Flint River Fun 6/3/23

Bananaslug22

Was able to get my 12 yr old and my dad on the Flint this past Saturday. Son caught his first Shoalie and my dad probably his first Shoalie “on purpose”. We had been on the water for only 10 minutes when he hooked the 4.5 lber. She was spawned out and surely a solid 5 lb fish if otherwise.

I said “on purpose” due to the fact that he told me they used to go down to Bartlett’s Ferry and catch “Redeyes” and “Rock bass”. He said they also would go below Crowhop and do the same before West Point lake was dammed. He thought they were also catching Smallmouth or at least that’s what they thought they were.
I told him that they were probably catching Shoal bass and just didn’t know it especially since Shoal Bass didn’t get scientifically named until 1999.
I told him I wasnt sure if Smallmouth were native to the Hooch but I would look it up for him.

We got into some good holes and could have caught them all day if we had the time. It was a good day.

Attachments

• IMG_6635.jpeg
    IMG_6635.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6625.jpeg
    IMG_6625.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6615.jpeg
    IMG_6615.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6613.jpeg
    IMG_6613.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6604.jpeg
    IMG_6604.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6606.jpeg
    IMG_6606.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 70

Big7

The Oracle
I heard Mullet were biting pretty good down there.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I heard Mullet were biting pretty good down there.

Not on the Flint they ain`t because there ain`t none. In 45 years of fishing and hunting on Lake Seminole I`ve seen one small school of mullet, one time. That`s it. Now down below the dam and on down the Apalachicola River I`m sure they run up it a ways, but the preferred bait is a good cast net. They don`t fish for mullet there like they do up the Altamaha, Oconee, and Ocmulgee.

Big7

The Oracle
Not on the Flint they ain`t because there ain`t none. In 45 years of fishing and hunting on Lake Seminole I`ve seen one small school of mullet, one time. That`s it. Now down below the dam and on down the Apalachicola River I`m sure they run up it a ways, but the preferred bait is a good cast net. They don`t fish for mullet there like they do up the Altamaha, Oconee, and Ocmulgee.
I know a place in the Diversion Canal right at the mouth of Lake Moultrie where you can get them year around and plenty big enough to eat.

Right at the power plant discharge. You can throw a cast net there until your arm falls off and not knock a dent in them.

Good to eat and good cut bait. The belly is my second choice for bait there right behind a Blueback. Blueback ain't hard to find either.

SouthGa Fisher

We used to catch them right at the beginning of netting season in early November pretty regularly. I remember catching them even as high up as the old barge across from the boat basin.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We used to catch them right at the beginning of netting season in early November pretty regularly. I remember catching them even as high up as the old barge across from the boat basin.

Well now, I learned something. Thanks for the info.