$1000 a shot..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MULE

This makes hunters in general look, REALLY BAD. Just think of all the people on here reading this, how many the farmer told, ect, ect.

bigreddwon

I just can't believe how lightly you seem to have taken this matter and on top of that call it a mistake!! This bozo is an idiot!! I would not want you or your clients on my property no matter if it is a $1000 a shot. What would he have done if he had squared up on people. I don't see a mistake here just someone who can't control themselves and shouldn't be hunting during the day much less the night. Can't believe you told this story (Looks real bad).

Not trying to be a jerk at all when I say this: But, HOW should I take it? The landowner told me something immediately after the incident, I guess it was the look on my face or my body language at the time " If ya don't laugh sometimes you'll cry" Or something along those lines, I was pretty upset after the fact. ( he was there pulling my truck outta the mud with his backhoe ). It was a pretty traumatic night for me and my company. I did not take any part of it lightly. When the farmer made the '$1000' a pop comment It put me at ease, he and the landowner were SO helpful to me personally during and after that night I cant even describe it. Looking back I could tell they felt sorry for me and did what they could do to help the bad situation get better as quick as possible. I thanked them BOTH after the fact for their support, it meant more to me than they know.

As far as putting the story up it had to be done. The yahoo who made the first post about it prior to me posting made it very clear that if I didn't put it out there, the version that WOULD get out wouldn't be accurate and would do WAY more harm than this write up could. There is NO way to come out of this 'looking good' I'm not silly enough to think that. We had every intention of telling the story after all the loose ends were tied up. The $$ hit my bank account today and I'll be paying the farmer tomorrow and that's the last thing to be done with this event.

I hope folks can learn something from this, I have. There's plenty to learn from it. Doesn't matter if you've been hunting for a year or 50 years.

As far as you not wanting me or my clients on your property, its your property, your call. Before this, some folks didn't want us on and this most likely wont win them over, but I have always respected a mans right to choose what HE wants for HIS land.

As a company, I don't know how else I could have handled the situation other than how I did. I communicated every detail to the landowner and farmer and stood up straight to take what came. MY insurance would have paid if the shooter would have decided to be less than honorable. He manned up and did the right thing, I respect him for that.
I AM NOT proud of this, but I also can't change whats already happened. We will strive to make sure we are as safe as can be and keep at it.

Tyson Wilkerson

This makes hunters in general look, REALLY BAD. Just think of all the people on here reading this, how many the farmer told, ect, ect.
amen brother.some stuff is better not put in the public eye!!!! livestock ?come on. i aint funny at ALL:hair:

ELIWAITS

Banned
Had a couple in last weekend, experienced hunters from the Midwest. We were hunting a dairy, with cows in a pasture. Cows were off to our right, 500 yards+. 8 pigs were directly in front of us that came from the woods to our north 800 yards to a pond. We stalked to within 60 yards.
We set up, shots fired, pigs run straight back to the woods, 3 down before they get out of sight. The husband, pivots to his right 45 degrees, lines up on the cows and fires....TWICE!! Im screaming CEASEFIRE!! He looks at us and says, "Those are cows". His wife and I both say simultaneously "WHY DID YOU FIRE?" "I don't know, I knew they were cows, I just got excited." The following day we talked about it a bit. He still couldn't explain why he shot, he said he knew it was cows, clearly but said his trigger finger just 'did it'.

One cow down, one round unaccounted for. (I found a wounded cow in the same pasture the following night.)

He paid $2000 via PayPal as we stood over 'Bessie" in the field. $1000 per round. One pig crawled off in the commotion, so they ended the night with 2 pigs and 800lbs of beef..

Farmer told me to bring him back and give him a full clip... At 1k a cow he said he could shoot em all night if he wanted...

man,sounds like yall are running a safe operation

ELIWAITS

Banned
Sounds like he's got more money than brains.

sounds like somebody put profit before safety this is the kind of stuff peta and the likes thrive on and from a safety veiw they should this is as bad as it gets remember the warden killed at night last year this is the same kind of irresponsible hunting as that was i would never allow such as this to go on on my property and any farmer that does better make a good crop because it sounds like he will need it come court time if he lets this kind of free for all hunting if you call it that take place on his property

ELIWAITS

Banned
Not trying to be a jerk at all when I say this: But, HOW should I take it? The landowner told me something immediately after the incident, I guess it was the look on my face or my body language at the time " If ya don't laugh sometimes you'll cry" Or something along those lines, I was pretty upset after the fact. ( he was there pulling my truck outta the mud with his backhoe ). It was a pretty traumatic night for me and my company. I did not take any part of it lightly. When the farmer made the '$1000' a pop comment It put me at ease, he and the landowner were SO helpful to me personally during and after that night I cant even describe it. Looking back I could tell they felt sorry for me and did what they could do to help the bad situation get better as quick as possible. I thanked them BOTH after the fact for their support, it meant more to me than they know.

As far as putting the story up it had to be done. The yahoo who made the first post about it prior to me posting made it very clear that if I didn't put it out there, the version that WOULD get out wouldn't be accurate and would do WAY more harm than this write up could. There is NO way to come out of this 'looking good' I'm not silly enough to think that. We had every intention of telling the story after all the loose ends were tied up. The $$ hit my bank account today and I'll be paying the farmer tomorrow and that's the last thing to be done with this event.

