Graphic of the Day

Tight Lines

Yes, he will decline and in fact, it may have already begun. But to hear a lot of Dawgs fans talk, he's ready for the trash heap. UGA will have Bama to contend with for the foreseeable future. Saban ain't dead yet.
Saban is just 71?, still very coherent and one heck of a recruiter...as long as he has the GOAT label and Bama stays competitive recruiting, he isn't even close to done. He isn't going to self-destruct like some coaches have...his health may not hold up, and that aside, he will be an annual challenge for the Dawgs.

Beehaw

There are too many responses to quote each one so let me provide a mass response:

I am not a Bama or UGA fan, I am an Auburn fan, so I am equally disinterested in both teams. I am in awe of what Saban has done in the last ten years, even though I think it has accelerated the destruction of college football (a whole nother thread) and I think Kirby Smart has built a machine that would/should/could be the next "deathstar" that t-town has been for a decade. NIL and portal may derail that.

Nonetheless, my opinion (and that is all we each really have) is that Stetson Bennett has been a tremendous game manager, like so many Bama QB's (that all have a ring to kiss) of the last decade. Somewhere along the way, it seems to have become a bad thing for the QB to be the field general managing the talent on the field. Until he blisters the NFL, like Jalen Hurts, I will think SB was a great college football player, and nothing more. If he fails at the next level, he will still be a UGA legend, and rightfully so.

In the same vein of this discussion, it dawned on me that once Bama got a "sure thing, superstar QB" they cant get it across the championship line. Once UGA got a game manager, they can't seem to lose.

Flame away.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
My Meaders cousin bashing me.:(
NOt bashing just stating the facts.....
I expect you to be pro Georgia. Just never experienced the bashing before I got here. Don't know about other state forums. Other than a Pa. hunting site this is the only one I'm on.

I see it going on everywhere. Go get on Florida’s 247 football site. Go to Roll Bama Roll. Go to a Tennessee site. They all do the exact same thing. Ohio State fans were leading up to the Georgia game. I honestly am surprised people think truly think this behavior is unique to Georgia fans.

Lol...... what you see around here is child's play. Go to some of the forums like Brad mentions above. This place is tame and UGA fans are mild compared to some of the others out there. Each fanbase has idiots UGA included, want more proof? Turn on ole Pawl Finebaum and give it a listen.

Duff

There are too many responses to quote each one so let me provide a mass response:

I am not a Bama or UGA fan, I am an Auburn fan, so I am equally disinterested in both teams. I am in awe of what Saban has done in the last ten years, even though I think it has accelerated the destruction of college football (a whole nother thread) and I think Kirby Smart has built a machine that would/should/could be the next "deathstar" that t-town has been for a decade. NIL and portal may derail that.

Nonetheless, my opinion (and that is all we each really have) is that Stetson Bennett has been a tremendous game manager, like so many Bama QB's (that all have a ring to kiss) of the last decade. Somewhere along the way, it seems to have become a bad thing for the QB to be the field general managing the talent on the field. Until he blisters the NFL, like Jalen Hurts, I will think SB was a great college football player, and nothing more. If he fails at the next level, he will still be a UGA legend, and rightfully so.

In the same vein of this discussion, it dawned on me that once Bama got a "sure thing, superstar QB" they cant get it across the championship line. Once UGA got a game manager, they can't seem to lose.

Flame away.
Game manager, to a lot of people, means an okay QB, in a run first offense, that doesn’t make bad throws in the few opportunities he has to throw—usually because he’s not the best player on the field and not trusted to carry the offense. Of course, that is not/ wasn’t the case with Bennett. How would you describe a game managing QB?

Also, I agree about Hurts. Oklahoma has a history of producing great QB’s :bounce:

Resica

NOt bashing just stating the facts.....

Lol...... what you see around here is child's play. Go to some of the forums like Brad mentions above. This place is tame and UGA fans are mild compared to some of the others out there. Each fanbase has idiots UGA included, want more proof? Turn on ole Pawl Finebaum and give it a listen.
I don't want to.:) I do watch Finebaum on occasion, I see what you mean.

Beehaw

Game manager, to a lot of people, means an okay QB, in a run first offense, that doesn’t make bad throws in the few opportunities he has to throw—usually because he’s not the best player on the field and not trusted to carry the offense. Of course, that is not/ wasn’t the case with Bennett. How would you describe a game managing QB?

Also, I agree about Hurts. Oklahoma has a history of producing great QB’s :bounce:
My opinion is that the QB is guy making all the decisions on the field: trying to match his current strength to the defenses biggest weakness; all of which changes several times on a play. Mahomes is the antithesis of a game manager; he can score a few TD’s on his own.
A good game manager realizes he can’t run like Cam Newton , throw like Burrow and scramble like Mahomes, but he uses the stable full of thoroughbreds that he has to gain an advantage.
The drawback for most game managers is that a LOT of college defenders will be selling insurance next year. EVERY NFL defender was the best athlete his town has ever seen. That’s why so many great college qb’s don’t make it.

RedHills

Self Banned after losing a Noles bet.
Revisionist history here, Weinke was 25 when he entered FSU and 28 when he left, which holds the record for oldest QB.
Btw didn’t know he’s the current GT qb coach, good for him.
Just to add a few more highlites you've missed. Drafted out of highschool and spent 6 years in Toronto's minor league BB system. Returned to use his 4 year eligibility at FSU. Won a Heisman and Natty and about every College QB award there was. Then spent 7 years on an NFL Team roster. Had the dubious distinction to have lost 17 straight games he started (spanning 2 years) But a dang good Nole :)

MudDucker

Staff member
There's been lots of players who brought national championships to their home states and made a career out of it. Some in pro sports, some in media, some in other places. I don't see a problem with playing to your strengths as a player and a person. Herschel Walker, Buck Bellew, Tim Tebow, Charlie Ward, and the list goes on. If Stetson never plays in one pro game, I'll bet he goes on to success in something else.

That's Buck Belue and Charlie Ward wasn't from Florida, he was from Thomasville. More wax on, wax off time young kipper!

MudDucker

Staff member
I have only seen Georgia fans being nasty because its the only one of 2 I look at. Should have known it goes on everywhere but have never looked. I knew no better. I'm not a basher and never have been. Just not my style really.

I've seen and participated in more kindness to fans of other teams that entered our stadium than anywhere else. Even Notre Dame fans commented on how well they were treated. I was tailgating once for the hated UGA v UF rivalry and a UF fan came by disgusted that his group wouldn't let him stop to eat, so I offered and I fed him. I told him that we would wait for kickoff before the hate started and that it would end after the final whistle blew. He said, man my UF buddies would try to poison one of you guys if they offered to feed you.

MudDucker

Staff member

Flame away.

Auburn fan ... knew you were loser from your post. :rofl:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
My issue I suppose. I've always just wanted good games whoever was playing and liked and hated multiple teams. Always hated Miami, Notre Dame, USC and Auburn( cause of dad) mostly. I liked Georgia and Georgia Tech (understand that's a travesty) and when they were competitive against one another, I'd choose who I wanted to win based on where they stood. I understand other folks are completely different with Ga./ Ga. Tech. When Penn State beat Ga. for the national championship I was pulling for Georgia, lived in Pa. then.

If we're talking college football there's gonna be some good old fashioned hate involved. But we can still be friends and laugh about how good we all are at hatin'.

No more "1980". There's a new big Dawg in town so move it on over little dog. :bounce:

GRAPHIC OF THE DAY