We need a listing in GON for Handgun

Jason C

For all you hand gun hunter, we need GON to add handgun hunting to the statewide big buck list.....we have rifle, bow, crossbow and blackpowder, but no big buck listings for biggest buck taken with a pistol.... Whats your guys thoughts?

GunnSmokeer

I agree. Have a category for handguns.
I used to have a T/c Contender with both a 44 magnum barrel and a .30-30 Winchester barrel.

rosewood

For all you hand gun hunter, we need GON to add handgun hunting to the statewide big buck list.....we have rifle, bow, crossbow and blackpowder, but no big buck listings for biggest buck taken with a pistol.... Whats your guys thoughts?
I suppose you would have to set more criteria. Being you can have a pistol in a rifle cartridge with a 15" barrel, would that qualify? Scoped or not? Lots of arguments either way with that. Then the short barreled ARs are called Pistols even though they shoot and handle like a rifle.

Rosewood

rosewood

transfixer

That would probably get real complicated, real quick, as there is a big difference in taking a deer with a 6 inch 44mag revolver versus a 10in scoped AR pistol in a rifle caliber. Including all those the ATF considers pistols wouldn't be quite fair to those shooting traditional iron sighted short barreled pistols

Newt2

How would you define what is a handgun?
A simple reason is a firearm shot with the hand not the shoulder. Suggesting AR pistols with a brace is placing it out there. Common sense would be the norm on such a category.

I've taken a lot of deer over the years and all were with a "traditional" handgun, save 6 with muzzleloader and rifle.

Let's have it. I have many stories to tell.

basshappy

BANNED
Maybe a revolver category? Because for the most part that is what all handgun hunting used to be. Revolver - iron sights, no glass. Would be a great addition (category). I know harvesting my first buck using my iron sight Redhawk from 20 yards was something I was proud of. And I don't feel it is the same as a scoped rifle from 100 yards away.

Jason C

A simple reason is a firearm shot with the hand not the shoulder. Suggesting AR pistols with a brace is placing it out there. Common sense would be the norm on such a category.

I've taken a lot of deer over the years and all were with a "traditional" handgun, save 6 with muzzleloader and rifle.

Let's have it. I have many stories to tell.

I agree ...a pistol is shot with the hands not using your shoulder, kind of comes down to a common sence thing, I think we all actually know what a tru pistol is.

transfixer

I agree ...a pistol is shot with the hands not using your shoulder, kind of comes down to a common sence thing, I think we all actually know what a tru pistol is.

Yes, they would likely need to clarify the definition in the rules, handguns shot with one hand, and maybe even in further as to only pistol calibers, the majority of AR pistols now are virtually just short barreled rifles, don't get me wrong, I love em ! and have a few,, but they have an unfair advantage over a traditional pistol

Seminole Wind

I've killed deer with revolvers and with single shot handguns in bottle neck cartridges. All were more challenging than the deer I've killed with a shoulder mounted gun and deserve a separate category from rifles. But, the rifle class is not divided into categories, even though an old iron sighted 30-30 "competes" with modern rifles and scopes that cost as much as a small car. I'd vote for all handguns being the same category.