Braves 2023 Season Thread

HermanMerman

I wonder what it would take to get Trevor Bauer in a Braves uniform? Probably not as much as you think.

DannyW

Acuna NL POY
Blake Snell(14-9) got NL POY over Strider(20-5) - don't get it?

Snell had an ERA of 2.25 vs Strider's 3.86 over a similar number of innings pitched. I can't argue with the choice.

Acuna will probably win NL MVP but Mookie will be a close second. Missing all those games late in the season really hurt Mookie.

Strider will be in Top 3 of NL Cy Young, but not win it. He had a very uneven season, mostly great but he had a few real stinkers where he was shelled early and often. He will be in the conversation next year though, and likely for years to come.

BassRaider

Yeah but, Strider had more wins (20 - 14), less losses (5 - 9), strikeouts (281 - 234), less walks (58 - 99), innings (186 - 180), quality games (18 - 20), era (3.86 - 2.25).
Snell had him on several stats but 14 wins - nobody wins with only 14 wins!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Snell had an ERA of 2.25 vs Strider's 3.86 over a similar number of innings pitched. I can't argue with the choice.

Acuna will probably win NL MVP but Mookie will be a close second. Missing all those games late in the season really hurt Mookie.

Strider will be in Top 3 of NL Cy Young, but not win it. He had a very uneven season, mostly great but he had a few real stinkers where he was shelled early and often. He will be in the conversation next year though, and likely for years to come.
Bringing some life back to this thread. I'm absolutely shocked Strider didn't even make the top 3. I think it is a huge blunder given his stats.

Second, losing Wash and Young to the Angels hurts. They both deserve it, but it still stings.

DannyW

Bringing some life back to this thread. I'm absolutely shocked Strider didn't even make the top 3. I think it is a huge blunder given his stats.

Second, losing Wash and Young to the Angels hurts. They both deserve it, but it still stings.
Losing Washington is a gut punch. He was a player favorite and maybe the Brave's most valuable coach not named Snitker.

Duff

Surprised Wash got a managers job at his age. He certainly deserves it, just surprised someone gave him a chance. Hate hate hate losing him.

His fielding work is world renowned and he is some more aggressive as a 3rd base coach. Didn’t realize Young went too. Double blow.

DannyW

Surprised Wash got a managers job at his age. He certainly deserves it, just surprised someone gave him a chance. Hate hate hate losing him.

His fielding work is world renowned and he is some more aggressive as a 3rd base coach. Didn’t realize Young went too. Double blow.
This surprised me on a number of levels. That he got an opportunity at his age (he will be 72 next April). That he is willing to uproot his family and make the coast-to-coast move. That he is willing to join an organization that hasn't had a winning record since 2015 and has been known to make some bone-headed moves (Rendon and Trout contracts and choosing to NOT restock their system by holding onto Ohtani at the end of last year.)

But maybe most of all, why leave a relatively pressure free, on-the-field coaching position with one of top organizations in MLB to jump back into the fire with all the tension and pressure of being a head coach for a losing organization?

That being said...it's his decision to make and I wish him the best. I will be rooting for him to succeed and hope the Braves match up with them next October in the WS.

A good man and a favorite coach...thanks for the years in Atlanta, Ron Washington!

ssramage

"The Braves acquired reliever Aaron Bummer from the White Sox in a late-night trade announced late Thursday night.

As part of the deal, the White Sox received five players in return, including pitchers Mike Soroka and Jared Shuster, infielders Nicky Lopez and Braden Shewmake and minor leagu pitcher Riley Gowens."

Not sure I get this one but in AA we have faith... my guess is AA is shedding players for a big, blockbuster type deal. We're now at 37 players out of the 40 player roster.

Bummer's first few seasons in the MLB were pretty good but this past season was not good. 6.79 ERA and went 5-5. We gave up 3 of our former first round picks.

I was always pulling for Soroka to return to full form but it just doesn't look like it's going to happen.

BornToHuntAndFish

Hope it was worth it in the most recent trade late last night.

Braves send Soroka, 4 others to White Sox for Bummer

1:00 AM EST

Duff

Unloading a group that was not going to make the roster next season. Feel for Soroka. Wish he could have gotten back to where he once was with the Braves. Hope he does with the White Sox

JonathanG2013

With this move it frees up cap space and room on the 40 man roster. Hope AA is working on bringing some really good pieces to the 2024 team.

Shadow11

Hate to see wash go. He had a lot of rci's(runs coached in) over there at 3rd. Young was good too. We've gotta get some more consistent pitching. Hopefully they'll get it figured out. I would have told manfred to shove the 25 all star game up his nose.

Go braves

DannyW

I would have told manfred to shove the 25 all star game up his nose.
LOL...I had the same thoughts. Can you decline hosting the all-star game? Who would make that decision...the Braves?

If so, I wish they would. I would love to see the veins bulging in Manfred's forehead!