Bama's Marcell Dareus under investigation...

irishleprechaun

Easy for you to say, with all due respect, you've not had the offers these guys get routinely...

but I do agree it is each Man's responsibility,...although these kids look like men, they're still teenagers mostly

Many of us get similar offers in our work. Free tickets here, free dinners there...depending on the company it is against the rules and if you are a company supporting a defense contract it is illegal, will land you in jail and cost your company the contract.

I have said no to a full week at Augusta, playing in so many pro-ams I have lost count, etc, etc. These players need to understand the rules of engagement and just say no.

I don't disagree that the agent needs controls put on them as well.

If I get account reps offering me free stuff over and over, I give them a warning then asked them to be removed from my account by their boss. And when a person who has responsibility of $200 million of spend asks for something, we usually get it. Our company plays by the rules, so should everyone else.

LanierSpots

I agree with Lanier on this. These kids have been schooled in the area of agents and what they can and can't do. He knew it was wrong. Dareus was predicted to be a top 11 pick coming out in next years draft. This could potentially hurt his draft status depending on suspension or dismissal from the team. If a kid does not play in what could be his final year, it will hurt his draft status. Does he realize the potential millions he could have just lost with a drop in status?

Not only the fact that his team is already on the border of being penalized by the NCAA for past findings. Do you want to be the one who brings down sanctions on the previous National Champions? He has a responsibility to his team, his college and the fans who support both.

He knows its wrong. Just dont do it..

fairhopebama

just read another article that the University is investigating Dareus and possible other players who may have attended.

RipperIII

You have to be kidding me.. These guys are fully aware that this is

sorry, but you are wrong.
the issue is whether or not "extra benefits" were gained,...i.e. airfare, food, lodging, gifts, cash etc.
There is no violation from attending an "event" at your own expense.

And, again, just for you spots, let me reiterate(see my opening line) "if Darius broke the rules, boot him.

Last edited:

RipperIII

Many of us get similar offers in our work. Free tickets here, free dinners there...depending on the company it is against the rules and if you are a company supporting a defense contract it is illegal, will land you in jail and cost your company the contract.

I have said no to a full week at Augusta, playing in so many pro-ams I have lost count, etc, etc. These players need to understand the rules of engagement and just say no.

I don't disagree that the agent needs controls put on them as well.

If I get account reps offering me free stuff over and over, I give them a warning then asked them to be removed from my account by their boss. And when a person who has responsibility of $200 million of spend asks for something, we usually get it. Our company plays by the rules, so should everyone else.

Myself included....many offers to play Augusta, finish line booth at the derby, weeklong trips to Vegas, USVI, etc.
...But we're Adults, hired for our talent and integrity,...and as good as these offers can be,...it ain't millions of dollars.

RipperIII

I agree with Lanier on this. These kids have been schooled in the area of agents and what they can and can't do. He knew it was wrong. Dareus was predicted to be a top 11 pick coming out in next years draft. This could potentially hurt his draft status depending on suspension or dismissal from the team. If a kid does not play in what could be his final year, it will hurt his draft status. Does he realize the potential millions he could have just lost with a drop in status?

No doubt, this can cost him millions, and I'm quiet sure that he (or any of them) did not realize the downside to these offers.

greene_dawg

No doubt, this can cost him millions, and I'm quiet sure that he (or any of them) did not realize the downside to these offers.

Sure they did man... Sometimes CFB players just aren't disciplined enough to control the power they have at their fingertips. I'd have a hard time believing any football player at Bama wouldn't know the rules about dealing with agents after Antonio Langham's actions made them forfeit the better part of an entire season.

RipperIII

Sure they did man... Sometimes CFB players just aren't disciplined enough to control the power they have at their fingertips. I'd have a hard time believing any football player at Bama wouldn't know the rules about dealing with agents after Antonio Langham's actions made them forfeit the better part of an entire season.

I agree, lack of discipline is a real problem,...however, Langham's issue was much different, he sat down one on one with an agent the night of the NC, no benefits were exchanged, Langham told Coach Stallings who determined(wrongly) that no infraction had occured, and did not report the incident.

