Are You Going To South Dakota Pheasant Hunting

Nimrod71

I have had a number of hunters asking me about going to South Dakota this year and I was wondering who all on GON were planning trips this year. If you are going and don't mind sharing where it may be of help to fellow hunters.

FOLES55

Head out in just a couple weeks!

Chamberlin, SD to be exact. This will be my 2nd trip there and highly recommended to all who might inquire about it. I can already hear those faint rooster cackles in my sleep.

Fishin & Hunting

A late trip in December. Hand County, Miller SD

Last edited:

Nimrod71

Foless, I have driven through Chamberlin a number of times but I have not hunted there. However, I have hunted at PucWonna about 30 miles East just North of 90. Patterson has a large cattle operation there and he lets me hunt his place.

My last trips out have been to Winner, just a little farther West and South of 90. The hunting there has been really good because of all the sun flowers grown there.

Good luck on your trip.

FOLES55

Foless, I have driven through Chamberlin a number of times but I have not hunted there. However, I have hunted at PucWonna about 30 miles East just North of 90. Patterson has a large cattle operation there and he lets me hunt his place.

My last trips out have been to Winner, just a little farther West and South of 90. The hunting there has been really good because of all the sun flowers grown there.

Good luck on your trip.
Thank you!

seaduck

I was one that contacted nimrod. A group of us are heading out next year. November 2023. We will be staying in Mitchell. Good luck to all headed out this year and hope to read more about y’all’s experiences.

Pruitt101

Those of you who have hunted near Mitchell and Chamberlain, do you see any grouse while hunting? I'm very interested in going there in Sept. and chasing them..........

ddavis1120

My group hunts the first week of December every year. Stay in Chamberlain and hunt around the area on private land. It is a great place to hunt big wild birds with amazing scenery.

We see a few grouse but they would be hard to target because you’re going see so many pheasant.

Cool Hand Luke

Been years ago but hunted in Chamberlain with an indian feller named Larry around Halloween for several years. Fly into Sioux Falls, stop at Cabelas for shells and license. Stayed at the Best Western and usually ate supper at Al's Oasis (best prime rib ever). Back then there were a couple of bars on Main street to hang out at in the evening. Standing corn was my favorite to hunt, you could see the birds running around and jump deer. A whole different world out there....

mecicon

Leaving November 3, pulling a 5th Wheel for lodging, 3 dogs in the back seat. Staying in Presho. We will hunt public land (GPA, WIA and Ft. Pierre National Grassland) a couple days then head to private land for 3-4 days.

First time to try IA on the way back for a couple days.

I've been going almost every year since '04, first several years went to Winner. In 2016 we tried Presho and found a farmer/rancher that let us hunt for cheap when all others wanted $300-$400 per day.tempImageYKKScH.jpgtempImageYKKScH.jpg

Whitefeather

Management Material
Head out in just a couple weeks!

Chamberlin, SD to be exact. This will be my 2nd trip there and highly recommended to all who might inquire about it. I can already hear those faint rooster cackles in my sleep.
My group hunts the first week of December every year. Stay in Chamberlain and hunt around the area on private land. It is a great place to hunt big wild birds with amazing scenery.

We see a few grouse but they would be hard to target because you’re going see so many pheasant.
Been years ago but hunted in Chamberlain with an indian feller named Larry around Halloween for several years. Fly into Sioux Falls, stop at Cabelas for shells and license. Stayed at the Best Western and usually ate supper at Al's Oasis (best prime rib ever). Back then there were a couple of bars on Main street to hang out at in the evening. Standing corn was my favorite to hunt, you could see the birds running around and jump deer. A whole different world out there....

I actually grew up in Chamberlain/Oacoma. Y’all making me homesick. We are headed back in early October to visit my folks. Good luck to all

deerslayer357

Headed out November 9th for 4 days of hunting, close to Aberdeen. Farmer let’s us hunt his land and then we will also hunt some public land. This will be 5 years at the same farm for me, and my 9th trip for pheasants.

Gator89

Those of you who have hunted near Mitchell and Chamberlain, do you see any grouse while hunting? I'm very interested in going there in Sept. and chasing them..........

I see an occasional grouse and have managed to bag a half dozen or so Sharpies hunting NE of Pierre.

The National Grasslands south of Pierre have good sharptail hunting.