors like firetiger, purple, rainbow trout, etc?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here's a secret. Don't tell anyone else....

All that crap is about 99.6% about catching FISHERMEN.

Again, don't tell anyone.

If you stick to natural looking lures, you'll have success.

Having said that, we all like to be able to say that some off the wall color is better than another, and it's fun throwing them.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
My normal bass fishing is done with about 4-5 lures, and if I can't figure em out, they just ain't biting...

Same applies to inshore. A few proven faves, and that's all...

Most are very basic, and natural looking.

Let's say bass are on a 1-6 foot crankbait, and you are throwing a Rainbow Brite Super Flasher 3000, catching fish...

Betcha lunch that I'll fish behind you with a shad-looking one, and catch fish too.

Last edited:

FootLongDawg

Agree with Railroader as it pertains to lures, but I have never seen a real metholade colored worm. I have the utmost confidence in that colored trick worm on farm pond largemouths and large lake spots. I sure most folks that fish have at least one freaky colored lure, not normally seen in nature, they have luck using.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I like a merthiolate trick worm, too...lol!

Always an exception!!

Mix a bag of whites, and merthiolates, and let em cook a while .... THAT'S WHAT'S UP!! lol!

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Fishing is full of mysteries. Some days they're eating everything and color doesn't seem to matter. Other days, they will be keyed in on something so specific it will leave you scratching your head. I've seen 2 fishermen in the same boat throwing identical rigs with identical setups except one was throwing green pumpkin and one was throwing watermelon, 2 colors that are almost identical. They were Ned rigs in deep water and one fishermen absolutely wore the other one out. How much different do you think those baits looked in 40ft of water on an overcast day? Whatever difference, it mattered to the fish.

GreenPig

Sometimes the bass are feeding on Threadfin shad, Gizzard shad, Hickory shad, Blueback herring, Yellow Perch, some kinda Bream, Crawfish (color varies by location and season), Larva, Frogs, etc. All those creatures are actually different colors in real life not just on the shelves.

Coenen

Agree with Railroader as it pertains to lures, but I have never seen a real metholade colored worm.
A bass might live his entire life and never actually see a real nightcrawler, period. They are opportunistic feeders; if it looks like it might be food, and acts like it might be food, they'll try to eat it. Nature is a tough racket, a critter can't pass up too many easy meals.

Fish Hawk covered the real meat and potatoes of colors. Most of it is based on water clarity, light penetration at depth, and color of forage. Sometimes, with the really wild stuff, I think they just get curious. The color will draw active fish in to check out the lure, and the impulse to catch and kill something that runs away from them takes over from there.

ringorock

A bass might live his entire life and never actually see a real nightcrawler, period. They are opportunistic feeders; if it looks like it might be food, and acts like it might be food, they'll try to eat it. Nature is a tough racket, a critter can't pass up too many easy meals.

Fish Hawk covered the real meat and potatoes of colors. Most of it is based on water clarity, light penetration at depth, and color of forage. Sometimes, with the really wild stuff, I think they just get curious. The color will draw active fish in to check out the lure, and the impulse to catch and kill something that runs away from them takes over from there.

Thanks! You just gave me an excuse to start collecting rapala ultralights. Hahahaha

Coenen

I have boxes of Raps, they're a favorite of mine. There are only really 5 colors of the standard Rapala minnow: Silver, Gold, Trout, Fire Tiger, Hot Mustard. I'm sure there are others on the shelf, but those are the ones you want.

BassMan31

I own a lot of fire-tiger lures. I fish them often. I've caught few fish.

I prefer natural colors. Browns and greens produce well for me for nearly any lure. Shad colors work best on swimbaits for me.

Hillbilly stalker

A black worm
A chartreuse spinner bait
2 # 7 shad raps. 1 shad colored and 1 Bronze for stained water
A white Lunker lure ( buzz bait)

That will catch every bass that swims.

A black or chartreuse jig...or combination of the two at the right speed and depth will catch 90% of the crappie.

Theres a lot of other different colors and designs that make things more Interesting sometimes. Ain’t nothing as fun as skipping a frog under low limbs and all of a sudden it looks like somebody flushed a commode under it. That’s exciting. But like already stated most lures are made to catch fishermen. As long as your having fun your doing it right.