What's thin braid for?

GA1dad

I have a 10 bearing Pinnacle baitcaster I've really been struggling with. It gets backlash no matter what I do. The other day I was at Walmart and on a whim I purchased a couple of spools of 20 lb. Berkley Big Game braid. Note, this is only my second time ever using braid. The reason I bought 20 lb. is because it had such a small diameter. Yesterday I spooled it up and right away I was casting the reel just fine,, no backlashing. Life was good right up until it began digging/burrowing into itself on the spool. After doing some reading today, that is evidently a prevalent issue with using small diameter braid and reportedly is why most bass fishermen use 50 plus pound braid. I thought about taking it off and putting it on a spinning reel,,,,, but it makes sense that it would burrow on any type of spool. Got me to thinking,,, just what is this light braided line made for?

Spaver

Personally I use lightish (20lb) braid on my spinning gear when I want added “feel” like on a drop shot or Ned rig. The key to avoiding the digging in or slipping a bare spool is to first spool on some mono for a backer then add the braid. Doesn’t take much, just enough to cover the spool a few times. Also make sure you spool the braid fairly tight to avoid it digging into the mono. That way you get the performance of the braid without the digging in or slipping it can have on a bare spool. I’m sure others may be able to tell you more.

ghadarits

I only use braid on a bait caster for flipping and pitching heavy cover. I do use it on all my spinning reels though.

BassMan31

Braid on a baitcaster is a nightmare. Once under about 15-test diameter equivalent, the line cuts into itself and will be difficult to cast without overruns. Of course, some brands have this issue more than others (looking at spiderwire). I've gotten to the point that I only spool braid on my spinning gear and use Flouro leader. I use either mono or flouro on baitcasters.

I have 8 lb test braid on one of my bank fishing set-ups and I can cast a super-spook half-way across West Point when facing the river. :banana:

Seriously, I use light braid when casting distance is an absolute must and only on open-face reels. Using light braid on baitcaster will make even a preacher cuss.

GA1dad

Thanks all,,,, I'll go ahead and try it on the spinning reel.

Ajohnson0587

Only braid that should be on a bait caster is 60-65lb, flipping or casting a hollow body frog are the most common setup’s. I have a flipping and frog rod with 65lb braid, casting is not an issue. 20lb braid or less is great for finesse spinning gear.

lampern

Musky and Pike fishermen use 50-100 pound braid all the time for throwing the huge baits they use. Using baitcasters.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Light braid to a flouro leader for ultimate sensitivity on finesse rigs like drop shot, Ned rig, etc. Spinning reel only.
Works on Crappie as well..:)

But that’s as finesse as it gets on jigs...

doomtrpr_z71

I use light braid on bait casters all the time saltwater fishing, you need to spool it on tight and it needs to be a good reel that the levelwindays the line out nice and tight across the spool. I wouldn't put nanofil or gliss on a bait caster since it's so finicky.

Cmcharles

After you spool the reel and in the first trip out let all the line out behind the boat at a trolling speed then wind it back in with the rod tip low to the water. That’ll pack it wet and tight where it won’t dig in anymore.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Only braid that should be on a bait caster is 60-65lb, flipping or casting a hollow body frog are the most common setup’s. I have a flipping and frog rod with 65lb braid, casting is not an issue. 20lb braid or less is great for finesse spinning gear.
This right here pretty much sums it up.;)

Browning Slayer

After you spool the reel and in the first trip out let all the line out behind the boat at a trolling speed then wind it back in with the rod tip low to the water. That’ll pack it wet and tight where it won’t dig in anymore.
This is what I do, except I wet the paper towel.

Browning Slayer

Aw man, I didn't realize until just now how much I miss Jose.:(

There’s a Spanish Fly sticker on the back window of my truck. When it fades I order another one from Krissy..

Last edited:

CaptKeith

Jose was such a nice guy in person too! As to braid, I have used the light stuff for a long time with no issues, butI primarily use it on spinning gear.

JohnK

I like 15 on my spinning but either way it won't dig in. I'd use 10 but it's so small it gives me trouble with knots. I use 40 on baitcasters, some say they can do 30 but I don't trust it myself. 40 lb casts very well and I haven't had digging issues....but if you get hung up and start yanking you might.

TKLB

I use braid to leader on almost every one of my setups. For my spinning and my 70 size baitcaster I use 15 pound braid. All my other baitcasters have either 20 or 30 pound suffix 832 braid except for my big swimbait rod that has 50 pound 832 braid. I don't have any problems from any of them. I run a Mono backing, and then between 75 and 120 yards of braid depending on the setup then usually a 12-18 foot Fluoro leader. You can not beat the sensitivity of braid to a Fluoro leader.

Geffellz18

Off topic, but I wonder how anyone caught any fish with a cane pole and string back in the day reading through the different setups on here for this presentation, that presentation.
Guess that’s why I do more fishing than catching apparently.