Educate me - "other" migratory bird species

HardlyHangin

So Obviously you got your ducks, geese, crows, and doves - but does anyone hunt these other birds?

Gallinules, Coots, Mergansers, Snipe, Sora, Rails, Woodcock?

Big7

The Oracle
Hunted Woodcock and Snipe as a young kid. Plenty on Grandma's farm up until early 80's. Good to eat.

Haven't seen many since then.

GTMODawg

BANNED
have hunted snipe, rails (Soras are a type of rail) and woodcock as well as gallinules and coots. Gallinules are pretty good table fare, coots are unedible other than used in soups and gumbos and the like and then they are very rich and add a lot of flavor when used sparingly and mixed with other meats. Mergansers are ducks. Fish eating ducks and wood duck nest invading ducks but ducks. Something in the drool of a laborador retreiver will cause a dna level change from a pintail drake to a common merganser almost every time. Manys the time I have shot a pintail drake only to have this transformation take place when the dog is sent to fetch that beautiful bird....and returned with a common merganser....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
have hunted snipe, rails (Soras are a type of rail) and woodcock as well as gallinules and coots. Gallinules are pretty good table fare, coots are unedible other than used in soups and gumbos and the like and then they are very rich and add a lot of flavor when used sparingly and mixed with other meats. Mergansers are ducks. Fish eating ducks and wood duck nest invading ducks but ducks. Something in the drool of a laborador retreiver will cause a dna level change from a pintail drake to a common merganser almost every time. Manys the time I have shot a pintail drake only to have this transformation take place when the dog is sent to fetch that beautiful bird....and returned with a common merganser....
Recent episodes of Meateater kind of shoot down the coots are inedible trope. They still agree that coyotes are inedible. :)