Hack and squirt

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I am in a battle to the death with some popcorn trees (Chinese tallow trees). I have had some success with straight 41% gly on smaller diameter trees. Baseball bat and smaller I just took my pruning saw and scraped off the bark down to the cambium layer on a couple sides close to the ground and sprayed the gly. I'd say it killed 90%. I have some really big ones.... like 50-60' tall that I took an ax and cut 5-6 notches at the base and sprayed the gly in there. It made them really sick and they dropped of the blooms which is a bonus for this year.. but it looks like most of the bigger ones are gonna survive. What is a better alternative and should I do this before spring green up next year or now?? If I can just break the life cycle and get rid of the seed producers, I feel like over the next 10 years I can pull up all the seedlings one at the time and and win this war!

treemanjohn

Banned
I'm not getting where you say you scraped at the base.... Hack a hatchet cut chest high. One cut per 2 or 3 inches of diameter. Just a few drops inserted into the hole. I also use spray indicator religiously so I know what's done and whats not at a glance. Do not girdle the tree. The object is to keep it alive and not interrupt its location of nutrients

I prefer RM43 it has a little Imazapyr and its cheap. I've seen nothing live after application, but I did have a sweet gum rebound for a few months before dying.

Deer Fanatic

I was careful not to girdle the trees.... on the small diameter ones, I just scraped the bark away on a couple sides instead of hacking for fear I would cut them off. I'd rather kill them standing so I don't end up with sharp stumps later to run over. Is The 43% that much better than the 41? Those bigger ones may die yet.. I will keep an eye on them

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I had one big one in my yard that I cut down and painted the stump with brush killer. I still had to spray the shoots off of the stump later but I finally killed it. Those trees are a serious nuisance.

Tight Lines

I don't think you can just break the life cycle by killing the older trees FYI...they generate incredible amounts of seeds and can sprout from roots. The seeds can stay dormant in the soil for quite a while.

I've been fighting the same battle with an acre of privet...the cycle I am following is goats to eat the undergrowth, cut and kill the large trees, goats again, pull up the smaller shoots, goats again, then pine straw so the seeds and root shoots don't have a chance to grow...but once you have had privet, like the popcorn trees, the seeds and root shoots are there for a while...just takes time...

Last edited:

Deer Fanatic

I don't think you can just break the life cycle by killing the older trees FYI...they generate incredible amounts of seeds and can sprout from roots. The seeds can stay dormant in the soil for quite a while.

I've been fighting the same battle with an acre of privet...the cycle I am following is goats to eat the undergrowth, cut and kill the large trees, goats again, pull up the smaller shoots, goats again, then pine straw so the seeds and root shoots don't have a change to grow...but once you have had privet, like the popcorn trees, the seeds and root shoots are there for a while...just takes time...
I just meant no seed production for this year! All of these trees are in about a 1/4 acre spot at the shallow end of my pond. Figured if I can kill the tree AND roots then the offspring from the 3 ga-jillion seeds will be a slightly easier task. I am constantly pulling up new trees even 300-400yds from where this clump is so it's gonna take a long time I know

Tight Lines

I just meant no seed production for this year! All of these trees are in about a 1/4 acre spot at the shallow end of my pond. Figured if I can kill the tree AND roots then the offspring from the 3 ga-jillion seeds will be a slightly easier task. I am constantly pulling up new trees even 300-400yds from where this clump is so it's gonna take a long time I know

I hear ya. I have drilled a large hole at a 45 degree angle into the trunk, and then fill it with brush killer...about every 3 inches all the way around the trunk in a spiral...that will kill it...use a Forstner bit that is 1" or so...

treemanjohn

Banned
I was careful not to girdle the trees.... on the small diameter ones, I just scraped the bark away on a couple sides instead of hacking for fear I would cut them off. I'd rather kill them standing so I don't end up with sharp stumps later to run over. Is The 43% that much better than the 41? Those bigger ones may die yet.. I will keep an eye on them
RM43 has a little Imazapyr plus glyphosate. I've never seen anything live from it

No need for deep cuts or drilling holes. Just a 1/4" deep hatchet cut is fine. Scraping the bark will cause it to callous and the tree will stop the flow

Deer Fanatic

I'm not getting where you say you scraped at the base.... Hack a hatchet cut chest high. One cut per 2 or 3 inches of diameter. Just a few drops inserted into the hole. I also use spray indicator religiously so I know what's done and whats not at a glance. Do not girdle the tree. The object is to keep it alive and not interrupt its location of nutrients

I prefer RM43 it has a little Imazapyr and its cheap. I've seen nothing live after application, but I did have a sweet gum rebound for a few months before dying.
I picked up some RM43 the other day.. I did a test on some that I havn't treated yet and also some that were really sick from the roundup application but seem to have come out of it. Time will tell

Deer Fanatic

I.used rm43 couple days ago on alot of overgrown stuff. Nothing died. Sprayed 4 gal
I would imagine it would take 10 days or so to see the results. Did you spray or hack and squirt?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I sprayed all the low ivy and weeds and small privet along with monkey grass and a bunch of other stuff i dont know what it is, snapped a few of the limbs on the trees and sprayed it in there along with the leaves. All i see is some of the poison ivy wilting a little

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
Its only been bout 48 hrs though. Stuff ive used in the past i would spray in the morning and that evening every thing was already wilting

treemanjohn

Banned
I picked up some RM43 the other day.. I did a test on some that I havn't treated yet and also some that were really sick from the roundup application but seem to have come out of it. Time will tell
Hack and squirt is not fast. It can take a month 2 months in the winter sometimes. They're going to die no worries

treemanjohn

Banned
I sprayed all the low ivy and weeds and small privet along with monkey grass and a bunch of other stuff i dont know what it is, snapped a few of the limbs on the trees and sprayed it in there along with the leaves. All i see is some of the poison ivy wilting a little
RM43 is concentrate glyphosate with imazapyr. Imazapyr will sterilize the ground and its slow acting. It takes time

Did you spray English ivy?

Triple C

I've become a big fan of hack n squirt for undesired trees. I used straight gly back in late winter on multiple species of trees, some quite large. From what I can tell, 100% success rate. I'll be doing more of it this winter.

Pilgrim

The Chinese Tallow is about as tough as they come. The mixture I use to murder sweetgums will only make a tallow tree drop a few leaves. I’ve been cutting the big ones down waste-high, then drilling several holes in the stump, and painting the stump with straight glyphosate. I hope it kills them. I need a mixture that will kill the small trees - about as big around as your finger. What would y’all recommend??

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
East Texas is slap eat up with Tallow trees. Shame.