Shoulder injury recovery

timetohunt

Back in November I fell and injured my right shoulder. Have gone through PT since then and now they finally did the MRI. Have two torn tendons around my rotator cuff. Right shoulder of course and I am right handed. They are now probably going to operate. I haven't drawn a string since November and was hoping to get back into bow hunting this Spring. Has anyone had this same problem and if so how long did it take to get to the point where you could bow hunt again or at least shoot at a target?

BamaGeorgialine

I tore my rotator cuff, labrum and bicep in both shoulders at different times. It doesn't take as long as you'd think to get back in the game. Maybe three or four months. I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of shape you are in prior to the injury. I dropped my poundage down to 45 lbs when I started back. I enjoy physical therapy about as much as I enjoy going to the dentist, but I do think that it's critical that you do it. Good luck

mar0311

Longbow=Both shoulders rotator surgery over the years. I sit here recovering from reverse shoulder replacement surgery and I will be back in the saddle by bow season. Drop down in pounds pulling or consider rotator cuff repair. Good Luck

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I’m the wrong one to give advice but I’ve had three rotator cuff surgery since September. Left arm was no problem. Right shoulder was a mess for the doctor to repair. Nov 30for that repair. Fell and tore it all back loose in the right shoulder Dec 24. Surgery again on February 20th. It will not get better without surgery only worse. Only advice I can give is don’t be a klutz and fall as I did.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
It took me about 3 months each to get back up to full running speed from both of my rotator cuff surgeries. Both had torn ligaments that had to be reattached and remove bone spurs.Had to cut big incisions on one to reattach and remove bone spurs.

BamaGeorgialine

Also I had to sleep propped up on the sofa.A recliner is your friend.
Shaving bone spurs caused me more pain than anything and I've had detached biceps, torn labrums, torn rotar cuffs, four screws in my neck, torn meniscus in both knees and I tore one again a couple of months ago and canceled my surgery this Monday. All separate surgeries. I've spent a total of an entire year sleeping in a recliner a few months at a time. It sucks

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Ice pacs will be your friend. Use throughout the day as needed. I myself get more relief from that than hydrocodone. I’m guessing the swelling in shoulder is what’s causing my pain.

Bobbrown

im right handed and blind In my right eye. Shot instinctive for years but was never really happy with my accuracy. So…switched to left handed. Used. 35# over the winter for couple months then moved up to a hunting compound with sights. Not a problem! Far easier than I anticipated.

bullgator

You’re getting good advice here. 3-4 months if you are diligent about the physical therapy. They will give you some exercises you can do at home to help with range of motion…..do them! The way PT works is to work on range of motion first, and then start on the strengthening process. Push it too fast and you can re-injure it. Slack off on the PT and you leave yourself with limitations. You have plenty of time for archery season.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
You’re getting good advice here. 3-4 months if you are diligent about the physical therapy. They will give you some exercises you can do at home to help with range of motion…..do them! The way PT works is to work on range of motion first, and then start on the strengthening process. Push it too fast and you can re-injure it. Slack off on the PT and you leave yourself with limitations. You have plenty of time for archery season.
Truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryanh487

Do some research into peptides. Particularly BPC157 and TB500. If you are in otherwise good health, there is little to no risk in their use and the combo has been known as the "wolverine protocol" among athletes and body builders for the near miraculous healing results for arthritis, tendinitis, sprains, strains and tears in tendons, ligaments and muscle.

timetohunt

Do some research into peptides. Particularly BPC157 and TB500. If you are in otherwise good health, there is little to no risk in their use and the combo has been known as the "wolverine protocol" among athletes and body builders for the near miraculous healing results for arthritis, tendinitis, sprains, strains and tears in tendons, ligaments and muscle.
Thanks I haven't heard about this.

timetohunt

I tore my rotator cuff, labrum and bicep in both shoulders at different times. It doesn't take as long as you'd think to get back in the game. Maybe three or four months. I think a lot of it has to do with what kind of shape you are in prior to the injury. I dropped my poundage down to 45 lbs when I started back. I enjoy physical therapy about as much as I enjoy going to the dentist, but I do think that it's critical that you do it. Good luck
Did they have to operate on yours, I believe that is what they want to do?

timetohunt

Longbow=Both shoulders rotator surgery over the years. I sit here recovering from reverse shoulder replacement surgery and I will be back in the saddle by bow season. Drop down in pounds pulling or consider rotator cuff repair. Good Luck
Thanks

timetohunt

It took me about 3 months each to get back up to full running speed from both of my rotator cuff surgeries. Both had torn ligaments that had to be reattached and remove bone spurs.Had to cut big incisions on one to reattach and remove bone spurs.
I have two ligiments that are completely torn and those bone spurs too. Not looking forward to surgery.

timetohunt

im right handed and blind In my right eye. Shot instinctive for years but was never really happy with my accuracy. So…switched to left handed. Used. 35# over the winter for couple months then moved up to a hunting compound with sights. Not a problem! Far easier than I anticipated.
Never tried to be a lefty could be interesting.

timetohunt

It is tough to keep up with the exercises when you get depressed about the injury. Thanks for the advice.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have two ligiments that are completely torn and those bone spurs too. Not looking forward to surgery.
Just trust the process of recovery and rehab.
I looked at it as 3 months because of 60 years of fun and work.