Events with scouts and agents occur frequently, that is the gist of Saban's complaint.
The issue here is not whether or not these players were "exposed" to agents, but rather if any "benefits" were exchanged.
It is not against the rules for players to attend parties or events with agents or scouts, it is however against the rules to discuss "future contracts" exchange goods or services of value.

greene_dawg

I agree, lack of discipline is a real problem,...however, Langham's issue was much different, he sat down one on one with an agent the night of the NC, no benefits were exchanged, Langham told Coach Stallings who determined(wrongly) that no infraction had occured, and did not report the incident.

Events with scouts and agents occur frequently, that is the gist of Saban's complaint.
The issue here is not whether or not these players were "exposed" to agents, but rather if any "benefits" were exchanged.
It is not against the rules for players to attend parties or events with agents or scouts, it is however against the rules to discuss "future contracts" exchange goods or services of value.

It is very much against the rules for a player to attend a party that is hosted by an agent. Saban's complaint is about someone making HIS life harder. It wasn't a problem for him to push the rules in recruiting (video telecons in schools, etc) because it benefited HIM at the time. Now the shoes on the other foot and he all up in arms... If Saban was an agent he'd push the limit just like he does in recruiting. Listen, I'm not knocking Bama. These sort of things are the price of success at all schools as unfortunate as they are but if you think that these guys didn't think they were doing wrong then I'm afraid you're just as blinded by loyalty to your team as anyone on this board. ;)

irishleprechaun

Myself included....many offers to play Augusta, finish line booth at the derby, weeklong trips to Vegas, USVI, etc.
...But we're Adults, hired for our talent and integrity,...and as good as these offers can be,...it ain't millions of dollars.

no but I bet they are equal value to a weekend at south beach....they were not offered millions. They will make millions and the agent will do whatever to try and get a lock on that commission. Just like you and I spend millions and that account rep wants a part of our spend. It is EXACTLY the same.

LanierSpots

It is very much against the rules for a player to attend a party that is hosted by an agent. Saban's complaint is about someone making HIS life harder. It wasn't a problem for him to push the rules in recruiting (video telecons in schools, etc) because it benefited HIM at the time. Now the shoes on the other foot and he all up in arms... If Saban was an agent he'd push the limit just like he does in recruiting. Listen, I'm not knocking Bama. These sort of things are the price of success at all schools as unfortunate as they are but if you think that these guys didn't think they were doing wrong then I'm afraid you're just as blinded by loyalty to your team as anyone on this board. ;)

You might as well be smoking 10 packs a day. You would be wasting your breath less.

He knew it was wrong. Pouncy knew it was wrong. Bush knew it was wrong. There is not difference. Doesn't matter what team he plays for.

These guys are not kids. They are adults. They have to be held accountable for themselves. Dont put yourself in this kind of situation. They should be afraid to take a ink pen from any agent until it is time too...

RipperIII

Sorry again greene,...but if that were the case, then why the investigation?....they guys were either there, or not there, pretty cut and dried according to what you say.

RipperIII

You might as well be smoking 10 packs a day. You would be wasting your breath less.

He knew it was wrong. Pouncy knew it was wrong. Bush knew it was wrong. There is not difference. Doesn't matter what team he plays for.

These guys are not kids. They are adults. They have to be held accountable for themselves. Dont put yourself in this kind of situation. They should be afraid to take a ink pen from any agent until it is time too...

...and your opinion changes?:bounce:
if it were as greene states, then why the investigation?
the guys were either there or not there, cut and dry.
The issue of an Agent "hosting" an event is to be determined no doubt, like I said..."benefits".

and for the third time, I know it is difficult for you guys to understand my immense vocabulary,...but as I clearly stated "if Darius broke the rules, boot him"

I didn't post anything at all when the news on Pouncy and the NC players broke, because I know just how confusing the interpretation of the NCAA rules are, so you guys go on and cast your stones.

