Best coon bait for dog proof trap

FOLES55

I like lucky charms cereal, peanut butter, honey buns and obviously whole corn since that’s what their originally after anyways.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Got some shrimp juice from thawing some out, should werk

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
They’re scavengers. Multiple types of bait works. Just set your traps where coons are located.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
They’re scavengers. Multiple types of bait works. Just set your traps where coons are located.
I know, they're like mini bears

Everyone is trying to build a bigger mousetrap

jchowell90

Honeybuns are the best coon bait in my opinion..we have caught 10 from around our hog traps this week...with dog proofs

rosewood

Sardines seemed to work every time I used them. May be a bit more pricey than other bait, may depend on how many you have to catch. Seems like I could bait up 3 or so traps with 1 can.

Pack it down in there tight with astick, when they get greedy trying to get the last bit out....well greed is their downfall.

Rosewood

Bigmonk96

caught 26 in two years and only used min-marshmallows -- I started out using cat food / sardines in the live traps,but only caught opossums and one fox -- using the DP-traps, the marshmallows did the trick**

Doug B.

I've never understood why some people fill the trap completely up. All it takes is enough to cover the trigger and scatter just a little bit on the ground around the trap. If you fill the trap up he might get full before he gets to the trigger.
I'm with you there. You are not there to feed the coons. You are there to trap them. It is a lot quicker to get them caught if you only put what is needed instead of filling them up!

ldavid008

I added some liquid scent once and only once and will never do so again. Cat food and my preference of mini-marshmallows only from now on. Dealing with the left over mess when needing to relocate or remove the traps was a pain.

Big7

The Oracle
When I need to relocate a coon I use sardines packed in plain oil and a cage trap. Works every time, usually overnight.

I don't see why I wouldn't work in a dog- proof.

Doug B.

When I need to relocate a coon I use sardines packed in plain oil and a cage trap. Works every time, usually overnight.

I don't see why I wouldn't work in a dog- proof.
It would work. I personally prefer not to use something like that though just because it makes a mess in the trap. After a time or two of using that the the trap might need cleaned to keep all the working parts working good where with dry bait you can just move the trap wherever you want it and keep trapping without needing to clean it. YMMV

rosewood

It would work. I personally prefer not to use something like that though just because it makes a mess in the trap. After a time or two of using that the the trap might need cleaned to keep all the working parts working good where with dry bait you can just move the trap wherever you want it and keep trapping without needing to clean it. YMMV
The oil keeps it from rusting. :)