what changes would you like to see after Pope Benedict XVI?

bigdawg25

So there is a lot of debate about reform in the Catholic church, and a lot of suggestions have been thrown around regarding changing a few things....calls for Vatican III have been made too. I am not asking about a wishlist from a known liberal because I know what they'll say, I am asking it from a viewpoint of someone middle of the road who have reasonable suggestions and would like to see some change in how things are done.

to kick things off, I don't like the fact that divorced and remarried Catholics cannot receive communion, and I would like to make it open for them.

Lowjack

I like to se ethem going back to true Christianity or Yeshua Sitting on David's throne all religions done away with.

Artfuldodger

thanks, I didnt realize this before and this was my first time posting on this sub-forum. I definitely wasn't looking into hearing this antiquated thing about how Catholics aren't Christians.

Just because there aren't many Catholics that post here doesn't mean you aren't welcome because you are. Most Protestants would believe Catholics are Christian.
We all came from the same 1st Church.
Although I don't totally agree with Lowjack, atleast give him a chance to explain himself. Now if he wishes both the Protestants & Catholics would both go back to the first Christian Church, I agree with him.

Artfuldodger

So there is a lot of debate about reform in the Catholic church, and a lot of suggestions have been thrown around regarding changing a few things....calls for Vatican III have been made too. I am not asking about a wishlist from a known liberal because I know what they'll say, I am asking it from a viewpoint of someone middle of the road who have reasonable suggestions and would like to see some change in how things are done.

to kick things off, I don't like the fact that divorced and remarried Catholics cannot receive communion, and I would like to make it open for them.

I would be ok with remarried Catholics to receive communion. Could you explain what Vatican III is? Do we have Vatican II? I don't think most Protestants know enough about Catholicism to ponder as to what changes need to be made. Do ya'll still have to eat fish on Friday? I think that would be a good place to start.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
Re:

I wish that we all(Christians) would make every effort to become one and remove all traditions of men that separate us from each other, such that we may become one in Christ Jesus our Lord and our Christian witness would begin again to turn the world upside down.

bigdawg25

Just because there aren't many Catholics that post here doesn't mean you aren't welcome because you are. Most Protestants would believe Catholics are Christian.
We all came from the same 1st Church.
Although I don't totally agree with Lowjack, atleast give him a chance to explain himself. Now if he wishes both the Protestants & Catholics would both go back to the first Christian Church, I agree with him.

I didnt want to sideline the main post, but for me someone is christian or not is determined by whether they completely believe what's said the nicene creed (or some other ones like apostle's creed) and they unconditionally believe in the scripture (bible) and agree that there have not been any further revelations.

By that token, Catholics and most Protestants are Christians, and the only ones I exclude are faiths like Mormons. I do not have enough faith (yet) to completely believe nicene creed or bible, and hence I classify my non religious; but I know enough friends and families who are catholics and who I think definitely are Christians. 39000 denominations has definately made my doubts in christianity stronger, because you cannot have thousands of versions of truth, so yes, I will gladly have one universal church.

bigdawg25

I would be ok with remarried Catholics to receive communion. Could you explain what Vatican III is? Do we have Vatican II? I don't think most Protestants know enough about Catholicism to ponder as to what changes need to be made. Do ya'll still have to eat fish on Friday? I think that would be a good place to start.

vatican II was a vatican council held in 1960s to reform the church, and they came up with using normal languages for mass instead of latin, and they made structural changes and translations of the liturgy etc. Basically, it made catholic church services more protestant church like, and increased the accessibility of it to lay man.

vatican III is sometimes used as a term to indicate a future council to decide to more issues of the church, and reform it to make it look less antiquated. In other words, catholic church still "looks" different from any other church, and there is a debate as to whether to make it even more accessible.

eating fish on Fridays originated in italy where fish was cheap so eating it was considered as a restraint/sacrifice of other luxury meats, and then it got carried out where in the world...so some folks still do it, but many people dont do it because they consider it to be like any other meat, and hence they abstain from all other meats on fridays.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Just FYI: very few Catholics post here.

Not many in here now. But a few still lurk around.

As for the OP: I don't really see any major changes they could make.

gemcgrew

By that token, Catholics and most Protestants are Christians, and the only ones I exclude are faiths like Mormons.
I would say that the majority of Catholics and Protestants are non-Christian. The majority of professing Christians are non-Christian.

Artfuldodger

I didnt want to sideline the main post, but for me someone is christian or not is determined by whether they completely believe what's said the nicene creed (or some other ones like apostle's creed) and they unconditionally believe in the scripture (bible) and agree that there have not been any further revelations.

By that token, Catholics and most Protestants are Christians, and the only ones I exclude are faiths like Mormons. I do not have enough faith (yet) to completely believe nicene creed or bible, and hence I classify my non religious; but I know enough friends and families who are catholics and who I think definitely are Christians. 39000 denominations has definately made my doubts in christianity stronger, because you cannot have thousands of versions of truth, so yes, I will gladly have one universal church.

Where did you get the idea that being a Christian involves following a creed of an sorts? Please explain why you classify yourself as non-religious. Does this mean you are a Christian but don't follow a particular denomination or Church doctrine?
Thanks for the info on Vatican III. I think we can talk about a few side items without getting off track. It might help us answer the original question better.
I hope they don't do away with all the traditions. I like the smoke symbols when picking a new pope.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I would say that the majority of Catholics and Protestants are non-Christian. The majority of professing Christians are non-Christian.
Could you elaborate? Kind of a broad, generalization without any supporting information.

bigdawg25

Where did you get the idea that being a Christian involves following a creed of an sorts? Please explain why you classify yourself as non-religious. Does this mean you are a Christian but don't follow a particular denomination or Church doctrine?
Thanks for the info on Vatican III. I think we can talk about a few side items without getting off track. It might help us answer the original question better.
I hope they don't do away with all the traditions. I like the smoke symbols when picking a new pope.

dont pay too much attention on the name of any creed...see what's written in them, and if you believe in what's written, then you should be christian. Many of the churches have their own belief statement, but in essence, it says the same thing. I am non religious in that I dont have complete belief in everything the church says; I have my doubts to say the least, and I read a lot of theology to look for answers but catholicsm is something closer to home for me so I unconsciously read more on it then any other denomination.

here is copy of nicene creed:

We believe in one God,
the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ,
the only Son of God,
eternally begotten of the Father,
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made,
of one Being with the Father.
Through him all things were made.
For us and for our salvation
he came down from heaven:
by the power of the Holy Spirit
he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary,
and was made man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate;
he suffered death and was buried.
On the third day he rose again
in accordance with the Scriptures;
he ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead,
and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son.
With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified.
He has spoken through the Prophets.
"

Artfuldodger

I would let priests and nuns marry. I base this on recently watching the "Thorn Birds" on dvd.
Seriously I think it's time to let them marry.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod

But haven't you heard, all of them are perfectly correct in their beliefs.

Ronnie T

Ol' Retired Mod

facepalm: I"m not surprised that you're the one who said this.