Dog proof coon traps.

dslc6487

Saw a video on computer the other day talking about rabies. A man died in the hospital from a brain tumor and the family allowed the medical staff to harvest some of his organs and transplanted them into several other patients. The man had been bitten by a bat a few days prior to his death and he had contracted rabies. The medical staff was unaware of this, and, evidently a test for rabies is not done prior to any transplanted organs.

Long story short, all of the patients that got an organ from the man with the rabies, died. Doctors could not figure out what was wrong as the patients slowly passed away one after another. Finally rabies was detected. Sad story but true.

I live on a small farm with several barn cats. I also have 2 deer feeders to attract deer, but I don't deer hunt. Just like to watch them and watch them as they mature is size, it they don't get shot. Around my deer feeders I have a problem with coons eating my corn. They will also come onto my back porch and eat my cat food if I do not take it up at night. The video said that about 30% of all coons have rabies. I have 6 grandchildren that are at my house quite often, so I think you can see my concern about my coon population. Thinking about trapping them. Have looked at the dog proof coon traps. I have never done any trapping in my life. Have watched a few you tube videos on these traps and they seem simple enough.

First, do I need a trapping license to trap coons on my own land. Is there a trapping season and if so, what are the dates. I live in middle Ga.
Also, can someone out there that has had experience with these traps school me on what you know.
What brand name traps would you recommend. Certainly do not want one that a dog or cat could get into.

Thank you very much

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
You do need a license , it is free for your on property . Trapping season is Dec.1-Feb.28 . And I think all of the dog proof traps are safe for dogs . I have used them a couple times but not often . I have a few , not sure of name brand . You could probably work on them pretty good with a couple of the cage style traps .

sleepr71

Yes,you do need a License. Go to the link up at the top that says commercial trapping license, or something like that. It will take you straight to the application that you need to mail off. It’s free if you are trapping your own land. Coons will go in a Live trap(cage style) most of the time & you can take them elsewhere to dispatch them. Dog proof traps are relatively easy also & what I might use as a backup plan for the ones that get Smart to the box style trap.

buckpasser

Saw a video on computer the other day talking about rabies. A man died in the hospital from a brain tumor and the family allowed the medical staff to harvest some of his organs and transplanted them into several other patients. The man had been bitten by a bat a few days prior to his death and he had contracted rabies. The medical staff was unaware of this, and, evidently a test for rabies is not done prior to any transplanted organs.

Long story short, all of the patients that got an organ from the man with the rabies, died. Doctors could not figure out what was wrong as the patients slowly passed away one after another. Finally rabies was detected. Sad story but true.

I live on a small farm with several barn cats. I also have 2 deer feeders to attract deer, but I don't deer hunt. Just like to watch them and watch them as they mature is size, it they don't get shot. Around my deer feeders I have a problem with coons eating my corn. They will also come onto my back porch and eat my cat food if I do not take it up at night. The video said that about 30% of all coons have rabies. I have 6 grandchildren that are at my house quite often, so I think you can see my concern about my coon population. Thinking about trapping them. Have looked at the dog proof coon traps. I have never done any trapping in my life. Have watched a few you tube videos on these traps and they seem simple enough.

First, do I need a trapping license to trap coons on my own land. Is there a trapping season and if so, what are the dates. I live in middle Ga.
Also, can someone out there that has had experience with these traps school me on what you know.
What brand name traps would you recommend. Certainly do not want one that a dog or cat could get into.

Thank you very much

I like the ones that push/pull to fire vs just pull. Z trap is the brand I rely on. Obviously I’d go with cat food in your scenario. There are some good exemptions for your situation. I’m pretty sure you can nuisance trap in your yard year round legally (not just furbearer season). Someone correct me if I’m wrong. YouTube is your friend in educating yourself. I pride myself on being at least a decent trapper and learned 90% of what I knew getting started right here and on YouTube. There are at least a dozen of us happy to answer any question you might have. Good luck and good idea!

canine933

Please read up on what constitutes nuisance trapping. What you are describing is not what is described by my nuisance license. That is if you want to trap outside of the season.

As a professional resolving issues like your's I can positively say that you do not have a raccoon problem.
You have a people problem. Namely the person who puts out food for wildlife then complains about wildlife eating that food.

You are far more at risk from those free ranging cats. The #1 rabies vector in the US is the domestic cat. Look it up.
Not to mention the irresponsibility of allowing cats to face predation or risk of disease by allowing them to interact with wildlife. Cats are coyote chow. Further cats are responsible for the deaths of billions of songbirds, small mammals and reptiles annually. They are implicated in the extinction of over a dozen species worldwide. IMO, but free ranging cats is animal cruelty.

Remove the field of dreams you have built for them to come to and the problem will go away.

To answer your question. Yes, all persons setting traps in Georgia are required to obtain a license. Landowners may obtain a free 30 day license to resolve nuisance wildlife issues. You must abide by all standard trapping regulations including tagging traps with your trappers ID#. All RVS, rabies vector species, must be euthanized. Relocation is not allowed. You must carry a catch pole and 22lr when checking traps. Only animals caught during the regulated trapping season may be harvested for their fur and the fur sold to a licensed fur dealer.

And there's no such thing as dog proof as anything can happen with a set trap. The dog proof trap designs are more resistant to catching non targets due to their unique design but never say never when it comes to animals.