What is the largest size of Catfish where it is not good eating and treating a catfish infestation.

JR924

Friend has a trophy bass pond that he engineered and maintained to get 8+ pound largemouth bass. Instead he has a lot of small to big channel cats and very few bass. Catfish are evidently eating the bass fingerlings he keeps adding. Original advice he got on how to stock the pond was off. He has enlisted me and other friends to help thin out the catfish. We are using fish traps, cane poles, fishing rods, you name it. Best bait so far is cheap hotdogs mixed with cherry koolaide and garlic. I bury the small cats in my garden and eat the 1+ lb cats when we can or they go in the garden if I do not have time to clean them. He has bigger channel cats in the pond and many getting bigger as this problem continues. He caught a 6 lb one the other day.

My 1st question is related to this but more in general. Except for this overpopulation problem, I wish to throw back any catfish I will not eat. In terms of flatheads, blues and channel catfish, what size limit would you say when exceeded, the fish is not good eating? Note I know the big fish is proabably edible, but I only want to keep the real tasty ones. Also if you have a preparation trick to make a normally poorer tasting big fish taste great, please share.

2nd questions is are their any other ideas how to rid the pond of the catfish infestation? Nets are out due to the many man made structures in the pond that would snag a net and he does not want to drain and refill. Trot lines are out due to snagging the man made structures, bluegills are biting on the catfish bait (chicken livers, dough bate and the treated hotdogs) and he does not want to have to maintain them. Traps are working better with the treated hotdogs bringing in cats into the trap but caught mostly bluegill with baiting them with chicken livers and dough bait. He tried electro shock but was told it did not work as well on catfish as not many came up to be counted. Note, he will not open it up to other fisherman, just his friends but I am the only one that likes to catch catfish. His other friends go for the few bass he has. I told him a catfish infestation is a good problem to have but he has his sights set on raising trophy bass. Pay lake was out of the question although I think it would be profitable. Thanks for any responses.

Josh B

You should try using cut bait or live bait for the bigger catfish. If you have a boat you could try jugs. I never had much luck with traps but have been told to use cheese bait. Probably could order it online. I would rather catch a big catfish than a bass personally. A 30 to 40 pound catfish is pretty exciting. Limb lines could work also.

KKrueger

call the folks at lakework.com good folks. Greg is dealing with a super similar situation right now. Owner might be amazed at how fast they can have quality bass if they start over, and could possibly cover some cost by sale of many of the fish that are in it now.

basshappy

BANNED
@JR924 use 2/0 octopus circle hooks with bait to cover to focus on landing catfish and not brim.

How many rods you got? Set 'em up,.loosen the drag, and passively fish them while relaxing or actively fishing another rod.

If your close in proximity to his pond set up a chum area for the Catfish. Make some bait, stuff the nylons, sink it, and repeat every couple days. Won't be long and catfish will be used to the area for feed. Fish that area.

Electroshock will raise catfish like any other fish. As long as they are 5 feet or shallower. Below 6 feet and the shock fails to stun the fish for the most part.

Your buddy may consider lowering water level to concentrate the fish, and allow the offending fish to be removed.

little rascal

Traps are working better with the treated hotdogs bringing in cats into the trap but caught mostly bluegill with baiting them with chicken livers and dough bait
Use Cheese in the traps, you'll catch catfish. Bream and turtles won't bother with it.

Big7

The Oracle
I'll come back to this when I get a minute but the first thing that jumped out at me was:
I wish to throw back any catfish I will not eat. In terms of flatheads, blues and channel catfish, what size limit would you say when exceeded, the fish is not good eating? Note I know the big fish is proabably edible, but I only want to keep the real tasty ones.
Two things.

1) If you want to have trophy Bass and Brim, you CAN NOT have them in a small body of water that has ANY Flatheads, Blue Cat or to a lesser extent, larger Channel Cat.

Flatheads and Blues, along with landlocked Striper are THE TOP PREDATORS in freshwater, so get rid of ALL of them unless you want a catfish lake.

2) Contrary to popular myth and folklore, the size of a catfish has absolutely nothing to do with the taste. It has only to do with water quality, and forage. Large catfish of any sub species will have more fat and larger blood lines. Properly dressed catfish will remove excess fat and blood lines and it will be no different in taste than a fish that weights 2 pounds.

All that mess you've been hearing about big cats not being good to eat is bull hockey. I've caught and ate many Flatheads and Blues in the 70# + range and plenty of Channel 30# +.

When I'm rod fishing for catfish, if it's not 30 pounds, I don't even want them wrecking my set.

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

The only way to get what he wants is going to be, Drain. Poison. Put up with a zillion buzzards. Refill Restock. And that also depends on the feeder source. Spring fed hes got a chance. Creek fed better screen the incoming source.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Channel cats are good at about any size, but about 2-5 lbs is the ideal range. I eat plenty of 10-15 lb channels, though. BTW, those little ones you speak of are delicious. Gut, skin, and fry them whole.

Flatheads never get too big to be good. They are delicious from babies up to a hundred pounds, and that flathead belly meat is like halibut. Personally, I don't like blue cats over about five pounds or so much. When they get over about 20, they get a weird, stringy texture with big tendons like masonry twine running all through the fillets. And it doesn't have a good flavor. The belly meat is still good on the bigger blues, though, but I don't want the fillets.

Big7

The Oracle
Channel cats are good at about any size, but about 2-5 lbs is the ideal range. I eat plenty of 10-15 lb channels, though. BTW, those little ones you speak of are delicious. Gut, skin, and fry them whole.

Flatheads never get too big to be good. They are delicious from babies up to a hundred pounds, and that flathead belly meat is like halibut. Personally, I don't like blue cats over about five pounds or so much. When they get over about 20, they get a weird, stringy texture with big tendons like masonry twine running all through the fillets. And it doesn't have a good flavor. The belly meat is still good on the bigger blues, though, but I don't want the fillets.
Cut those big Blue fillets in 3/4 in strips perpendicular to where the spine was and you might change your mind. For the real finicky, cut 1/2 in instead of 3/4. :wink:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Cut those big Blue fillets in 3/4 in strips perpendicular to where the spine was and you might change your mind. For the real finicky, cut 1/2 in instead of 3/4. :wink:
I have. Many, many times. They still suck compared to most good fish. They're edible. So is grass. I throw the bigger blues back and keep channels, flatheads, and small blues.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I throw back loads of these every year:
IMG_2268.jpeg
These get ate:
IMG_0264.jpeg
IMG_2259.jpeg

flathead.jpg

jugs411-1.jpg

Last edited:

twtabb

Have you a Boy Scout pack camp out. Tell them they can keep all the cat fish they can catch.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
PM sent

Latest posts