Can you teach an old dog squirrel hunting

JR924

I have a 7 year old Jackabee house dog (1/2 Jack Russell and 1/2 Beagle). He is very athletic still. He does chase squirrels and follows them in the trees but does not sniff them out. Only reacts when he sees them on the ground. Can I train him to be a squirrel dog.??? My brother has a lot of woods but not that thick with squirrels and they are shy and elusive; but I thought the dog could help me hunt them. I am thinking the dog right now in those woods would not give much time for finding squirrels. I can live trap them at home for training if needed. He does go crazy when I let him chase them out fo the trap. Please advise if it is worth my effort and what to do to make him a decent squirrel dog. Thanks for all replies.

Attachments

• Murphy hearing word treat.jpg
    Murphy hearing word treat.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 6

Hillbilly stalker

Man I enjoy every second in the woods with a dog. But that being said.... the odds are stacked way against him making a squirrel dog. Your going against nature and the way he was bred for hundreds of years. A Jack Russell is a terrier, they've been bred forever to "go to ground" and dig out varmints. A beagle has been bred forever to chase and trail a rabbit. To be much of a squirrel dog, he needs to find them and bark at the tree, neither of his breeds are tree dogs. I've know several Jr's that would chase a squirrel, but loose interest once its up in a tree and out of sight and never bark. But hey, if you can get him to the woods and get him to catch on and help you out finding squirrels, give it a shot. Just dont think less of him if it doesn't happen, he's just not wired that way. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

crackerdave

I would say spend a little money and get a squirrel dog that is from a line of good tree dogs.

I used to organize youth squirrel hunts that brought kids and trained dogs together.They really enjoy hunting where they don't have to be still and quiet.
Liability risks made me give it up.The cost of insurance is too high for me,or I'd still be doing those hunts.I would have to charge enough to cover that cost.

Last edited:

Pruitt1

Man I enjoy every second in the woods with a dog. But that being said.... the odds are stacked way against him making a squirrel dog. Your going against nature and the way he was bred for hundreds of years. A Jack Russell is a terrier, they've been bred forever to "go to ground" and dig out varmints. A beagle has been bred forever to chase and trail a rabbit. To be much of a squirrel dog, he needs to find them and bark at the tree, neither of his breeds are tree dogs. I've know several Jr's that would chase a squirrel, but loose interest once its up in a tree and out of sight and never bark. But hey, if you can get him to the woods and get him to catch on and help you out finding squirrels, give it a shot. Just dont think less of him if it doesn't happen, he's just not wired that way. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
This is spot on.

JR924

I was thinking of capturing a squirrel in a Havahart trap, hang him up on a tree using my ladder, let the dog out and let him find the squrirrel. Put him back in the house, move the squirrel and let him out again. Do this maybe 10 times. Only problem is I really need to be using an extension ladder as can only go up say 10 feet with my step ladder. Still worth effort hauling the extension ladder thru the woods if it works. What do you think?

Hillbilly stalker

Fill an old sock about 1/8th way with dirt or sand. Tie a rope to it so you have a throw bag.. Wire the locks shut on the trap. Pour some water over the squirrel to leave more scent. Drag the cage about 20 yards or so across the ground. Throw your rope up over a limb and pull the trap up in the air and tie it off. No need for any ladder. If he finds it…..encourage him to bark or speak. Don’t do it very many times,dogs learn to bark at the cage. If you have an experienced squirrel dog man close, he mite be up for helping you a little bit. Squirrel won’t live but a day or so in a trap. Terriers-and beagles generally don’t bark up tho.

longrangedog

The biggest factor in a dogs hunting abilities is genetics. A dog out of proven squirrel dog stock won't need training beyond time spent in the woods where there are squirrels. Having a seasoned dog along will get the untrained dog up to speed faster.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Fill an old sock about 1/8th way with dirt or sand. Tie a rope to it so you have a throw bag.. Wire the locks shut on the trap. Pour some water over the squirrel to leave more scent. Drag the cage about 20 yards or so across the ground. Throw your rope up over a limb and pull the trap up in the air and tie it off. No need for any ladder. If he finds it…..encourage him to bark or speak. Don’t do it very many times,dogs learn to bark at the cage. If you have an experienced squirrel dog man close, he mite be up for helping you a little bit. Squirrel won’t live but a day or so in a trap. Terriers-and beagles generally don’t bark up tho.
Had a yorkie, Lucky, chased them like crazy, but they could be 5 ft above him and he would never look up.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Some dogs love the hunt some don’t. I shot one squirrel out to my GSP and it was game on. If the squirrel doesn’t hit a tree quick he’ll catch and kill the squirrel and bring it back to me. If I’m nearby he’ll bark trees if he can see the squirrel and does a good job of timbering a squirrel also but he’s a bird dog first and that’s what I focus on most.

RedFoxx

same here.. I have 3 gsp and they are the best dogs i have ever had..they actually understand english and i thought i was gonna have to learn german.. so far we have killed 57 squirrels...they pile out of the swamp and try to eat all the pecans...when i pickup the gun they start barking and hollering and jumping like crazy...and yes...they catch the squirrels if they hit the ground and follow them in the trees...but like yours they love quail bird hunting. I have one that will track a deer too!.. if you never have owned a german shorthair pointer(gsp) they will be the best dog you ever had...these 3 are my 3rd 4th and 5th ones and all were super dogs.