A Swing & A Miss

elhoward622

I had my first shot opportunity at a buck with my trad bow and boy was it fun! All except for the missing part?. I decided to slip hunt through a new to me section of public land mid morning before the rain rolled in.

I put on a painfully slow stalk into the wind along a deer trail in between some thickets and hardwoods. A nice sized doe slipped across the trial just across a small rise in front of me. I couldn’t get a shot on her, so I parked myself there and watched her back trail. A few minutes later I heard some movement coming from the thicket below me and finally a nice young 8 point popped into view. He was pretty far out and I contemplated slipping up a little closer to where the doe crossed, but I opted to stay still and hang tight. He hit the trail at what I thought was about 30 yards. I drew back, hit my anchor, picked out a dark tuft of hair in the shoulder crease, focused in and let off a smooth release. The arrow launched, arched up smoothly on a perfect path for his vital and in what felt like slow motion, dropped pitifully just under his ribs and into the dirt.

I had grossly misjudged the distance between us thanks to lack of experience and a subtle dip in the rise separating us. I was incredibly bummed out but thankful it was a clean miss and thankful for the opportunity to stock up on such a fine animal. That was my first shot on a deer with my recurve and although it was a mess I felt really good about my shot sequence, my release, and the fact that I didn’t pee my pants when the moment of truth came?. I have really struggled to set up on deer correctly this year but I am determined to harvest one with my train bow. Anyway it was fun as **** and I can’t wait to get back out after them.

Attachments

• EE1E6314-1C40-41A6-B460-3323BD9E0FE5.jpeg
    EE1E6314-1C40-41A6-B460-3323BD9E0FE5.jpeg
    264.4 KB · Views: 28

Wifeshusband

I forget who said it, but you'll learn more from your misses than your hits.
Part of the game. You're moving downfield and will be in the end zone before you know it.

hambone76

Congratulations on a successful hunt, the kill is just a bonus. Keep at it, have fun and you’ll connect with one.

Al33

Great story, I enjoyed the read!!(y) 30 yards is a very long poke with any trad bow. Trad bow hunting critters, especially deer, is a game of CLOSE and it's a good idea to remember that. Play according to the rules which are determined by yardages you are very confident in. Even if your effective range is 15 yards and a deer passes outside of that range just chalk it up to "The deer won that game." Even if you make what would otherwise be a perfect shot on a deer at 20+ yards it can do a lot of things between the time you release an arrow and when it gets there. Just some thoughts to ponder and I wish uyou the best of luck in your trad hunting adventures!!:)