How Young for First Squirrel Hunt

BigBass123

What age do y’all feel is the cutoff to bring a kid on a squirrel hunt? What age before they can shoot?

GF’s daughter is currently 3, turning 4 in October, and super excited about going hunting. Has been asking since the middle of turkey season when can she come. She’s already doing up to 1 hour fishing trips, 1.5 if the fish are biting. I’m very happy about both .

For her age, very mature and good at following directions. Plus she’s shown interest for going on 4 months now which I feel is the main sign before taking a kid.

My thought is she is probably ready this august to start going on squirrel hunts up to 2 hours long, with her being the deciding factor of when we leave of course. Let her get acclimated to bring in the woods and the sound of the 22. Maybe next year she can bring a BB gun, and the following a 22 or 410.

This sound reasonable or is this a little too young? I think she would be devastated if she didn’t get to go at least once this year.

Hillbilly stalker

It’s hard for a little one to set still very long. That would be tuff hunting. If a kid doesn’t see success pretty quick, they loose interest. Sounds a little young, but you might be able to pull it off if you was to catch the time right when the squirrels are cutting hickory and the leaves still on. They’re caught up in their work and you can get away with more. Incidentally that’s the best time to use a cutting call , that would add some excitement to it for her. Watch her close and if she starts getting bored or distracted, ask her if she wants to walk over to the next spot to scout for deer. Small steps. (y)

BigBass123

It’s hard for a little one to set still very long. That would be tuff hunting. If a kid doesn’t see success pretty quick, they loose interest. Sounds a little young, but you might be able to pull it off if you was to catch the time right when the squirrels are cutting hickory and the leaves still on. They’re caught up in their work and you can get away with more. Incidentally that’s the best time to use a cutting call , that would add some excitement to it for her. Watch her close and if she starts getting bored or distracted, ask her if she wants to walk over to the next spot to scout for deer. Small steps. (y)
Agreed, however she has done surprisingly well with fishing for her age.

I think this would be more of a hike through the woods with a rifle and maybe we see a squirrel type deal.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
My Dad about ruined me toting me squirrel hunting young. Sitting that long and not much happening was too much. My uncle took me rabbit hunting with beagles and I was hooked. Lots of noise, plenty of action happening, kicking thickets instead of sitting still.

I’d go hiking/scouting and take the rifle. Talk about what you’re looking for and see along the way. If anything happens it’s a bonus.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
What age do y’all feel is the cutoff to bring a kid on a squirrel hunt? What age before they can shoot?

GF’s daughter is currently 3, turning 4 in October, and super excited about going hunting. Has been asking since the middle of turkey season when can she come. She’s already doing up to 1 hour fishing trips, 1.5 if the fish are biting. I’m very happy about both .

For her age, very mature and good at following directions. Plus she’s shown interest for going on 4 months now which I feel is the main sign before taking a kid.

My thought is she is probably ready this august to start going on squirrel hunts up to 2 hours long, with her being the deciding factor of when we leave of course. Let her get acclimated to bring in the woods and the sound of the 22. Maybe next year she can bring a BB gun, and the following a 22 or 410.

This sound reasonable or is this a little too young? I think she would be devastated if she didn’t get to go at least once this year.

I took my kid before he could walk. When he started walking, he was carrying at least a bb gun. By 5, he was shooting AR's. At 8, he shot his 1st buck fully surpressed.

Only you can decide what that child is ready for. It's also up to you to set the standard.

FFg

I think this would be more of a hike through the woods with a rifle and maybe we see a squirrel type deal.
You hit the nail in the head right there. Make it all about her, make it fun, make it exciting to go, make her want to go again and again!

Whatever you do my friend, please protect her hearing. Even from a .22 or .410.

And post up some pictures!

longrangedog

I would walk along with my dad and uncles without a rifle from age 4 or 5. At about age 6 I was allowed to carry a single shot .22 Remington bolt action with an empty chamber and the cartridges in my dad's pockets. This was early training in being aware of where my rifle muzzle was pointing. Corrections were made immediately. At about 7 I was allowed to carry the cartridges but could only load when a stationary squirrel was spotted. This was the year that I killed my first squirrel. On my twelfth birthday I got a 20 gauge Stevens double barrel and could hunt by myself while my dad was nearby working the farm.

Big7

The Oracle

Go with the Savage Rascal rather than the Cricket or Chipmunk.

Been there, done that. And the comb is lower on the Rascal so it leaves a few years to grow into.

I got one for a pack gun. It shoots good and is very accurate with an excellent trigger.

I shoot mine all the time.

menhadenman

I started my three pretty early. They were all solid with safety and accuracy using a single shot 22 by around 5 years old (Savage Rascal).

One thing I found with the younger kids - a ground blind by a deer feeder is a good place to pile up a couple squirrels. Mine even use a pellet gun often since it’s quieter.

The ground blind is also good if the kids get ants in their pants. They can read a book, eat snacks, etc to pass time without getting busted as easily.

Good luck, you’re doing the right thing by getting her exposed early!

FC9A8F25-3C9B-4490-9C81-9DD382D55B37.jpeg

Oldstick

Take her, make it fun, and leave her wanting more.

Look for bugs, flowers, artifacts, count birds, and if y'all see a squirrel all the better.

My oldest Grandboy, The Kid, started with a toy gun as soon as he could walk...
I would agree with that 100%. Kind of like taking them fishing at that age. They're gonna want to do as much (or more) exploring and playing as anything else.

Latest posts