(Tips needed) Frustrating day squirrel hunting..

Squirrel hunting at a place (picture below). There are smallish hills with ridges you can't see over.
Before today, I would see squirrels up in the trees, I guess enough leaves have fallen they are all moving on the ground from what I saw today.

Four different times today I could hear a squirrel over a ridge (cause of the thick layer of dry leaves.) I would try sneak over the top of the ridge so I could see it, but every time I did that, it would hear me (even if it was 50+ yards from the ridge) and would start running as fast they could in the opposite direction of me. I had a 22LR and I'm a decent shot but can't hit a squirrel moving at full speed 25+ yards away from me. It got pretty frustrating..

Is it just time to bust out the shotgun again? Should I not be stalking them, but staying still and letting them come to me?

(Random note, I did see a coyote there today that was pretty cool, came through a couple of minutes after I tried my squirrel call out probably thought it was a injured squirrel. He's in the center of the picture. The tree that splits the photo in half, on the left side you can see his head and paw.)

Attachments

• IMG_20231222_105001124.jpg
    IMG_20231222_105001124.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Looked it up. Sure enough it's legal.
"Coyotes may be taken during any small or big game season with the appropriate lawful weapons."

I really now wish I would've had my shotgun.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Something has happened to squirrels in a lot of parts of GA. They aren't around like they were early deer season. Drought, hot, something... I'm not sure. I talk to folks all over GA who hunt with squirrel dogs and most of them say the say the same thing as I am saying. And if a good squirrel dog can't consistently find them, they are in short supply.

Toliver

Something has happened to squirrels in a lot of parts of GA. They aren't around like they were early deer season. Drought, hot, something... I'm not sure. I talk to folks all over GA who hunt with squirrel dogs and most of them say the say the same thing as I am saying. And if a good squirrel dog can't consistently find them, they are in short supply.
They've all moved to the Atlanta suburbs with the big bucks.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
FYI,... 2 quarters make a really good sqwerl call. Rub the ridges on the edges of the coins together and it makes a clicking sound like a sqwerl eating acorns or something. Don't do it much, maybe 2 or 3 times after sitting still for 5 to 10 minutes, then wait about 3 or 4 minutes before trying it again.

you can't kill enough to affect the population of sqwerls, so have at it.

WishboneW

If you can’t find cover or are taking a child you might consider a pop up blind.

Look for places where hardwoods meet pines or creek bottoms or places where there are berries or other food sources like water oaks

44magpastor

I thought it was just me. Saw very few during deer season. My sons mentioned it before I said anything. We tried to get a mess Tuesday. Worked ourselves to death to get 2. They are definitely not as abundant as previous years.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I thought it was just me. Saw very few during deer season. My sons mentioned it before I said anything. We tried to get a mess Tuesday. Worked ourselves to death to get 2. They are definitely not as abundant as previous years.
And a good dog can get 3x as many as a man with a 22 still hunting. Been tough running a young dog 5his yr but she'll be better for it next yr.