How old were your kids when you introduced them to hunting?

I have a little girl, about 1 year old, so probably still a little young to take into the woods with me other than scouting. I do that already, looking for white oaks and game trails with her in a backpack.

What age were your kids when you go them involved, and how did you get them involved?

For reference, I'm a meat hunter, I fill the freezer each fall and 90% of the meat we eat all year long is venison. So she will definitely be involved at some point, just curious what others have done.

Jdmb123

Mine are only 6 and 3, but have been at camp since babies. It’s just our lifestyle. This year will mark my 6yo fourth out of state hunt as well. It’s all about making it fun through their lens- snacks, drawing, playing in the blind, splashing puddles and pretending.

Blackston

Lil man has been goin in the woods since he was a year old ….. he’s been goin to the stand since 3 yo , he’ll be 7 this deer season he’s on the gun this year !!!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Mine was about 18 months. Had a basket on the front ATV rack. I cushioned the basket and let him ride with me when I was riding logging roads scouting. I’d point out tracks and tell him what they were. One of my fondest memories is pointing out a bear track. I got him out of the basket and he put his little hands in the track. He looked me and said, “Big daddy, big.”

He also watched me setup stands and trim back shooting lanes at that age. He’d try to drag little saplings I cut out of way. It got him involved and outdoors. As was said you have to make it fun. Coming out of the mountains he saw kids swimming in a creek and he begged to “play.” I stripped him down and let him play in the creek.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Mine are grown now, but started early. Probably around 2 or 3.
Best thing IMO for taking a little kid is a ground blind and/or enclosed shooting house.

buckpasser

I’ve got pictures of mine as little onion heads looking at my dead deer and turkeys. I think that’s a good introduction before they can even be safely taken to the woods. Mine have been out there retrieving deer, catching fish and later on setting traps since about the time they quit breast feeding.

DOUG 281

I had my son sitting on the foot platform of a ladder stand at around six or seven my daughter would go in the woods and do good until she ran out of candy then it was time to go back to the camper she was about five or six now they are in their 30's now my son and his wife hunt with their two 6&8

Big7

The Oracle
I don't have my own kids. My Daddy had me going Whitetail and Quail hunting with him before I could tote a gun.

He gave me the H&R .410 he and my Uncle had to share as kids when I was around 8, about the same time he bought me my first new "any" gun. A single shot youth model Ithaca .22 S, L, LR Lever Action. I toted it with him until 9 or 10. At 10, I could take out my .410 and .22 by myself.

Very shortly after that, I could shoot Dad's and Uncle's centerfire rifles supervised. By 13, I could take them out by myself and began killing deer without being with Daddy in the same stand.

Daddy bought me a new Marlin 336C, .35 Remington, Blue and Cut Checked Walnut for my 15th birthday, in 1978 and I've been mostly self taught hunting ever since. That was "my" first new centerfire.

I'll be 60 if the Lord let's me live until November and I've been loving every minute of it. That's how long it's been..

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Had my boys out dove hunting in TX, 4 and 6, they had a blast retrieving them. Oldest got his first deer in GA at 13, middle son liked to bird hunt and fish. Youngstest dove hunted and really liked fishing.

Had to watch my grandsons opening week of rifle season 3 and 5, hunted an old trailer, had a fire going in the stove, it was still cold, didn't see anything except when driving out.

A few years later I took them, both got one same day with a 222 and 22 hornet.

Took my youngest granddaughter out at 6 and got a 5 point with a youth model Parker xbow.

Been taking Hazel out for 4 years and has yet to take a deer, but she loves going

Lots of snacks, a heater, something to occupy them...but all kids are different20200926_081117.jpgFB_IMG_1571486543578.jpgFB_IMG_1571524796804.jpg20230810_155920.jpg20230810_155058.jpg

Last edited:

Pruitt1

They started going dove hunting around 3years and loved it. Running around with there ear muffs on and a red ryder bb gun. They all started actually shooting doves at around 6 to 7. Deer hunting they all started going and sitting around 3 and watching and actually hunting/killing start at 7 and 8. There all grown now from 32,29,24 they still hunt with me every year but don't miss the early years with them.

ugajay

My boy turned 5 in June. I've taken him hunting a few times but he hasn't made it past 40 minutes and that's fine. I always give him options. Last year I would ask him if he wanted to go hunting with me or if he wanted me to play with him.

