Did the Dam thing at Crowhop

Bananaslug22

5 or so of us put in at Langdale and floated down to Crowhop ahead of the scheduled generation. Got to Crowhop 20 minutes before the water did. 6 fish caught between the 5 of us and 4 of those were on the way down to Crowhop! I got skunked. Dad got skunked. One guy caught 3, and then 1, 1 and 1.

First time getting Dad on a kayak. He was a little worried but came away highly impressed with what they can do. Cant wait to get him on the Flint for some Shoalies. This was the first time he'd been to Crowhop in 57 years. His dad took him down there as a 7 yr old and per Dad, this is where he caught his first fish over off the sandy beach in the background of the photos on the Georgia side.

He said they went through 300 ft long mud holes in his dad's 63 Ford along the old logging roads that are not doubt still there. Glad he got to see the dam again before they get torn out.

Get down there to Langdale and Crowhop while you can fellas. Once they're gone, they're gone!

Qazaq15

Nice! That's one of my favorite spots in the summer. I usually launch at Riverside and paddle up to it. Any word on when they're going to tear them out

Qazaq15

Cool!

& Man ya’ll we’re thirsty! ?

Where about is this? Looks like a neat place to check out.

It’s on the chattahoochee below West Point dam. Most people put canoes and kayaks in on the Alabama side. There’s a few old cotton mill dams like that one that are going to get torn out by Georgia power.

Bananaslug22

I’m hearing 2023 is the goal for the deconstruction but I’m unsure how realistic that is if there are further studies and government/public meetings required by law, etc….Either way it’s fast approaching in the grand scheme of things.

The biologists say a more natural flowing river is better for the fish and spawning patterns and al that stuff. Maybe it is….I hope they’re right but it’s gonna take years to find out.

Geffellz18

It’s on the chattahoochee below West Point dam. Most people put canoes and kayaks in on the Alabama side. There’s a few old cotton mill dams like that one that are going to get torn out by Georgia power.

Thanks! My sister has a house on Harding. May go check these places out next time I’m down that way visiting.

Qazaq15

Thanks! My sister has a house on Harding. May go check these places out next time I’m down that way visiting.

No problem. Actually, crow hop dam is considered the very top of lake harding. Search for the riverview boat launch in valley alabama. Thats where I launch from. The only thing you have to make sure of is that they aren't pulling water from WP dam. When they are its almost impossible to paddle upstream.

JROESEL

If anyone goes here, please check the generation schedule long before going, that water rises 4-6 foot in about a hour, there has been people killed where your standing in that photo, that’s one of the reasons there tearing out langdale, it suppose to happen to in 2023, it’s already been approved and the city has bought a lot of the property along the river, coe is working on erosion issues now, that’s going to be a lot of water coming through there, when that dam is busted, that elevation drop is probably some where around ten or so feet, and all of it water and silt, coe said they have to dredge before they can blow it, to much silt, so when we see a dredge, it’s around the corner, please be careful, it is beautiful there

Last edited:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Looks like good stream fishing cover at present. Tough to understand how dumping a silt bed is going to improve a river. But that’s politics.

Bananaslug22

Yes, In high school I worked with who may be the last person killed(that I know of) at Crowhop a few years back and I lived beside her grandmother for 3 yrs in the first house I bought. People don't understand how dangerous rivers can be.
They were scheduled to generate at 3pm the day we went. Water started coming over the Crowhop dam around 6 so It took 3 hours to get down to Crowhop from West Pt Dam if they really started at 3pm.

There is going to be a crap ton of silt released behind those dams. Rocks and shoals and God knows what else are going to be exposed that no one has seen for over 100 yrs. Gonna be interesting.

There is a Generation schedule website the Corp uses for all of their dams. here in Gerogia. Around noon of each day, they update the potential schedule for the following day.

Also, I believe the only reason they are tearing out the dams is because its causing them millions of dollars a year for upkeep. The article I read says they have to keep the dams operational even though they are not used for power generation anymore.

http://spatialdata.sam.usace.army.mil/hydropower/default.aspx

cowhornedspike

Looks like good stream fishing cover at present. Tough to understand how dumping a silt bed is going to improve a river. But that’s politics.
Wouldn't have been any silt if they had just left the river alone to start with. I am in favor or putting her back the way she was when at all possible.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Somebody drowns in that stretch of the river about every year or so. Usually because of the low head dams.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Some of the best striper fishing anywhere in the spring time . Probably one of the only places I’ve had to put my rod down and take a break . It can get rough though . We always fished it at high water when they were generating .

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Wouldn't have been any silt if they had just left the river alone to start with. I am in favor or putting her back the way she was when at all possible.

Im admittedly not familiar with that stretch of river. If that rock cover extends down stream you can say it’s gone. A hundred years of silt will bury everything on the bottom for quite a distance. I agree with you in principle but there is no returning the river to it previous state at this point. It will free flow but have a mud bottom.

brunofishing

South of the last spillway for at least 3 miles the water is only a few feet deep. It's the north end of Lake Harding where the sand bar is that lots of people park on and swim. I would think a few miles of that stretch of river already needs dredging. O and what are they going to do about all the alligators up there?

cowhornedspike

Im admittedly not familiar with that stretch of river. If that rock cover extends down stream you can say it’s gone. A hundred years of silt will bury everything on the bottom for quite a distance. I agree with you in principle but there is no returning the river to it previous state at this point. It will free flow but have a mud bottom.

It became exposed rock because the rushing water washed all the dirt off of it and down to the ocean (or a place of calm water where it could settle) in the first place...why don't you think that will still happen? It will end up in the next lake downstream but shouldn't stay long on the rocks where the river flows freely.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
5 or so of us put in at Langdale and floated down to Crowhop ahead of the scheduled generation. Got to Crowhop 20 minutes before the water did. 6 fish caught between the 5 of us and 4 of those were on the way down to Crowhop! I got skunked. Dad got skunked. One guy caught 3, and then 1, 1 and 1.

First time getting Dad on a kayak. He was a little worried but came away highly impressed with what they can do. Cant wait to get him on the Flint for some Shoalies. This was the first time he'd been to Crowhop in 57 years. His dad took him down there as a 7 yr old and per Dad, this is where he caught his first fish over off the sandy beach in the background of the photos on the Georgia side.

He said they went through 300 ft long mud holes in his dad's 63 Ford along the old logging roads that are not doubt still there. Glad he got to see the dam again before they get torn out.

Get down there to Langdale and Crowhop while you can fellas. Once they're gone, they're gone!
I am a little familiar with that area. I have launched outa Langdale and paddled upstream and had very good experiences fishing below the dam. But how did you get out going down at crowhop? Did you paddle upstream back to Langdale? Did you portage across the island between the two dams? And pull out at Riverview?

Thanks I did a ground and OnX recon yesterday and I can’t figuare out how you got around the dams north of Riverview.
thanks