MudDucker

Staff member
Make it illegal for the agents to contact the players. Throw them in jail if they are caught associating with any player.

Come on ... really? That is a nuts suggestion! This kind of thinking is why there is NO personal responsibility felt by our youth.

greene_dawg

Sorry again greene,...but if that were the case, then why the investigation?....they guys were either there, or not there, pretty cut and dried according to what you say.

Because we're supposed to have this thing in this country called "innocent until proven guilty"... Not to mention the word on the street is that that there are more names to come out.

Come on ... really? That is a nuts suggestion! This kind of thinking is why there is NO personal responsibility felt by our youth.

IMO, it is very easy to sit back and judge the actions of an immature kid. Has anyone on this board had $100,000 offered to them when they had no money? Easy to judge when, as a fan, you are in a vacuum. Hard to know your actions when the cash is staring you in the face.

irishleprechaun

Have any of you been through an NCAA sports program orientation at a university? For those of us who have let me tell you that the ones I participated in were very clear and very repetative on the things that are unacceptable (like taking gifts of any type). Whether it is cash (pouncy) or travel/lodging/meals (these others) it is drummed into the head of these student athletes constantly.

The agent was probably playing to them as this is a "gray area" issue. Or he suckered one or two kids and the rest were along for the ride and didn't know the source of the gift.

So there is a lot of speculation here and not much fact, the NCAA will get to the facts and render a decision.

Bottom line, when you are a student athlete and some is offering free weekend, including airfare, hotel, drinks whatever....you better be asking "who is paying for this" chances are it will be a violation. Cash is a no brainer but there are a lot of gifts other than cash.

If these guys were all playing the game thinking that for the right deal they would jump to the NFL, well they may just get their wish...only not on the terms any of them expect.

BlackSmoke

Have any of you been through an NCAA sports program orientation at a university? For those of us who have let me tell you that the ones I participated in were very clear and very repetative on the things that are unacceptable (like taking gifts of any type). Whether it is cash (pouncy) or travel/lodging/meals (these others) it is drummed into the head of these student athletes constantly.

The agent was probably playing to them as this is a "gray area" issue. Or he suckered one or two kids and the rest were along for the ride and didn't know the source of the gift.

So there is a lot of speculation here and not much fact, the NCAA will get to the facts and render a decision.

Bottom line, when you are a student athlete and some is offering free weekend, including airfare, hotel, drinks whatever....you better be asking "who is paying for this" chances are it will be a violation. Cash is a no brainer but there are a lot of gifts other than cash.

If these guys were all playing the game thinking that for the right deal they would jump to the NFL, well they may just get their wish...only not on the terms any of them expect.

Yes Lep, I have. And let me say that on the 1st day I set foot on campus, we were given a class on a few things. One, was to never under any circumstances speak to an agent. Never accept any kind of special treatments. Never let anyone give you a single thing.Two, was certain etiquette to use when speaking to the media. Three, was about how to represent your university and team.

I agree with you that it is VERY cut and dry for these kids. They know what is right and wrong. That's not what I am saying in the least bit. But what happens to these agents that cause all this trouble? Nothing. They can tempt these kids all they want, while looking to reach personal gain in the future.

It is the player's fault for accepting anything from these agents. 100%. But get rid of these agents and the temptation will be greatly reduced. Yes, there will still be boosters and what not that try to throw money or something at a kid. But get the agents out of college football. Period.

BlackSmoke

See my above reply to Lep.

How is that such a nuts suggestion? So the kids should be penalized, but not the agents? That, sir, is the kind of thinking as to why there is no personal responsibility felt by anyone. Not just youth.

So you're saying an agent should be able to try and contact these kids? Offer them cars, money, women, clothes, etc, etc, etc? Then if a kid does the right thing and rejects him, he can just move along to the next kid in line and start swooning him? But when a kid does the wrong thing and accepts an offer, it the kid's career that gets blemished, and yet nothing happens to the agent?

That is a nuts suggestion Mud. Absolutely ridiculous. Punish BOTH sides involved, not just one.