I've had him in the woods for years now. He's great at identifying tracks and birds. But he's also like his daddy and is as loud and rambunctious as a kid can be so deer hunting isn't his thing yet unless it's constant action

ssramage

My boys have been in the woods with me since they were 2 (they're 10 and 6 now). My daughter (5) has never been and doesn't really care to go yet. My oldest killed his first deer at 7.

When mine got to be 2, I toted them with me every time they wanted to go... with the understanding that if they went, we were hunting like normal. No leaving early. I pack snacks and tablets/games for when they get bored. Binos for them to look through whenever they want.

Sure, I was less "successful" than I could have been but I wouldn't trade it for anything in this world.

Take the kids.

Dawson First Hunt.jpg
IMG_1668.jpeg
Dawson First Hunt 2.jpg
IMG_1104.jpegIMG_3279.jpegBoys.jpgIMG_5701.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter922

Helped with plots and just being on the property around 4-6.. Behind a weapon 9.. I Made 1000% sure he knew what pulling that trigger meant.

Blackston

I’ve got pictures of mine as little onion heads looking at my dead deer and turkeys. I think that’s a good introduction before they can even be safely taken to the woods. Mine have been out there retrieving deer, catching fish and later on setting traps since about the time they quit breast feeding.
Probably one of my favorites …. I may put it in her senior year book lol78B1C752-92CA-4030-A830-7DF26979C47E.png78B1C752-92CA-4030-A830-7DF26979C47E.png

Taco4x4

My son started going with me at 3 years old. When he was awake most of the time he would see the deer before I did. He watched me take a few and after that I knew he was ready. At 6 he shot his first Doe and at 7 a nice 8 point. Grown now. I really miss that time together we had.

rstallings1979

Each of my boys are different. My oldest gained interest early on and started going with me at 4 years old and would sit pretty quietly on afternoon sits. He will also wake up in the AM and is ready to go.

My second son who is now 7 is more of a challenge in the stand. He also loves to sleep late so morning hunts are not in his cards just yet.

After the season ends I really like taking both out for squirrel hunting trips in late January/Feb. This allows me to correct them when they are carrying their gun and using it. My oldest is careful now and I trust him to the highest degree.

Last year my oldest (9 at the time) shot the biggest deer taken off our farm since we became the owners 8 years ago. This year will be interesting for him because at the moment there are no mature bucks that appear to be living on the farm and I am going to make him wait it out unless we see a mature one. Of course I only have my four cameras running around fields at the moment so hopefully one will call our place home in the fall when the corn is harvested and the peanuts are as well.

Attachments

• Henrys 8 Oct 16 #2.PNG
    Henrys 8 Oct 16 #2.PNG
    761.7 KB · Views: 12

krizia829

No one knows your kids better than you. I believe once you feel like they can handle the dark, walking, sitting still, etc. they will be ready. Takes baby steps. I started hunting at 10 years old. My brother started younger than me, probably around 7 or 8.

My girls are now 6 and 3 and have been around hunting since they were babies. I have pictures of them next to us skinning deer as babies. We let them touch the deer, take pictures with it, etc. We've taken them to our WMA's here in FL to drive around and look at deer on the off season, take them with us to put out corn, set trail cameras, etc.

We try to show them the process and they help me cook the venison as well. This year lord willing will be the first time they both sit with us in the shooting house. Let's see how that goes lol but being girls, I try my best to also show them YouTube videos of girls hunting so they can see how fun it is, as we do with fishing too. Good luck!

specialk

actual stand sit about 5-6...was able to take a doe even with him talking, eating, pulling the bark off the tree my stand was leaning on, and spitting....

specialk

Ha...a blind and deaf Doe. They are out there. You just have to find them.
naw, this one crossed a gasline we were on about 150yds away...he was able to stand up and see it when i shot, turned a flip and took off....heard it pile up...left a good blood trail...he ''helped'' me track it....