I hope folks can learn something from this, I have. There's plenty to learn from it. Doesn't matter if you've been hunting for a year or 50 years.

As far as you not wanting me or my clients on your property, its your property, your call. Before this, some folks didn't want us on and this most likely wont win them over, but I have always respected a mans right to choose what HE wants for HIS land.

As a company, I don't know how else I could have handled the situation other than how I did. I communicated every detail to the landowner and farmer and stood up straight to take what came. MY insurance would have paid if the shooter would have decided to be less than honorable. He manned up and did the right thing, I respect him for that.
I AM NOT proud of this, but I also can't change whats already happened. We will strive to make sure we are as safe as can be and keep at it.

there are some things you cant just PAY FOR and its ok!

Brassman

bigreddwon, you sound like a class operation. I don't see where you could have done anything different. My friends and I are hoping to hunt with you soon. Take care.

Rich M

If I hunted pigs I'd come out and play at night with you. Used to shoot 'em over bait and stalking but I don't eat pork any more - so hogs walk. The whole thermal imaging idea is pretty cool.

If I had the extra $$$, I would pay the money to come out and shoot a cow tho'. Well, if the farmer helps me cut that thing up - all he has to do it hoist it with the backhoe...I'll bring the chainsaw and big coolers.

As for everyone wanting to hang the guy - I'm sure they don't do and have never done anything stupid at all.

The ones deciding to keep you off the land over this issue were just looking for an excuse and a place to shout it loud. Pompus comes to mind.

Chalk it up as a once in a lifetime. Every couple of year you hear about someone shooting a horse or cow. Not that often.

One question that will never be answered - why would the guy & his wife get all upset over him shooting a cow if they were shooting hogs? Maybe it was the fear of jail, but one dead animal is the same as any other.

mauk trapper

If I hunted pigs I'd come out and play at night with you. Used to shoot 'em over bait and stalking but I don't eat pork any more - so hogs walk. The whole thermal imaging idea is pretty cool.

If I had the extra $$$, I would pay the money to come out and shoot a cow tho'. Well, if the farmer helps me cut that thing up - all he has to do it hoist it with the backhoe...I'll bring the chainsaw and big coolers.

As for everyone wanting to hang the guy - I'm sure they don't do and have never done anything stupid at all.

The ones deciding to keep you off the land over this issue were just looking for an excuse and a place to shout it loud. Pompus comes to mind.

Chalk it up as a once in a lifetime. Every couple of year you hear about someone shooting a horse or cow. Not that often.

One question that will never be answered - why would the guy & his wife get all upset over him shooting a cow if they were shooting hogs? Maybe it was the fear of jail, but one dead animal is the same as any other.

??? Really. There is no point in trying to have a reasonable conversation with you. If you really think one dead animal is the same as another you have problems fella.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
This thread has been an eye-opener.

Lukikus2

It was a pretty traumatic night for me and my company. I did not take any part of it lightly.

I could only imagine.

As far as putting the story up it had to be done. The yahoo who made the first post about it prior to me posting made it very clear that if I didn't put it out there, the version that WOULD get out wouldn't be accurate and would do WAY more harm than this write up could.

The world is full of "crap" starters.

That is for sure.

As a company, I don't know how else I could have handled the situation other than how I did.

You were not in control of the gun nor pull the trigger. NOT YOUR FAULT. I'm sure you are beside yourself knowing it happened under your watch though. I can't imagine what was going through your mind at the time.

Evidently your going to have to give clients a few rules before heading into the field like #1 don't shoot cows. DUH!:crazy:

Jester896

Senior Clown
bigreddwon, you sound like a class operation. I don't see where you could have done anything different. My friends and I are hoping to hunt with you soon. Take care.

frankly i don't either...unless you start getting 10-20 year background checks on your customers complete with a psychological profile.

You will enjoy your hunt with him...trust me

ELIWAITS

Banned

i think he may of had enough hunters like you when the cow-capper went out the driveway

Jester896

Senior Clown

Evidently your going to have to give clients a few rules before heading into the field like #1 don't shoot cows. DUH!:crazy:

:clap::clap::clap: good post Lukikus
that is just it...he does have them..I am glad his cease fire command worked. He has never told me not to shoot a cow when I was with him...:huh:then again he didn't need to:huh:

killa86

And what kind of insurance does the idiot have that will pay when he goes out and shoots someone's cow?

maybe he bought prehunt insurance da-mooooo-ge waiver. wait thats utterly ridiculous. everyone knows its gen-moo-ral liability. just so you know geico insures everything

Catdaddy SC

X2 I can't wait for this answer. I've got all kinds of insurance and I don't think I would be covered for shooting a cow. I sure hope I don't wind up hunting anywere near this guy.

Me too.I've got insurance that will pay to fix my truck if I run into someone's cow,but insurance for me going onto someone else's land and shooting their cow?That's ridiculous............

What the heck kind of insurance pays for shooting somebodies cow?

Homeowners

Status
Not open for further replies.