How much you gonna pay for that recruit?

GTMODawg

BANNED
Won't the NCAA be surprised when CFB collapses under its' own weight?

They ought not be since they caused it but no doubt they will be. Had they not made the decision that the labor of young men, many of them black, was a good way to fund women's gymnastics and meet title ix requirements we would not be here. They should have been employees of the university for the last 80 years but it was far better to keep them in limbo and exploit their labor for other purposes. What is amazing is it has lasted as long as it has....no other industry has been able to maintain such a system without some serious muscle from the state but college athletics did it for a long time with nothing more than the sham that has always been the NCAA.

GTMODawg

BANNED
That needs to get fixed and I believe it will sooner rather then later. Now that players are not looked at as student athletes and are being paid, the schools will have contracts that outline that very issue. My thought is the ncaa will try and stay out of that issue if they can since the Supreme Court has already slapped them once.
That's how I see it anyway.

The ONLY way anything of this nature would work is if ALL programs agreed to abide by it. Outside of an actual or de-facto anti-trust exemption it would be illegal to do so.

School A can do anything they choose but they will be at a competitive disadvantage because school B can also do anything it wants. It works in pro sports because they either have an actual or a de-facto anti trust exemption which is, for all intents and purposes, almost an anti trust exemption. It works in pro sports because there are limited companies and those companies are limited in who can make decisions. It will not work in a mix of state institutions and private ones where you have 150+ companies who all have hundreds if not hundreds of thousands of people capable of making decisions. UGA can't agree with Alabama to prevent me from paying a recruit to sell cars for me. They can agree in principal but Texas might come along with another car dealer more than willing to pay that recruit to go to Texas.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Alums and fans aren't going to jump ship in noticeable numbers for the foreseeable future.

The problem will be institutional control of rich young athletes.

BTW, only with regard to what the school pays them (their allowance) could they be considered employees of the school. NIL money is paid by another source and while related to their performance, isn't for their performance. Some of these guys aren't going to like their tax bills.

I would imagine the schools have fought hard to keep the student athlete with a stipend as something other than an employee because having an employee means a heaping pile of legal responsibilities which are not conducive to athletic performance. Cumulative stress injuries alone would mean every athlete would have a legitimate case for a sizeable workers comp claim for the rest of their lives. If they weren't carried on the schools liability for WC at the time of their "employment" the athlete could litigate outside of the bounds of WC which limits an employees liability BY law. The schools want no part of none of that foolishness.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Won't happen. It would conflict with the contracts already signed to get paid. See Ewers. Contract said he starts this year so his NIL is worth something to the buyer. Day sez "No" apparently and off to UT he goes apparently for guaranteed starter role.

NIL is worthless without playing time and any coach worth their paycheck ain't gonna GUARANTEE any player that.

I disagree. Any coach would indeed a recruit playing time. Smart ones will have a gang of lawyers who will make certain the contract says otherwise and the high school kids lawyer pay check will be based on the value of the contract, not the amount of money the kid will actually receive. There will be no incentive outside of doing the right thing for a lawyer to reject such promises from a coach and most kids and their families will be completely out of their league when dealing with such people. Relying on lawyers to do the right thing is a fools game....knowing they will do anything for a dollar is a great tool to get what you want but thinking they will do the right thing is an admission of a level of naivety not many people realize they suffer from, let alone will admit.

GTMODawg

BANNED
How many millionaires at 21 years old are going to have the work ethic needed to make it in the NFL? They will be wealthy already....that's going to be interesting to watch.

ddgarcia

Mr Non-Libertaw Got To Be Done My Way
They ought not be since they caused it but no doubt they will be. Had they not made the decision that the labor of young men, many of them black, was a good way to fund women's gymnastics and meet title ix requirements we would not be here. They should have been employees of the university for the last 80 years but it was far better to keep them in limbo and exploit their labor for other purposes. What is amazing is it has lasted as long as it has....no other industry has been able to maintain such a system without some serious muscle from the state but college athletics did it for a long time with nothing more than the sham that has always been the NCAA.
I'm so sick of this liberal, left wing talking point. No one EXPLOITED these players and if they did they no one to blame but THEMSELVES for allowing it.

I would have killed to have to have been offered a full ride scholly to play a game I love with a chance at an NFL paycheck. If these/those players failed to take advantage of what was given(paid) them in exchange for aging that same game, that is THEIR problem and no one else's. These kids and their families already had an opportunity that many kids and their families would kill for and TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF but will never get because they aren't skilled/built/athletic enough to excel at a game. But as has been the case for many years now, it's NEVER ENOUGH. GIMMEE, GIMMEE, GIMMEE!!!!!!!! I'm ENTITLED!!!!!!! I want MORE!!!!!!!
If you don't like what's offered, QUIT!!!!!!!!! Contrary to that same liberal, left wing talking point, they ARE NOT and NEVER HAVE BEEN slaves. They were always welcome,and still are, to walk away at any time they choose. No one can stop them, let alone kill them, for leaving the "plantation" that is a college campus or refusing to "work" playing a game.