Bama's Marcell Dareus under investigation...

huntindawg

I have a third party solution to all of this....all it takes is some investor's w/ some large capital and some cahones.

I'll set up a financial institution (we'll call it AWUP--Ain't Waiting Until I'm Pro). I'll find insurance agencies that will produce policies for these kids that are sure fire 1st or 2nd rounders and loan them money based on said policy on their future earnings potential w/ a nice, large interest rate (say 20%). If these kids really can't wait 2-5 months to get that large paycheck, then my company will facilitate them.

Actually, I'm guessing this is illegal as well or someone would already be doing it.

As an aside, I agree w/ Adam here. As the law stands currently, yes the kids are at fault. But I agree that something should happen to the agents.

RipperIII

Because we're supposed to have this thing in this country called "innocent until proven guilty"... Not to mention the word on the street is that that there are more names to come out.

My point greene is if they were there, then they are guilty, if they admit to or are positively id'd as being there, then according to your line, they are guilty.

If an agent uses his client to throw a party with many guest and the college players arrive at their own expense,...is that a violation? how does the college player know who "sponsored" the party?

I'm not making excuses, I'm asking a legit question here,...someone know?
:)bounce: I'm sure someone will answer)

RipperIII

Come on ... really? That is a nuts suggestion! This kind of thinking is why there is NO personal responsibility felt by our youth.

What about the responsibility of the agent?
He is putting the athlete in a position of actually losing money if the athlete is found out and loses eligibility

AccUbonD

Sorry to bust in a ruin the rival chat thread, but who gives a crap its Alabama. Dareus is also is dirty as they come (play wise). I have seen yank on face mask so many times it isn't even funny. Wonder if he hasn't already broke somebody's neck, so be gone. Tennessee will probably join UF and bama soon and possibly LSU as well. Rest of the conference...say UGA down is safe from these agent meetings. The talent is just not there for pre-arrangements.

greene_dawg

My point greene is if they were there, then they are guilty, if they admit to or are positively id'd as being there, then according to your line, they are guilty.

If an agent uses his client to throw a party with many guest and the college players arrive at their own expense,...is that a violation? how does the college player know who "sponsored" the party?

I'm not making excuses, I'm asking a legit question here,...someone know?
:)bounce: I'm sure someone will answer)

On what planet would someone throw a party in South Beach and multiple SEC/ACC football players are invited and it wouldn't seem fishy to any of them? Come on Rip... Your head is in the sand bro.

RipperIII

Sorry to bust in a ruin the rival chat thread, but who gives a crap its Alabama. Dareus is also is dirty as they come (play wise). I have seen yank on face mask so many times it isn't even funny. Wonder if he hasn't already broke somebody's neck, so be gone. Tennessee will probably join UF and bama soon and possibly LSU as well. Rest of the conference...say UGA down is safe from these agent meetings. The talent is just not there for pre-arrangements.

Man, these morning benders are starting to take their toll on you bondy....

RipperIII

On what planet would someone throw a party in South Beach and multiple SEC/ACC football players are invited and it wouldn't seem fishy to any of them? Come on Rip... Your head is in the sand bro.

nah, head is not in the sand greene, like I said for the fifth time "if Darius broke the rules, boot him"...

You trying to tell me that as a young player you would not attend a party in South beach thrown by "name your current star athlete"?
by the way Schlabaugh stated this am that another SEC school is "investigating" some of their players...you AUbbies better pray that Cam was somewhere cutting grass

RipperIII

Also greene, who said it was limited to just the sec and acc?

greene_dawg

nah, head is not in the sand greene, like I said for the fifth time "if Darius broke the rules, boot him"...

You trying to tell me that as a young player you would not attend a party in South beach thrown by "name your current star athlete"?
by the way Schlabaugh stated this am that another SEC school is "investigating" some of their players...you AUbbies better pray that Cam was somewhere cutting grass

I'm saying that if I was all but guaranteed tens of millions of dollars in 8 months, I'd at THE VERY LEAST call up the guy Saban says is in charge of keeping these guys heads on straight when it comes to agents. Then again, I'm smarter than most everyone in Alabama... ;)

RipperIII

I'm saying that if I was all but guaranteed tens of millions of dollars in 8 months, I'd at THE VERY LEAST call up the guy Saban says is in charge of keeping these guys heads on straight when it comes to agents. Then again, I'm smarter than most everyone in Alabama... ;)

Can't argue that.

