Braves 2023 Season Thread

BornToHuntAndFish

Yep, Braves mgmt busting some moves before Nov 17 8pm deadline (for all clubs to decide which of their arbitration-eligible players would be tendered a contract).

Braves send Wright to Royals for reliever Kowar

Nick Anderson also traded to Kansas City in exchange for cash considerations

November 17th, 2023

Braves created some surprise on Friday night, when they traded Wright to the Royals in exchange for right-handed reliever Jackson Kowar. This move was announced around 8 p.m. ET, which was the deadline for all clubs to decide which of their arbitration-eligible players would be tendered a contract

Injuries & Moves: RHP Anderson traded for cash considerations

November 17th, 2023

Nov. 17: RHP Nick Anderson traded for cash considerations

Nov. 17: Braves non-tender seven players

Braves did not tender contracts to left-hander Kolby Allard, right-hander Yonny Chirinos, right-hander Penn Murfee, left-hander Angel Perdomo, right-hander Michael Tonkin, catcher Chadwick Tromp and infielder Luke Williams
Braves now have 30 players on their 40-man roster.

biggdogg

Freeing up money and roster space. Snit was quoted as saying no free agent is off the table. While I don't see them making a run at Otahni, I can definitely see two of the big three (Montgomery, Nola and Gray) in a Braves uni.

DannyW

Yep, something is up. I'm curious about his plan?

I could see AA making at least a pitch to Ohtani, but with a different tactic.

Ohtani wants to experience post season baseball. Percentage wise, no team has better odds than the Braves next season. Or three. Pitch him a 3-year offer for $120 million. Overpay him to pinch hit next season, and the Braves assume the risk that he can come back to pitching in years 2 and 3.

Ohtani gets to play post-season ball for the next 3-years. Then at age 32 he can go free agent again and get the $400-500 million rest-of-career contract.

I know 3 years and $120 million is a lot for a player who may never pitch effectively again. But this is Babe Fricking Ruth. He will make the Braves more than $120 million.

It's a long shot but I think a short contract is the only way to get him. He is NOT going to commit the rest of his career to a team on the east coast.

But the reality is he is most likely going to a west coast team, I think he will choose SF-LAD-Seattle-SD in that order.

Like @Duff said...in AA I trust.

Duff

Heard he was intrigued by the Braves. I wouldn’t be disappointed if they signed him to that contract ^^^
I don’t want to sign him long term though. Don’t think AA would do it anyway.

Evidently the Braves have quietly been busy. They signed hard throwing Rey Lopez to a 3 year $30 mill contract. Great for the bullpen. Picked up Morton’s option for next season. But did not pick up Rosario, Yates or McHugh’s options.

Hope they sign Gray and lock in Fried. Wouldn’t mind a left fielder too :bounce:

Duff

Very quiet on that front, it's been all about pitchers so far.

Did anyone else notice that Rosario was in the top 3 finalists for a Gold Glove in LF last season?
I did. That blew me away. I think of him as the opposite of a gold glove candidate

DannyW

I did. That blew me away. I think of him as the opposite of a gold glove candidate
Gold gloves are awarded based on a set of metrics, don't ask me which ones, defensive stats are all confusing, AND player voting. So there is sort of an eye-test involved, not just stats.

And apparently the players saw things much differently than me.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Braves swing and miss on acquiring Nola. Reported the offer was 6 yr/ 162MM..

Makes me feel good knowing the Braves might finally spend some money on a player or three

DannyW

Lot's of rumors swirling around concerning the Braves. Sonny Gray, Josh Hader and that kid from Japan.

After two early exits from the playoffs, AA obviously feels the need to do a minor reset on the Braves roster construction, especially the pitching staff. The Braves are so profitable right now, he is getting the green light to spend.

Just kinda feels like he has a big surprise for the team and fans, don't it?

Duff

Gray signed with the Cards. Wonder what AA has in store???

Duff

Glad we got a young leftfielder in Kelenic. Hope he pans out and has a breakout year.

Kind of scratching my head with the Sale trade and signing. Now, he was stupid good in his prime. But has pitched very little in the last 3-4 years because of injuries. Just seems like AA overpaid with the trade and extension, for a soon to be 35 yr old injury prone player.
He also has some fits in the dugouts and locker rooms after bad outings. Seen interviews where he was a jerk. Don't know, just seems like a odd fit for the Braves clubhouse.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Glad we got a young leftfielder in Kelenic. Hope he pans out and has a breakout year.

Kind of scratching my head with the Sale trade and signing. Now, he was stupid good in his prime. But has pitched very little in the last 3-4 years because of injuries. Just seems like AA overpaid with the trade and extension, for a soon to be 35 yr old injury prone player.
He also has some fits in the dugouts and locker rooms after bad outings. Seen interviews where he was a jerk. Don't know, just seems like a odd fit for the Braves clubhouse.
I think AA's success with the Charlie Morton acquisition might have influenced this trade.

BornToHuntAndFish

How 'bout them Braves starting Spring Training 2024 with pitchers & catchers expect to report this week or today & full squad next week. Need the team to go much further into the playoffs this year.

Reckon it will be lots tougher going against the Dodgers this season with the $700-Million 10-year man Shohei Ohtani added to their roster.

Spring FAQ: Braves heading south

Braves pitchers and catchers will report to camp by Wednesday and then stage their first official workout the following day.
Braves hold their first full-squad workout on Feb. 20

Duff

Should be a fun year. I've given up on signing Fried. I believe if they were going to sign him, AA would have already pulled the trigger. If he has a good year, he will demand big $$. But what do I know.

Starting lineup is loaded as is the bullpen. Quality depth seems like a concern but maybe they can stay healthy.