Is it legal to trap squirrels?

I'm having a bad time with squirrels on my feeder. I'd like to conibear them, but I cannot find anything for certain about trapping them.
that doesn't say for sure but refers to this site: gohuntgeorgia.com ... which eventually leads here: https://georgiawildlife.com/regulations/trapping
My guess is its legal during regular squirrel season, but I'm particular about finding actual wording that spells it out legally.

Can someone point to an authoritative source about squirrel trapping please?

Also, I cannot find a way to search the forum. Am I missing it, or did they think that was no longer useful?

GeorgiaBob

I suspect - but you really need a real Georgia game official to answer this - I suspect that if you trap them and release them in the same general area (but away from your home) that you would avoid running afoul of most trapping regulations BUT there is probably some regs on how and where the tree rats can be released.

@Killmaster on here, or your local game warden, can probably steer you towards a safe and legal method.

sportsman94

I’m not an expert, but I believe you cannot legally trap squirrels in GA unless you have a nuisance control permit. General trapping is only for animals listed as furbearers or those animals listed as non game species (coyotes, beavers, armadillos, etc).

IMG_8333.png

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
No
It is not legal to trap squirrels in Georgia as there is no legal trapping season for squirrels just like there is no legal season to trap deer or turkeys.

It is legal for a licensed nuisance wildlife trapper to trap them under permit when they are damaging property like houses etc because they can cause serious damage to a house.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Conibears are really too big for squirrels, honestly. Those big wharf rat traps that look like giant mouse traps would be a better choice for illegal squirrel trapping, anyway. :bounce:

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
How are they getting to the feeders.
A mixture of cayenne pepper and vaseline will learn them not to climb a pole or slide down a wire.
Entertaining for a minute, too.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Is it legal to trap rats in Georgia? They are not listed among the fur bearing animals that may be trapped and the regs seem to say that only listed fur bearing animals may be trapped in Georgia.

If they may be trapped what should be done with the squirrels that trespass their way into the rat traps? If they must be released is there any regulation as to where and how they must be released?

ryanh487

It is 100% legal to trap rats. If you happen to accidentally catch squirrels and chipmunks more often than rats In a snap trap it is what it is.

Waddams

My uncle swore by a product called Tanglefoot. It was a non-hardening gel that came in a tube he'd squeeze along the edges of surfaces he wanted them to stay off. I've never used it, though. Have thought about trying it to keep the squirrels off my wife's bird feeders.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I have heard that a squirrelinator trap that can be purchased from the internet works great with black oil sunflower seeds in stated that it's legal to trap squirrels. But they'll die real quick when it's this hot.

Latest posts