...you must be an Athens savant:bounce:

00Beau

Sure they did man... Sometimes CFB players just aren't disciplined enough to control the power they have at their fingertips. I'd have a hard time believing any football player at Bama wouldn't know the rules about dealing with agents after Antonio Langham's actions made them forfeit the better part of an entire season.

You say the players should know the rules, I agree 100%, but evidently Uga Coaches nor players know all the rules. NCAA looking into Uga for possibly breaking rules at Dawg night last Friday night, as Coaches, players and parents mingled among the media after Dawg Night. Not hard to find on ESPN or AJC.

irishleprechaun

See my above reply to Lep.

How is that such a nuts suggestion? So the kids should be penalized, but not the agents? That, sir, is the kind of thinking as to why there is no personal responsibility felt by anyone. Not just youth.

So you're saying an agent should be able to try and contact these kids? Offer them cars, money, women, clothes, etc, etc, etc? Then if a kid does the right thing and rejects him, he can just move along to the next kid in line and start swooning him? But when a kid does the wrong thing and accepts an offer, it the kid's career that gets blemished, and yet nothing happens to the agent?

That is a nuts suggestion Mud. Absolutely ridiculous. Punish BOTH sides involved, not just one.

I agree with this. The NFL needs to partner with the NCAA and get these agents following some rules and punish those that don't. If the NCAA is the minor leagues for the NFL then they need to collaborate and make the rules apply equally to both parties....

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
from RollBamaRoll-

Saban on the Paul Finebaum show:
"In this case, the agent used a player to get other players to come somewhere where the agents could meet them"
Quote source: Nick Saban

This was posted in the comments by BamaHadMeAtHello, but it deserves mentioning here. Based on what Lord Saban says, it would rationally lead one to conclude that the agent in question had Marvin Austin use his friendship with certain players, including Marcell Dareus, to get these guys come to South Beach. This meshes with earlier claims by Dareus to UA officials that he did not know it was an agent-hosted party or anything of the sort, and it also makes sense regarding other unconfirmed claims that Dareus merely went to Miami to meet up with friends.
Furthermore, it certainly would explain why Steve Spurrier told Weslye Saunders to stay the Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ----Edited to Remove Profanity ---- away from Austin, and why Austin is perceived to be in much more trouble than the other named players. Either way, some of the latest information we have is starting to sound very positive for Dareus' status.

RipperIII

Sounds a little more plausible.
I understand the NCAA is paying a visit to UGA on a related issue, I also heard that this "party" may have involved upwards to 30+ players, I just don't believe that many players would knowingly risk their futures...but then again, i have my head in the sand:bounce:

fairhopebama

The question about Dareus still remains. Who paid for the trip? I guess it will all come out soon and I hope the news is good.

AU Bassman

Atlanta station 680 the fan (Chuck Oliver) reporting Dareus will be ineligible for the season possibly longer.

Seems the list of players attending the big party in south beach is growing and might effect some other SEC schools as well.

greene_dawg

You say the players should know the rules, I agree 100%, but evidently Uga Coaches nor players know all the rules. NCAA looking into Uga for possibly breaking rules at Dawg night last Friday night, as Coaches, players and parents mingled among the media after Dawg Night. Not hard to find on ESPN or AJC.

Yep. That story is about a week old and it's about potential secondary violations. The type that EVERY SINGLE school commits EVERY YEAR. There is a pretty big difference between taking a picture of a recruit and an OL coach and attending a party held in South Beach by an agent. ;) I hope you can see that.

fairhopebama

Atlanta station 680 the fan (Chuck Oliver) reporting Dareus will be ineligible for the season possibly longer.

Seems the list of players attending the big party in south beach is growing and might effect some other SEC schools as well.

Being reported this morning that Dareus was invited to South Beach by his friend (NC Player) and repaid the friend for airfare and has a receipt. Went to the party not knowing there were going to be agents there and when he realized there were he asked to leave. I am not looking at this through Crimson glasses, just reporting what I am hearing. Do I believe it? It does seem a bit far fetched. But like Saban said, everyone is assuming that he did something wrong before the facts come out.

This whole mess is a very tough issue to solve.

1. The NFL has no authority over agents or how they act. All the power over agents is wielded by the NFLPA.

2. Coaches realize that they can't just limit access to practices and their players. Think about it......Saban bans the NFL from accessing practices and players. Mark Richt then tells recruits, "Do you really want to go to Alabama
where you will not have up close exposure to NFL scouts?"

3. We are dealing with immature kids. What would you do at 20 years old if someone offered you $25,000?