Which of these calibers would you shoot...

Arrow3

So... I'm a bowhunter mostly but I do enjoy picking up a rifle for the last week of October till about mid November.

I recently picked up a new property that is really nice with a lot of buck sign from this past season. The kind of sign that a mature buck hunter as myself likes to see.

This property is 90% field with a power line running through it with the powerline splitting about 25 acres of woods.

I can position a tower stand where I can shoot about 350 yards in every direction.

I've never been a long range shooter. I've made 2 killing shots over 200 yards. One on a doe, the other a hog.

I have many calibers to choose from. 6mm Rem, 243, 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm-08.

I can make an argument for all of them .

Which one would you want in that situation?

transfixer

I've hunted clearcut for years with both a .243 and a .308, the 7mm08 is the same cartridge, just different diameter bullet, whichever one you think you can shoot the most accurately at ranges over 200yds is what i would recommend

I'm quoting from memory, but if you zero any of those to hit dead center at 200yds, you will be around 7 or 8 inches low at 300yds, depending on bullet choice, my furthest kill on a deer was a spike at 275yds across a clearcut, aimed about 2 inches above his back slightly behind his shoulder bone, he dropped like a rock

Normally most people can shoot the smaller calibers consistently more accurate than the larger heavier recoiling ones, my .308 is a bull barrel and weighs 11lbs or so, so there isn't much recoil, but my favorite rifle of all is my .243, and its a standard sporter weight Ruger m77

transfixer

150gr. 30-06...will do all you want it to.

But then thats my favorite caliber and the one I am most comfortable and proficient with.

I have always run 150gr loads in my .308, and I handload so they aren't off the shelf rounds, normally Hornady 150gr btsp's , sometimes 150gr bthp's

but people look at me funny when I tell them I run 87gr bthp's in my .243, they're running about 3000fps,

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I have always run 150gr loads in my .308, and I handload so they aren't off the shelf rounds, normally Hornady 150gr btsp's , sometimes 150gr bthp's

but people look at me funny when I tell them I run 87gr bthp's in my .243, they're running about 3000fps,
I have killed a pile of deer and hogs with my handloads using Hornady's 150gr. Interlock BTSP

rmp

So... I'm a bowhunter mostly but I do enjoy picking up a rifle for the last week of October till about mid November.

I recently picked up a new property that is really nice with a lot of buck sign from this past season. The kind of sign that a mature buck hunter as myself likes to see.

This property is 90% field with a power line running through it with the powerline splitting about 25 acres of woods.

I can position a tower stand where I can shoot about 350 yards in every direction.

I've never been a long range shooter. I've made 2 killing shots over 200 yards. One on a doe, the other a hog.

I have many calibers to choose from. 6mm Rem, 243, 270, 30-06, 308, 7mm-08.

I can make an argument for all of them .

Which one would you want in that situation?
Whichever I can shoot out to 350 yards consistently and confidently. Put a good bullet where it belongs and any will do the job.
I don’t tend to get too hung up on a cartridge. They are more alike than different at those distances.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
personally... 06.

I would choose that one because of the abundance of ammo, and if you plan on being consistent @ 350, you are going to be using lots of ammo. And not just at 350, but all 300, 250, 200, etc

Don't expect to pick a rifle, zero it a 200 or 250 and be a consistent, ethical killer just by shooting 10 or 20 rounds thru it.

transfixer

Any of those rounds will do the job nicely, thank you very much.

As long as you do your part.

200 is easy. 350 ain't.

Nah,, its not that hard, if the wind isn't blowing and you've got a good set of sandbags, or a solid bipod and one good sandbag,, its just remembering drop after that , its been about 15yrs since we had a long clearcut on my old club, but back then we had targets set up out to 500yds, with my .308 I could consistently hit the 500yd target and keep all the rounds under a 6 inch group, and I'm definitely no competition shooter

transfixer

Don't expect to pick a rifle, zero it a 200 or 250 and be a consistent, ethical killer just by shooting 10 or 20 rounds thru it.

Definitely this ^^^ back when zeroing mine for long range I typically shot 40-50 rounds with each rifle at each session, and probably 4 times that getting used to each rifle and scope setup, I zeroed at 200, then shot at 300 and further to verify drop with whatever load I was using , but I really enjoyed hunting clearcut, so it was simply fun practice for me

Dub

.270 with 140gr Nosler BT over a healthy dose of H4831sc.
Big fan on this one.

Next would have me grabbing a .30'06 with 165gr boat tailed hunting bullets....most likely Sierra GameKings.

A big factor would also be which rifle I feel the best about...have the most confidence in shooting.....love the trigger....love the glass, etc.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Nah,, its not that hard, if the wind isn't blowing and you've got a good set of sandbags, or a solid bipod and one good sandbag,, its just remembering drop after that , its been about 15yrs since we had a long clearcut on my old club, but back then we had targets set up out to 500yds, with my .308 I could consistently hit the 500yd target and keep all the rounds under a 6 inch group, and I'm definitely no competition shooter

Easy for you to say... :bounce: ::ke:

Most folks cain't.

Tight Lines

I have all of those rounds as well, with the exception of the 6MM which is a 6MM ARC.

Any of those are capable rounds. Whichever one is the most accurate of the rifles you own, with the best optics would be my choice for the long shots.

Lots of good advice above. You'll have the most ammo options for the '06 and the .308.

Practice is important as others have said the further out you shoot...

I have a tactical turret set up that is zeroed at 100 and has clicks out to 400 that is dead zero in the cross hairs with specific rounds...I've practiced with prairie dog targets out to 400 and can head shoot them out to 300 and won't miss at 400...but I could not do that with every rifle I have without a lot of practice beforehand.

hunter 85

I’ve killed more deer with my 270 than anything else, and have killed with every one you said short of the 6mm. So I am partial to the 270 and out of my guns that is the one I would grab. If I was in the process of choosing one I would take all of them to the range and find the one that gives me the best groups a 100 and that is how I would make my choice. With enough money spent and options shot you can usually find a factory loaded bullet that will shoot sub moa at a 100. Then start practicing out as far as you can, and as mentioned a good rest is worth it’s weight in gold the farther you try to effectively take game.

deerslayer357

I would stick with the 3006 or 270 personally for the extra velocity and energy at the outer edge of your shooting range, all other variables being the same.

I think using a rifle you are comfortable with and can shoot well is paramount, as stated above.

Reactions: Dub