Mets trying to buy a World Series

Shadow11

They want 3 or 4 seasoned super stars to attract fans it sounds like. Unfortunately, teams today are too lazy to coach up some of younger, and less popular great players that are out there. This is why i love snit and braves staff. They seek out the unpopular talent, coach em up a little, and the next thing you know you have a whole team of superstars.

DannyW

Well, the $350 million dollar experiment is over. At least for this season. On Thursday, the Mets traded their closer, David Robertson, to Miami. Then yesterday they signaled a full-out white flag waving retreat by dumping Max Scherzer on the Texas Rangers while eating $35 million of his remaining $58 million owed for the rest of this season and next.

For the record, his 20 wins over the last two seasons cost the Mets roughly $5 million per win.

Several other Mets are also rumored to be available.

And get this, Steve Cohen is apparently not done shopping online at MLBsuperstarsforsale.com. He reportedly has said he is all in for next season too. I take this to mean he is full speed ahead and dang the torpedoes on winning the Shohei Ohtani sweepstakes.

Reminds me of a famous saying from the legendary Gomer Pyle...fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

ddavis1120

Heard on the Braves postgame show that the Mets shipped a half dozen minor leaguers to KC just in case they were needed. Apparently most of the Mets were available for trade.

DannyW

The Mets finally tally at the MLB level, and their 2023 salary:

1. Scherzer - SP ($43.6 million)
2. Velander - SP ($43.6 million)
3. Robertson - Closer ($10.0 million)
4. Canha - Outfielder ($10.5 million)
5, Dominic Leone - Reliever ($750k)
6. Tommy Pham - Outfielder ($5.0 million)

Mets fans must be disgusted.

biggdogg

The Mets finally tally at the MLB level, and their 2023 salary:

1. Scherzer - SP ($43.6 million)
2. Velander - SP ($43.6 million)
3. Robertson - Closer ($10.0 million)
4. Canha - Outfielder ($10.5 million)
5, Dominic Leone - Reliever ($750k)
6. Tommy Pham - Outfielder ($5.0 million)

Mets fans must be disgusted.

And of those listed, the Mets are still paying $35mil of Sherzers and $53mil of Verlanders remaining salary. CohEn told Sherzer that the Mets will be rebuilding for a 2025 run.

All that money still goes against the Mets tax threshold. How not to run a baseball organization 101...

Last edited:

DannyW

And of those listed, the Mets are still paying $35mil of Sherzers and $53mil of Verlanders remaining salary. CohEn told Sherzer that the Mets will be rebuilding for a 2025 run.

All that money still goes against the Mets tax threshold. How not to run a baseball organization 101...

Yes, and I know Cohen had the best of intentions getting so involved with the Mets, but he is not a GM.

He's is a lot like Ted Turner. Turner got caught up in the day-to-day club business, all the promotions, the marketing, heck he even coached one game. Yet all they did was lose. Finally, about 1990 he hired John Scherholtz and handed him the keys. The rest is history.

That is what Cohen needs to do. Find himself a John Scherholtz, hand him a book of blank checks, and say call me if you need me. Then walk away and be an owner.