First Hunt of the year with The Kid and Little Brother!!!

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Me and my Grandboys had the first opportunity to get after the squirrels this weekend.

It was blistering hot and humid but you can't kill any unless you go huntin'.

Yesterday afternoon we combined scouting and hunting on some WMA spots.

The Kid's in there somewhere...

IMG_20230819_173630329.jpg

We walked several areas, but came up empty, other than getting some exercise..

Late afternoon, we decided to hit up a spot that was a sure thing, to get Little Brother his best chance for a shot.

We were almost back to the truck, when a squirrel on the ground headed up a tree...

His .410 went BOOM, and his first squirrel hit the ground!

IMG_20230820_071053386.jpg

He was proud, and a little bit sad at the same time having taken a life...This lets me know that he gets it, and I couldn't be happier.

We thanked the squirrel for being LBs first kill, and had a Mtn. Dew toast at the skinnin' shack... :bounce:

Here's his trophy, that we made from the tail, the hull, and an old pallet board...

IMG_20230819_204050513.jpg

This morning, we headed out again, and went to our favorite WMA spot at sunrise...

The Kid went one way and me and LB went the other. I shot one runner that had eluded LB, and he was hollerin' at me to SHOOT HIM PAPA!!!

We heard The Kid's gun go off, but he said he had somehow missed, cause "that squirrel was FAST!!"

He did find a cool old 7 oz. Bud bottle from back in the day, when woke meant "up and at em"...

IMG_20230820_080448856.jpg

Headed back to the truck, the boys treed one with nowhere to go, and LB wound up being the one to see him as they circled the tree...

IMG_20230820_082855952.jpg

This made his second one of the weekend!

We stopped off at my Goat Pen Bros house on the way home, and The Kid picked up one more, giving us each a kill for the morning...

Here's a couple happy hunters!!

IMG_20230820_102032179.jpg

While we were skinnin' squirrels, my Mz. was fixing us up some much needed grub.

Egg and cheese sammiches with peach preserves rounded out the trip very nicely!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Doesn't get much bettern that!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That was a good hunt. All hunts are good but that one was memorable.

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I remember those awesome days with my dad, and wish I could've gotten some pics back then. Well done, RR! Them grandboys will never forget these days out there with you.

:cheers: