5.56 Defensive Loads

Mars

For folks who choose an AR15 for home defense, what's your preferred load?

I've had 64gr Speer Gold Dot loaded up in my home defense rifle. I recently found some 77gr OTM for a good price. Supposedly it does a great job on bipedal aggressors.

trial&error

Really depends on how close your neighbors are really. I would probably stick with hunting expanding rounds if your talking inside. If you are defending the castle and firing long range from the parapets. Whatever is shooting good for you.

Liberty

Varmint rounds like V-Max where there are things around close that you don’t want to accidentally shoot.

Tight Lines

I don't think it matters much with that round...I use the Hornady in the bedroom bullpup. But my mags are all loaded with standard M193. I have enough rounds in mags that the marginal difference in the projectile is nominal. My ARs are 1:7 twist and consume 50 grain V-Max up to 62 grain green tips just fine...

But I won't stop shooting until they ain't moving...

1695691862923.png

Jester896

Senior Clown
64s should work OK but I would verify it. 68-75 would work pretty good the 77s should be fine.

I shot some 75gr machine loads my buddy makes for the hog hunters around here in my new 1:7 last week. I was surprised they were just a touch over 1MOA @ 100 on the new barrel.

It will not shoot 55s well at all and might have a small issue with 62s...the groups may open up

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
You do you, but for an in home long gun I choose the ones that say 12ga on the bottom and contain a 2oz payload. I think its the fastest surest tool to instantly stop a threat at 75' or less.
2 oz is a lot of recoil for follow up shots should the first one not do it or multiple intruders and I like shotguns most.

Mars

64s should work OK but I would verify it. 68-75 would work pretty good the 77s should be fine.

I shot some 75gr machine loads my buddy makes for the hog hunters around here in my new 1:7 last week. I was surprised they were just a touch over 1MOA @ 100 on the new barrel.

It will not shoot 55s well at all and might have a small issue with 62s...the groups may open up
I've been using the 64s for awhile and I get about 1.25in - 1.5in groups at 100 with them out of a 16in AR. I haven't had a chance to see how the 77s group.

I will shoot 55s and 62s for practice within 50yds and it does fine for thar. I don't remember shooting for groups with them any farther out than that

Jester896

Senior Clown
I've been using the 64s for awhile and I get about 1.25in - 1.5in groups at 100 with them out of a 16in AR. I haven't had a chance to see how the 77s group.

I will shoot 55s and 62s for practice within 50yds and it does fine for thar. I don't remember shooting for groups with them any farther out than that
try them just a little farther out...125-130 and see if they open up a good bit. When you over rotate a bullet is cause the nose to lift slightly. They may all shot to 100 but you might want to know what happens after that. Might be hard to hit a target at 200 if it is a 6" group :D.

some of y'all have never fired a weapon indoors and it shows:cool:

tr21

I don't think it matters much with that round...I use the Hornady in the bedroom bullpup. But my mags are all loaded with standard M193. I have enough rounds in mags that the marginal difference in the projectile is nominal. My ARs are 1:7 twist and consume 50 grain V-Max up to 62 grain green tips just fine...

But I won't stop shooting until they ain't moving...

View attachment 1256671
yep if he's in the house or threatening me to where I have to pull the trigger I ain't stopping until it's empty. when they ask why I didn't stop after 3 or 4 shots, because he was still twitchin' ! I don't think bullet type is going to be much of a factor when they have 30 holes in them.

SC Hunter

some of y'all have never fired a weapon indoors and it shows:cool:
I'm glad somebody said it. Also alot of people here haven't ever seen somebody shot with any variety of weapons. I want quick, quiet so I can hear and I don't want it to exit their thoracic cavity when it hits them.

Let me find a short suppressed 300 blackout shooting big fat subs.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i have seen a pistol round go through metal front doors and asbestos siding...come through the inside wall....go into the wall across the room and into the wall....come out of the other side through the cabinets and into the wall on the opposing side of that room

I can't imagine what a rifle will do and how many houses it will go through after that....I think it might be safe to say if it is loud outside it will be 10 times louder inside...no science there...just a WAG

Tight Lines

I can't speak for others but my go to home defense isn't the AR. It's (1) Beretta 92A1 with (3) magazines of Hornady Critical Defense. Next up is a (2) Keltec 12 gauge bullpup with 8 rounds of 00 buckshot. If I still need more firepower and I'm under siege :) then it's (3) Tavor X95 with (4) mags of Hornady CX. From my vantage point in my house I am at an elevated position firing downward toward hard wood floors. That's after passing through the perp. All three have lasers, AR has a red dot, 92A1 has a Surefire light. I have noise cancelling ear buds.

lampern

Pistol rounds don’t break up like rifle rounds

Which can make them more of a hazard despite their lower velocities

5.56 would actually be safer than 9mm Luger

All guns are very loud inside a room with out a suppressor